Using KX3 with MFJ-1899T

Johnny Siu
Hello Elecrafters,

I tried to use this portable telescopic antenna with the right angle BNC adapter.  However, the whip is quite heavy and cannot stand on its own without falling.  I trust this has been discussed before.  Any solutions on the set up this portable whip?
 Meanwhile, I finished building the KX3 kit and faced some problems in the TX gain caliration.  The calibration began at 1.9Mhz but stopped at 5.3Mhz with an error message of high SWR in the ANT. However, I am using a dummy load for the calibration. The same dummy load was used in the calibration of K3 in the past. What is the likely problem for my KX3?  The KX3 was powered by a 12v 7Ahr lead acid battery

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

Re: Using KX3 with MFJ-1899T

Don Butler
Hi Johnny,

I use the MFJ telescoping whips with my KX1 and KX3, but I opted for the
single band antennas (17m, 20m, 40) rather than the multiband 1899t, which
is much larger and heavier... I don't like mounting the whips directly to
the radio with a right angle adapter . not sure if the antenna is holding
the radio or vice versa, but the weight does seem to put a significant load
on the rig's bnc connector. so I made a little bnc base out of scrap
aluminum, and use it portable when it's not convenient or practical to
string up a random wire. the setup works, but not as well as random wires,
so it's a backup system at best.  I have a few photos of the aluminum bnc
base posted here which will give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

http://www.udxa.org/gallery/show_thumbs.php?id=29

73, Don, N5LZ

Using KX3 with MFJ-1899T

Johnny Siu
Thanks Don, perhaps, I may be too greedy to go for a multiband 1899t

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

寄件人︰ Don Butler <[hidden email]>
收件人︰ Johnny Siu <[hidden email]>; [hidden email]
副本(CC)︰ Elecraft <[hidden email]>
傳送日期︰ 2012年07月6日 (週五) 8:55 AM
主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] Using KX3 with MFJ-1899T

----- Original Message ----- From: "Johnny Siu" <[hidden email]>

Re: Using KX3 with MFJ-1899T

Ronald Nutter
I have ordered a MFJ-1899T and had similar concerns about the potential
weight on the connector.  I went with a MFJ-332B mag base with BNC
connector.  When traveling on business, I will usually have a rental
car.  This will let me use the car as a base for the antenna.  I was
trying to find a compact solutions as possible to take with me.

May eventually try the single band antennas, I have only found the MFJ
versions. Seems the Maldol ones arent made anymore.

Ron
KA4KYI