VOX on digital modes?

Parker Buckley
Is there any fundamental reason why I can't use VOX control while running
PSK with my K2?  I've never used VOX with this rig on SSB, but I assume it
works okay.  I recall much discussion about lack of mic gain not triggering
the VOX, so I'm wondering if that is also limiting what I can do running
digital modes.  If so, I'll stick with PTT.

Thanks,
Parker
WD8JOL K2 #2636

Re: VOX on digital modes?

Don Wilhelm-4
Parker,

The K2 VOX does not work well with PSK - by the time the audio is
cranked up enough to trip the VOX reliably, you will be driving the
audio input too hard and the transmitted IMD will suffer.  The VOX in
the K2 works OK for voice, but not as well for the more steady audio
tones of soundcard digital modes, so I recommend you stay with the PTT
operation - since you apparently already have that working, I see no
advantage to change.

The K3 VOX OTOH is very smooth and will work quite well for afsk data modes.

Parker Buckley wrote:
> Is there any fundamental reason why I can't use VOX control while running
> PSK with my K2?  I've never used VOX with this rig on SSB, but I assume it
> works okay.  I recall much discussion about lack of mic gain not triggering
> the VOX, so I'm wondering if that is also limiting what I can do running
> digital modes.  If so, I'll stick with PTT.

RE: VOX on digital modes?

Parker Buckley
Don,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I expected you would jump on my question!  I'll
stick with the PTT setup.  I'm looking at options for going portable with a
laptop, and VOX may have made that easier.

I hear you about the K3.  I keep looking at my Hallicrafters gear, thinking
I could turn that into a K3 at the next Hamvention....

73,

Parker Buckley wrote:
> Is there any fundamental reason why I can't use VOX control while running
> PSK with my K2?  I've never used VOX with this rig on SSB, but I assume it
> works okay.  I recall much discussion about lack of mic gain not
triggering
> the VOX, so I'm wondering if that is also limiting what I can do running
> digital modes.  If so, I'll stick with PTT.

K3 and NR

Lennart Michaëlsson

Suddenly lost my NR ability in my K3. Just getting N/A regardless which
filters are in or if NB turned on/off.

Using latest F/W 02.57

Any hints, someone, please.

Len
SM7BIC

SV: K3 and NR

Lennart Michaëlsson
And the answer is TURN on AGC before starting to ask, now it is working ok.
73
all
SM7BIC