Wall warts, et heat

Gil WA5YKK
  I find it both fascinating and nearly elementary when I read about
problems and questions about wall warts. The little packages were a
surprise to me when they first appeared, and I had to buy some extra
"extension outlets" to plug them into, making sure that the darn
extensions had a switch on them. It didn't take long before I lost track
of what was plugged into what, then I noted that too many of them
generated a bit too much heat while being "on" all day. This started
concerning me when I noticed some hash in a receiver that was all but
inline with a computer accessory wall wart, and led to a rethink of how
to address the situation better.
   The whole idea really made for a big warning, when the Commodore
outfit introduced their "cheap little computers", and unless you
unplugged their version of a wall wart, it really heated up big time! My
thought was "Why set up an outside power supply to just save space, and
have a half baked, undervalued little heater to do the job?". The whole
mess came to a head one day in a big nearby city, when a guy "rewarded
his family with a computer", plugged it in with good faith, went out to
eat dinner, and came home to a burned-out apartment complex! The Fire
Marshall traced the source to that wall wart, and he got sued by his
neighbors for the value of their lost items, then by the apartment
management.
   He, in turn, sued the computer company, so everyone wound up in
litigation for years, all due to a dangerous design for a power supply.
When I had mine "sputter" on me one day, I took time to look up and
order an aftermarket replacement, and dug into the factory version. It
was a solid block of epoxy fill in an otherwise fair design, but due to
the lack of cooling, it had no place to put the heat from pure aluminum
heat sinks, and the regulators would burn out!
   My solution for all of them was to make up, if not buy, a short
extension cord to plug into the socket strip, and have an inline switch
to turn each one off with. I've had variations on that for a long time
now, and one other idea worked fairly well, too, to just wait for "after
warranty", then open the little case, note where air holes needed to be
drilled, then ventilate them as best I could. Some didn't get ventilated
in time, and are "hanging on a sick list" until I can get time to figure
out a parts replacement.
   The one aspect of this whole mess is that a few of them have oddball
voltages coming out, to power an oddball addon for a computer or radio
accessory, so it's not a case of "simply setting up a 12 vdc strip for
everything and grab power from a very well made, highly regulated 12 vdc
power supply".
   I continue to clench my teeth when I see "a neat little package that
works fine, just plug the wall wart into the wall socket and enjoy the
toy". That's a cheap, and somewhat dangerous way to avoid adding a bit
of bulk, a far better power supply, a switch, and some ventilation to a
toy or rig that someone will use for who knows how long.
   The other irritant is the guy who, when he was asked "How would you
go green", said "If everyone would simply unplug these little things, we
could save x number of $$ in fuel for the power company". Essentially,
he's blaming the victim for the crime.
   Maybe its time for all of us to find a way around the nonsense, look
over our shacks, and think "safety" from the beginning. Perhaps this
would give everyone some practice in building better power supplies?

Good luck, 73's
Gil WA5YKK

Re: Wall warts, et heat

w8fn
I believe one powerful motivation for the outboard supply approach is
that it exempts the manufacturer from having to put the entire
assembly through the various safety and regulatory processes (UL,
CSA, CE, etc.). He can instead put the regulatory burden on the
subcontractor who furnishes the supply. This can save LOTS of money
when bringing a new electronic product to market.

73...
Randy, W8FN

>    I continue to clench my teeth when I see "a neat little package that
>works fine, just plug the wall wart into the wall socket and enjoy the
>toy". That's a cheap, and somewhat dangerous way to avoid adding a bit
>of bulk, a far better power supply, a switch, and some ventilation to a
>toy or rig that someone will use for who knows how long.

Re: Wall warts, et heat

Stewart Baker
Many of the ones we find in the UK emit copious amounts of RF
interference. Although they are CE marked, we suspect that this
only stands for - China Export.

73
Stewart G3RXQ

http://www.qsl.net/donate.html