W2 Wattmeter wish

Tony Scesny
     It looks like the W2 is well on its way, but I just wanted to
present my case why I can't buy one.  The display is just not presented
accurately enough for me.   It takes a computer link to present the info
in detail and thats not what I envision doing.  It seems that the info
is there in the box almost down to the watt, but you can't be sure what
your power is squinting at a bar graph to tell you that you are
somewhere within 100 watts of your target. To my way of thinking it's
only relative info. Not good for me.

   Here's what I would think would be a KILLER that I would buy in a
minute.  I would like to see  two windows of  7-segment GREEN LEDS.
(Thats 4 characters XXXX)  to display the forward power and another
window to display the SWR. (X.XX)  These LEDs would be large enough to
read across the room.  I would then buy two directional couplers.  A low
power at 200 watts is more than enough for the input side of the QRO AMP
and another for the output side at 2500 watts.   That way both sides of
the AMP can be monitored with  just one press of the sensor switch.
But, thats something you can already do with the current configuration.

   The real deal is observing the actual power out of the amp and SWR.
The current bar graph would supplement these windows and provide and
easy way to see the trends while tuning.  There are other units out
there that are, perhaps,  more accurate and even present FREQ readouts,
but the main problem with these is all the info is cluttered on one
screen which is hard to decipher.  I like the W2 format but,  it just
needs to be taken to another level.  LEDs would really standout and
should be able to present the info as accurate as the computer.

   Thanks ELECRAFT  and I hope it continues to keep getting better.

73  Tony   K2ZLS

W2 Wattmeter wish

Ken Kopp-3
Hello Tony,

I have a W2 and I'm really pleased with it and the accuracy
of the readings.

I'm fussy ... probably too much so ... about power readings
and have satisfied myself that the W2 display is -at least-
as accurate as the two Bird meters that are permanently
installed in my station.

I have a low-power sensor on the output of my K3 and a
high-power sensor on the output of my PA, which allows
me to read the power of either / both units.

I find that ... regardless of power level ... the LED for a
given power agrees with the Birds at the point where it
just illuminates.

The SWR LED display is especially handy when tuning an
antenna tuner for minimum reflected power.

I don't think one can ask for better accuracy than this from
any power meter likely to be found in the average amateur
station. 5 - 10% of full-scale is considered accurate in the
wattmeter world.

73! Ken Kopp - K0PP
     [hidden email]

Re: W2 Wattmeter wish

Johnny Siu
Hello Tony,

LP100A from Larry Philip, which is a vector power meter, will fulfill your requirement BUT it is more expensive.  I have both LP100A and W2.

Since LP100A does not have a V/U coupler, I get my W2 to cover the V/U band segment.  Bird meter is so called the industrial standard (if well calibrate), I would prefer both LP100A and W2.  These meters are at least as accurate as the Bird.

73

Johnny VR2XMC

----- 郵件原件 ----
寄件人﹕ k2zls <[hidden email]>
收件人﹕ [hidden email]
傳送日期﹕ 2010/2/22 (一) 11:14:15 AM
主題: [Elecraft] W2 Wattmeter wish

[...]

W2 Wattmeter wish - Additional

Ken Kopp-3
I failed to mention that Array Solutions -does- make
a wattmeter that likely meets your needs.  It's their
PowerMaster model, which you can view on their
website.

73! Ken Kopp - K0PP
      [hidden email]

Re: W2 Wattmeter wish

Brett Howard
Larry Phipps at Telepost inc also makes the LP-100A that does just what
you want as well...

You get a two line display with a VFT display that is very high
contrast.  You get one line for power and one for SWR.  You can also
change that to be FWD and REF power if you want.  You also get a LOT
more for your money on that in that you can get at all the phase
information as well.  If you're willing to hook it up to a computer you
can get a full smith plot of your antennas.

Its also quite inexpensive and comes in a full up solder together kit if
you wish.

~Brett (KC7OTG)