W1/K2 Question

Tom McCulloch
Hi gang,
   I have a W1 watt meter, which I probably purchased just before the W2
was released, and I'm finally fed up with changing the 9 volt battery
every time I forget to turn the W1 off.  So I'm thinking of pulling the
voltage from my K2 to power the W1.

In the back of my mind I'm remembering a thread from a good number of
years ago which advised "Don't pull any voltage from the K2 for external
uses".  Does anyone know if it would be OK to take 9 to 13 volts from
the K2 to power my W1 (which really doesn't draw much current).  If so,
has any one tapped into the K2 to set up a voltage out jack?  I'd be
interested in knowing where you took the voltage. I'm looking at P3 or
perhaps F1 (I have the the battery installed in the K2).

OK and thanks for any help you may provide.

Tom, WB2QDG
K2 #1103

Re: W1/K2 Question

Don Wilhelm-4
Tom,

I would suggest if you do that, to use the cathode of D12 for the source
of your voltage.  That is turned on/OFF with the K2 power switch.

The K2 maximum current (CAL CUR) is normally set to 3.50, and the
internal fuse is rated at 5 Amps.
The difference is 150 ma, but I would suggest limiting the draw to 100
ma or less.  The W1 is spec'ed at 30 ma with 10 LEDs lighted, so no problem.