Weird AGC Behavior

David Inger
Has anyone experienced anything like this?

 I am using a K3 (FW version 4.39; DSP version 2.73) with a KPA500 amp
connected to the K3 with the Elecraft AUX cable.

I normally have the AGC set for AGC-S when operating SSB or digital modes.
If the K3 is in receive mode for several minutes,  the AGC turns itself off
without warning (accompanied by a hugh volume increase from the speaker).
While this doesn't happen every time, it has happened several times.  It
seems to be most likely to happen if the Noise Blanker is turned on and the
KPA500 amp is on and ready for operation (as opposed to being in standby
mode).

When I installed my KPA500, I upgraded the K3's firmware to the above
versions.  I have no idea what is causing the AGC to turn itself off, or if
it has anything to do with the firmware upgrade, the amp, or both, or
neither.

I would appreciate any help that exorcises this demon.

73 de K6SBA
David in Santa Barbara CA

Re: Weird AGC Behavior

Don Wilhelm-4
David,

Are you running Ham Radio Deluxe?  If so, that is what is turning the
AGC off.
My understanding is that this is a problem with the fast polling rate
used by HRD.  Last I heard (more than a month ago), Simon was looking at
some sort of fix, but I have heard no further information.

On 9/19/2011 12:22 PM, David Inger wrote:

> Has anyone experienced anything like this?
>
>   I am using a K3 (FW version 4.39; DSP version 2.73) with a KPA500 amp
> connected to the K3 with the Elecraft AUX cable.
>
> I normally have the AGC set for AGC-S when operating SSB or digital modes.
> If the K3 is in receive mode for several minutes,  the AGC turns itself off
> without warning (accompanied by a hugh volume increase from the speaker).
> While this doesn't happen every time, it has happened several times.  It
> seems to be most likely to happen if the Noise Blanker is turned on and the
> KPA500 amp is on and ready for operation (as opposed to being in standby
> mode).
>
> When I installed my KPA500, I upgraded the K3's firmware to the above
> versions.  I have no idea what is causing the AGC to turn itself off, or if
> it has anything to do with the firmware upgrade, the amp, or both, or
> neither.
>
> I would appreciate any help that exorcises this demon.

Re: Weird AGC Behavior

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

Are you using Ham Radio Deluxe?   That's a known bug of HRD.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 9/19/2011 12:22 PM, David Inger wrote:

> Has anyone experienced anything like this?
>
>   I am using a K3 (FW version 4.39; DSP version 2.73) with a KPA500 amp
> connected to the K3 with the Elecraft AUX cable.
>
> I normally have the AGC set for AGC-S when operating SSB or digital modes.
> If the K3 is in receive mode for several minutes,  the AGC turns itself off
> without warning (accompanied by a hugh volume increase from the speaker).
> While this doesn't happen every time, it has happened several times.  It
> seems to be most likely to happen if the Noise Blanker is turned on and the
> KPA500 amp is on and ready for operation (as opposed to being in standby
> mode).
>
> When I installed my KPA500, I upgraded the K3's firmware to the above
> versions.  I have no idea what is causing the AGC to turn itself off, or if
> it has anything to do with the firmware upgrade, the amp, or both, or
> neither.
>
> I would appreciate any help that exorcises this demon.
>
> 73 de K6SBA
> David in Santa Barbara CA

Re: Weird AGC Behavior

KD8NNU
Simon has sold HRD so I would not hold your breath for a fix.

~73
Don
KD8NNU

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> David,
>
> Are you running Ham Radio Deluxe?  If so, that is what is turning the
> AGC off.
> My understanding is that this is a problem with the fast polling rate
> used by HRD.  Last I heard (more than a month ago), Simon was looking
> at some sort of fix, but I have heard no further information.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 9/19/2011 12:22 PM, David Inger wrote:
>> Has anyone experienced anything like this?
>>
>>   I am using a K3 (FW version 4.39; DSP version 2.73) with a KPA500
>> amp
>> connected to the K3 with the Elecraft AUX cable.
>>
>> I normally have the AGC set for AGC-S when operating SSB or digital
>> modes.
>> If the K3 is in receive mode for several minutes,  the AGC turns
>> itself off
>> without warning (accompanied by a hugh volume increase from the
>> speaker).
>> While this doesn't happen every time, it has happened several times.
>> It
>> seems to be most likely to happen if the Noise Blanker is turned on
>> and the
>> KPA500 amp is on and ready for operation (as opposed to being in
>> standby
>> mode).
>>
>> When I installed my KPA500, I upgraded the K3's firmware to the above
>> versions.  I have no idea what is causing the AGC to turn itself off,
>> or if
>> it has anything to do with the firmware upgrade, the amp, or both, or
>> neither.
>>
>> I would appreciate any help that exorcises this demon.

