W2problems

Alan Grant
I feel that I have a problem with my W2, when I connect the directional
coupler to my K3/100 s/n 05779, it indicates what I think is the correct
SWR and Power out, swr 1.1 to 1.2, then the atu brings it back to 1.0
however, when I connect the directional coupler to the output of my KPA500
the W2 shows the SWR as nearly maximum, and the forward power of 20-30
watts; however the SWR indication on the KPA500 shows

only about 1 to 2 SWR leds and the output around 300 watts.

I would have thought that having the coupler rated at 2kw it should be
connected to the output of the Amplifier.

Have I thought wrong again, because what is the point of the W2 only
showing the output references of the K3/100.

When I have the W2 connected to the K3/100 and the KPA500 in the operating
mode the SWR shown on the KPA500 is about2;1 and I am not happy for it
being that high, I don't want to hurt my new toys.

I would like to know the correct way to connect the W2 so I am sure of the
"Correct" Swr

Hoping that someone can enlighten me

73's

Alan Grant

VK4KO

Re: W2problems

Robert Friess
Alan,

Check that you have the coupler connected in the right direction when you
have it on the KPA500.  From your description, it sounds like it is
connected backwards.

73,
Bob, N6CM

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 7:56 PM, Alan Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I feel that I have a problem with my W2, when I connect the directional
> coupler to my K3/100 s/n 05779, it indicates what I think is the correct
> SWR and Power out, swr 1.1 to 1.2, then the atu brings it back to 1.0
> however, when I connect the directional coupler to the output of my KPA500
> the W2 shows the SWR as nearly maximum, and the forward power of 20-30
> watts; however the SWR indication on the KPA500 shows
>
> only about 1 to 2 SWR leds and the output around 300 watts.
>
> I would have thought that having the coupler rated at 2kw it should be
> connected to the output of the Amplifier.
>
> Have I thought wrong again, because what is the point of the W2 only
> showing the output references of the K3/100.
>
> When I have the W2 connected to the K3/100 and the KPA500 in the operating
> mode the SWR shown on the KPA500 is about2;1 and I am not happy for it
> being that high, I don't want to hurt my new toys.
>
> I would like to know the correct way to connect the W2 so I am sure of the
> "Correct" Swr
>
> Hoping that someone can enlighten me
>
> 73's
>
> Alan Grant
>
> VK4KO

Re: W2problems

Ken G Kopp

If the cover of the sensor has been removed and then
replaced in a reversed position, this might be the cause.

The labels should be on the sensor "chassis" and -not-
on the cover.  This would avoid this potential problem.

73!
Ken Kopp - K0PP
http://tinyurl.com/7lm3m5