Unexpected Band / Mode switching

AD6XY
I have a fairly elderly K3, SN500s. I have noticed recently that occasionally when I hit the band up switch the mode changes but the band doesn't. Seems to be getting more frequent. Is this a common problem and is there a fix?

Mike

Re: Unexpected Band / Mode switching

markmusick
Mike,
Your problem is most likely the front panel connectors. This is a known
problem for early K3s. Early K3s had tin connectors between the front panel
and RF board. Elecraft switched to gold connectors around serial #4000. I
just had my serial #3505 in for upgrades and they switched the connectors
while they had it.
You can contact Elecraft and they will send you the gold connectors for you
to switch out yourself or send the radio back to Elecraft and they will
change them for you if you are uncomfortable doing it yourself.

Mark Musick, WB9CIF

I have a fairly elderly K3, SN500s. I have noticed recently that
occasionally when I hit the band up switch the mode changes but the band
doesn't. Seems to be getting more frequent. Is this a common problem and is
there a fix?

Mike

delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Unexpected Band / Mode switching

AD6XY
Thanks - makes sense. Presumably tarnishing. Couldn't I just clean them?

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Unexpected Band / Mode switching

Don Wilhelm
Mike,

Cleaning is a temporary fix.  Changing to the gold pins is a permanent
solution.

You could try just removing the front panel and putting it back on.  The
wiping action that results will clean oxidation from the pins.
Do that as a temporary fix.  The real fix is to change to the gold pin
connectors.

On 8/9/2016 10:06 AM, Mike Willis wrote:
> Thanks - makes sense. Presumably tarnishing. Couldn't I just clean them?

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Unexpected Band / Mode switching

KEN-3
I have recently had my K3 switch modes as I tune up the band. Like from
LSB to CW.  My s/n is 6000+ though.

Ken WA8JXM