Re: Weird AGC Behavior

Guy, K2AV
To Whom?    73, Guy

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 7:00 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Simon has sold HRD so I would not hold your breath for a fix.
>
> ~73
> Don
> KD8NNU
>

> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>
> > David,
> >
> > Are you running Ham Radio Deluxe?  If so, that is what is turning the
> > AGC off.
> > My understanding is that this is a problem with the fast polling rate
> > used by HRD.  Last I heard (more than a month ago), Simon was looking
> > at some sort of fix, but I have heard no further information.
> >
> > 73,
> > Don W3FPR
> >
> > On 9/19/2011 12:22 PM, David Inger wrote:
> >> Has anyone experienced anything like this?
> >>
> >>   I am using a K3 (FW version 4.39; DSP version 2.73) with a KPA500
> >> amp
> >> connected to the K3 with the Elecraft AUX cable.
> >>
> >> I normally have the AGC set for AGC-S when operating SSB or digital
> >> modes.
> >> If the K3 is in receive mode for several minutes,  the AGC turns
> >> itself off
> >> without warning (accompanied by a hugh volume increase from the
> >> speaker).
> >> While this doesn't happen every time, it has happened several times.
> >> It
> >> seems to be most likely to happen if the Noise Blanker is turned on
> >> and the
> >> KPA500 amp is on and ready for operation (as opposed to being in
> >> standby
> >> mode).
> >>
> >> When I installed my KPA500, I upgraded the K3's firmware to the above
> >> versions.  I have no idea what is causing the AGC to turn itself off,
> >> or if
> >> it has anything to do with the firmware upgrade, the amp, or both, or
> >> neither.
> >>
> >> I would appreciate any help that exorcises this demon.

> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Weird AGC Behavior

KD8NNU

Just found this additional information from hrd site from Simon.

http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/News/HRDSold.aspx

~73
Don
KD8NNU

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 7:04 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:

  To Whom?    73, Guy

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 7:00 PM, < [hidden email]
<javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('[hidden email]')> >
wrote:
Simon has sold HRD so I would not hold your breath for a fix.

~73
Don
KD8NNU

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> David,
> Are you running Ham Radio Deluxe?  If so, that is what is turning the
> AGC off. My understanding is that this is a problem with the fast
> polling rate used by HRD.  Last I heard (more than a month ago), Simon
> was looking at some sort of fix, but I have heard no further
> information.
> 73, Don W3FPR
> On 9/19/2011 12:22 PM, David Inger wrote:
>> Has anyone experienced anything like this?
>>   I am using a K3 (FW version 4.39; DSP version 2.73) with a KPA500
>> amp connected to the K3 with the Elecraft AUX cable.
>> I normally have the AGC set for AGC-S when operating SSB or digital
>> modes. If the K3 is in receive mode for several minutes,  the AGC
>> turns itself off without warning (accompanied by a hugh volume
>> increase from the speaker). While this doesn't happen every time, it
>> has happened several times. It seems to be most likely to happen if
>> the Noise Blanker is turned on and the KPA500 amp is on and ready for
>> operation (as opposed to being in standby mode).
>> When I installed my KPA500, I upgraded the K3's firmware to the above
>> versions.  I have no idea what is causing the AGC to turn itself off,
>> or if it has anything to do with the firmware upgrade, the amp, or
>> both, or neither.
>> I would appreciate any help that exorcises this demon.

  <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('[hidden email]')>
  <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('[hidden email]')>

> Post: mailto: [hidden email]
> <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('[hidden email]')>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net <http://www.qsl.net> Please
> help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> <http://www.qsl.net/donate.html>
Post: mailto: [hidden email]