Using KX3 with MFJ-1899T

Robert S. McCuskey-2
With my KX-3, KX-1, and K-1,  I have used the MFJ-1899T attached to the
Alpha-Delta mini-tripod made for the Outback Joey antenna. Attached to it is
a 35 ft #24 stealth wire counterpoise with markings for the various lengths
needed for 40-10 meters allowing me to unwind off the spool to the proper
length depending on band in use. It works well when a better antenna such as
an EFHW can not be deployed, e.g., in a hotel room.  One note of caution,
the settings contained in the instructions for the 1899-T that come with the
antenna are not accurate and one has to recalibrate, and, here, the use of
an antenna analyzer is very helpful.   However, the settings contained on
the instructions posted on the MFJ web site are fairly close as are the
counterpoise lengths.

Bob McCuskey W7BV

Re: [Elecraft] Using KX3 with MFJ-1899T

Ronald Nutter
Sat, 07 Jul 2012 04:22:53 -0700

I have ordered a MFJ-1899T and had similar concerns about the potential

weight on the connector.  I went with a MFJ-332B mag base with BNC

connector.  When traveling on business, I will usually have a rental

car.  This will let me use the car as a base for the antenna.  I was

trying to find a compact solutions as possible to take with me.

May eventually try the single band antennas, I have only found the MFJ

versions. Seems the Maldol ones arent made anymore.

Ron

KA4KYI