W3FPR's Fixed AF Output Kit Mounting

w0ag
I just received Don's Fixed AF kit and would like to commend him for his
work in getting it designed and put together in kit form.  It performs as
expected and will be very useful.

In trying to mount the completed board in my K2-100, I encountered a problem
that others might run into, depending on the serial number and/or shield mod
that is installed.  If you have the mod (or newer K2) that includes a shield
for the speaker, the recommended mounting position on the left side panel
will probably not work due to the decreased clearance.  I tried everywhere
along the side panel in all rotations, but could not find a spot that gave
enough clearance. The speaker shield is just a bit too big. It also projects
down far enough to preclude mounting horizontally on the RF board in that
general area. I would up mounting it on top of U1, the I/O controller, in
a horizontal position by exposing only a small section of the adhesive
backing strip.  Don't know if that will create any problems, but seems to
be OK so far.

73,
Mike - W0AG

Re: W3FPR's Fixed AF Output Kit Mounting

Pauli Nunez EA3BLQ
Hi there Mike and all,

Have read Mike's message and an alarm bell has immediately rang in my brain.
What's that about a mod including a "SHIELD FOR THE SPEAKER" on the "newer
K2" that may prevent Don's Fixed AF kit from being mounted in the
recommended position because, as Mike says: "The speaker shield is just a
bit too big"?

Have been searching Elecraft's web for info on this "K2's Speaker Shield"
and have found nothing. What am I loosing? Or is Mike talking about the
integrated K2/100 and is making reference to the KPA100's (not the K2)
shield installed between the KPA100 and the K2 to protect the K2 from the RF
emanated by the KPA100 under high SWR? If this is the case I'll switch off
the "ALARM" sign and my K2DI v.III and K2DI-PCI project will be safe and
sound.

Greetings from Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain to all.

73 Pauli, EA3BLQ
K2/100 # 1044
[hidden email]
[hidden email]

>I just received Don's Fixed AF kit and would like to commend him for his
>work in getting it designed and put together in kit form.  It performs as
>expected and will be very useful.
>
>In trying to mount the completed board in my K2-100, I encountered a
problem
>that others might run into, depending on the serial number and/or shield
mod
>that is installed.  If you have the mod (or newer K2) that includes a
shield
>for the speaker, the recommended mounting position on the left side panel
>will probably not work due to the decreased clearance.  I tried everywhere
>along the side panel in all rotations, but could not find a spot that gave
>enough clearance. The speaker shield is just a bit too big. It also
projects
>down far enough to preclude mounting horizontally on the RF board in that
>general area. I would up mounting it on top of U1, the I/O controller, in
>a horizontal position by exposing only a small section of the adhesive
>backing strip.  Don't know if that will create any problems, but seems to
>be OK so far.
>
>73,
>Mike - W0AG

Re: W3FPR's Fixed AF Output Kit Mounting

w0ag
Pauli,

You can switch off the alarm bells!  The shield I am referring to is on
the speaker for the integrated K2-100, but probably not a base K2.  I'm
assuming that the speaker shield is only included on the amp, but Wayne
or Eric might want to clarify if that is not the case.

Sorry for any confusion!

73,
Mike-W0AG

> From: "Pauli Nunez EA3BLQ" <[hidden email]>
> To: "Mike Murray" <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>
> Date: Thu, Jul-8-2004 6:08 AM
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] W3FPR's Fixed AF Output Kit Mounting
>
> Hi there Mike and all,
>
> Have read Mike's message and an alarm bell has immediately rang in my brain.
> What's that about a mod including a "SHIELD FOR THE SPEAKER" on the "newer
> K2" that may prevent Don's Fixed AF kit from being mounted in the
> recommended position because, as Mike says: "The speaker shield is just a
> bit too big"?

Re: W3FPR's Fixed AF Output Kit Mounting

John Huffman
I think it depends on when you got the shield upgrade kit for the KPA100.  Mine
had no speaker shield.  However, later versions of the kit had the shield that
fits over the KPA100 speaker.  I never saw much discussion here on the speaker
shield being added to the kit and haven't noticed any side effects of not having
the shield.

Been thinking the next time I get something form Elecraft, I'll ask them to add
the speaker shield to the order.

73 de NA8M
John

> You can switch off the alarm bells!  The shield I am referring to is on
> the speaker for the integrated K2-100, but probably not a base K2.  I'm
> assuming that the speaker shield is only included on the amp

Speaker Shield

Pauli Nunez EA3BLQ
Hi all,

Thanks Mike and John,

I got my shield upgrade kit for the KPA100 with no speaker shield either and
had no notice about such device until now. I have downloaded the current
"KPA100 shield upgrade manual" and have seen what is all about. I'll have to
order one of those "speaker shield" too but have not seen it listed in the
Spare Parts or Miscellaneous page at Elecraft's site.

73 Pauli EA3BLQ

> I think it depends on when you got the shield upgrade kit for the KPA100.
Mine
> had no speaker shield.  However, later versions of the kit had the shield
that
> fits over the KPA100 speaker.  I never saw much discussion here on the
speaker
> shield being added to the kit and haven't noticed any side effects of not
having
> the shield.
>
> Been thinking the next time I get something form Elecraft, I'll ask them
to add
> the speaker shield to the order.
>
> 73 de NA8M
> John
>
> > You can switch off the alarm bells!  The shield I am referring to is on
> > the speaker for the integrated K2-100, but probably not a base K2.  I'm
> > assuming that the speaker shield is only included on the amp

Re: W3FPR's Fixed AF Output Kit Mounting

Folks,

Mike has spotted a mounting problem with my Fixed Audio Output board in the
K2/100 with the new speaker shield.  I am sorry I didn't realize the
problem - I tried it with my KPA100 without the speaker shield and it did
fit.

Mike has found a realistic mounting location, although it may not qualify as
'Elecraft quality', it does the job (but come to think of it - any wires at
all are not reflective of Elecraft quality).

Actually if one layer of the foam tape that I provide with the kit placed on
the botom of the board it COULD float around anywhere inside the K2 and do
no harm, but Mike has provided a very workable mounting location.

Before you cut the wires to the length I specified, check your mounting
location and be certain the wires will reach.  I believe I have provided
enough wire length to cover most any practical mounting locations.