W1: Announcing the RWD-1 (Remote Wattmeter Display) for the W1

W1: Announcing the RWD-1 (Remote Wattmeter Display) for the W1

Dave Van Wallaghen
Hello all,

Steve Silverman, KB3SII, has designed a remote head for the W1 wattmeter
that utilizes the serial port and serial commands of the W1 to remotely
display many of the software functions of the W1 including forward,
reverse, peak and average power. They are displayed on a Newhaven LCD
graphic module and Steve has come up with a very nice and tight package
with a small footprint for very convenient placement. In essence, this
unit will emulate many of the W1 software commands in a nice hardware
package without the need for a computer. It will of course be offered
with one of my Lexan enclosures for protection form the elements and
operators.

It was our intention to publish some details and pictures on my website
and make the announcement here on the reflector as well as display the
unit in the Elecraft booth in Dayton this weekend. But, do to some
unforeseen and unfortunate circumstances on my end, I am not able to
update my site before departing for Dayton. In fact, I will not be able
to arrive in Dayton until Saturday morning. So, I am announcing the
RWD-1 here in hopes that any of you who are attending Dayton this year
will drop by on Saturday or Sunday to see a demo version of the unit.

I should have enough time to complete a couple of enclosures for the
demo units this week and will meet Steve on Saturday to put the demo
units together. We have not settled on exact pricing as yet, but plan to
offer the RWD-1 as separate components: the RWD-1 display kit, serial
cable, and enclosure. Or as a total package. We would value any input
form those interested in this product by those attending the show or I
would be happy to answer questions posted on the reflector, although, my
time will be very restricted for the next few days until I arrive in Dayton.

This is a very exciting project that enhances the W1 nicely and should
fill the niche of display performance problems noted here on the
reflector a number of weeks ago. I also believe the RWD-1 will fill a
gap between the W1 and the new W2 I saw announced by Wayne here today
(good stuff).

So please drop by the booth and ask me about this project. I will also
have my enclosures on display as well and be taking in the buzz of all
that is Elecraft in the booth. I will try to answer any email questions
you have, but please be patient for my replies for a few days. As time
permits, I will put up a page on my website with pictures and
documentation for the RWD-1 along with pricing info.

Take care all and hope to see you in Dayton.

73,
Dave W8FGU