What hardware mods would be best?

PD2R
Hi everybody,

It has been a long time (2 or 3 years) since I have posted or looked at this mailing list since I haven't been very busy with the hobby due to various reasons such a work and family.
After not being used for almost a year, I finally got to use my K3 again this holiday in Denmark (call OV2T).

Recently I have heard from a friend, who also has a K3, that there have been a couple of hardware modification for the K3. My K3 (serial number 1849) hasn't had any hardware updates at all and I was wondering which, if any, would be useful for me.
- K3/100
- KDVR3
- KFL3A 400 Hz, 1.8 KHz, 2.1 KHz, 2.7KHz filters
- KAT3

My K3 is mainly used in for Phone, occasionally for digital modes and CW. I like contesting and doing Field day events, hence my choice for the K3.
I mostly use it with my headset (Heil Pro Set Plus) but I plan on using it with a desk microphone and a pair of speakers in my new shack. The reason for that is that with my headset on I won't be able to hear my wife. Now, that's not necessarily a bad thing but I don't want her to get mad at me for not listening at all.

Any comments on what hardware modification could be useful for me would be greatly appreciated.

Best 73,

Maarten PD2T/OV2T

Maarten, PD2R
Member of the PI4DX contest group
www.pi4dx.com

Elecraft K3 nr:1849

Re: What hardware mods would be best?

Guy Olinger K2AV
Considering that a particular K3 might be sold and resold, the kindest
thing is to do all the mods. The next owner might not have your particular
collection of interest and usage.

73, Guy.

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 7:21 PM, PD2R <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> It has been a long time (2 or 3 years) since I have posted or looked at
> this
> mailing list since I haven't been very busy with the hobby due to various
> reasons such a work and family.
> After not being used for almost a year, I finally got to use my K3 again
> this holiday in Denmark (call OV2T).
>
> Recently I have heard from a friend, who also has a K3, that there have
> been
> a couple of hardware modification for the K3. My K3 (serial number 1849)
> hasn't had any hardware updates at all and I was wondering which, if any,
> would be useful for me.
> - K3/100
> - KDVR3
> - KFL3A 400 Hz, 1.8 KHz, 2.1 KHz, 2.7KHz filters
> - KAT3
>
> My K3 is mainly used in for Phone, occasionally for digital modes and CW. I
> like contesting and doing Field day events, hence my choice for the K3.
> I mostly use it with my headset (Heil Pro Set Plus) but I plan on using it
> with a desk microphone and a pair of speakers in my new shack. The reason
> for that is that with my headset on I won't be able to hear my wife. Now,
> that's not necessarily a bad thing but I don't want her to get mad at me
> for
> not listening at all.
>
> Any comments on what hardware modification could be useful for me would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Best 73,
>
> Maarten PD2T/OV2T
>

> -----
>

> Maarten, PD2R
> Member of the PI4DX contest group
> www.pi4dx.com
>
> Elecraft K3 nr:1849

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: What hardware mods would be best?

PD2R
Hi Guy,

Thank you for your reply. I understand what you are saying. The thought of selling the K3 has crossed my mind several times. However, having played with almost all the rigs of the competitors (TS 990, FTdx 9000, FTdx 5000, IC 7700/7800), I'm always glad to return to my K3. I certainly have no intention to sell my K3 nor can I afford to replace my K3 with a comparable transceiver (assuming there is a TRX that comes close to the K3).
Furthermore, doing all the mods for the K3 will cost me over $200,- + shipping + tax. And then they need to be installed as well which unfortunately I myself am not comfortable doing.

So it may be the kindest thing to do, it's not the economical thing to do. With no intention of selling my K3 I would rather be kind to my bank account