Upgrading Unbuilt K2 #3275

Freemangw55
When I purchased K2 #2811 almost two years ago, a lot of intervening
"happenings" delayed my starting to build it.  I did buy most of  the accessories
including the KPA100 but excluding DSP, either KAT or the  BATT.  I also bought
the KPA100 Shield Upgrade and the entire Rev B  Upgrade including the circuit
boards.

Now, if I get both the MCU 1.09 Upgrade and the K2 Key Mod Kit, will I  be
able to use Revision F of the K2 Manual to start building?  Or,  have there been
minor component changes and "tweaks" in the latest  version of the manual
that did not rise to the level of actual mods.

For my curiosity's sake, what happened to K2 Manual Revision E.  It's  not
available now.  Did
it ever exist? Is there a juicy story behind this question?

Tnx,
GW Freeman
You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Upgrading Unbuilt K2 #3275

Don Wilhelm-2
If you have the post 3000 circuit boards, the proper answer is - yes, you
can build from the Rev F manual - BUT there is one cut trace on the RF board
that is not cut on yours (that cut is mentioned in the first column of page
52 of the Revision F manual as having been cut at the factory).  The second
is the Control Board - the Revision F manual assumes that the cut has been
made that is detailed on page 3 of the Keying Waveshape Modification
instructions, follow the instructions provided with the mod kit to make that
cut.

Also, you will find yourself without the thermister PC board unless you also
have the PLL Temperature stability mod, and your BFO toroid may be different
than what is shown unless you ordered the BFO upgrade kit - the new toroid
is shipped prewound with very fine wire. (you may have ordered these when
you ordered the A to B kit - I'm just trying to be complete).  You will also
be short 2 1N4148 diodes to use for D40 and D41 unless you have a couple in
your junkbox.

That is all I can think of right now.  Actually, it would be easier building
to the Rev E manual and then adding the Keying waveshape mod and the PLL
stability mod.  The diodes to prevent IF overload with strong nearby signals
is not provided as a mod kit, but is quite easy to apply as long as you have
the diodes.

Pardon if I have made an omission or two in this post - it is a lot to
remember - but what I said is close - I just completed a K2 (SN 37xx) in a
similar situation about a week ago and I compared the Rev E and Rev F
manuals to see what the differences are (not much).  OTOH, I am not a first
time K2 builder either, YMMV.

Life is what happens when you are making other plans