What's best Soundcard Interface for KX3

Re: What's best Soundcard Interface for KX3

Rick WA6NHC-2
Bob,

While your decode level is admirable, using the SLUSB VOX to trigger the
PTT is less than reliable.  You will be FAR better off using a CAT
command (or RTS/DTS) for PTT.

However on my K3, I do set the tx volume to max on the sound card
driver, the TX knob to noon, THEN adjust the ALC to 4 bars lit and the
5th flickering.

Please note that if you change the pitch of the audio tone, you'll want
to reset the ALC as there is a vast difference from 600 Hz output to
2KHz output.

You can also use the DATA A mode for decoding, simplifying your setup
(all data modes in one group).

One experiment I'm planning is using a second audio card in the desktop,
to see if that improves low level decoding.

73,
Rick nhc

On 4/10/2016 5:17 PM, Robert Nobis wrote:

> George,
>
> Not sure how to set up VOX using an internal sound card.  For use with my SignaLink USB, I simply adjusted the output level of the sound card until it properly keyed the transmitter.
>
> Also Chapter 6 in the Elect KX-3 manual covers VOX setup. See page 66.
>
> I am also using USB rather than Data mode for decode with WSJT-X v1.7.0 dev.  I have been able to consistently get decodes down as low as  -26 to -27dB.
>
> 73,
>

> Bob Nobis - N7RJN
> [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: What's best Soundcard Interface for KX3

Jim Brown-10
On Sun,4/10/2016 10:28 PM, Rick WA6NHC wrote:
> While your decode level is admirable, using the SLUSB VOX to trigger
> the PTT is less than reliable.

I have no experience with the Signal Link unit, but I use AFSK RTTY,
JT65, JT9, ISCAT, and FSK441, making thousands of QSOs in a weekend
contest. I've never used anything but VOX for any voice or digital mode,
whether I was using the sound card built into my laptop or a nice USB
sound card. It makes life MUCH simpler, and it works quite reliably if
you set it up well.

Like with any VOX setup, you start with high VOX sensitivity while
you're getting modulation levels right, then set the VOX for reliable
operation. There are detailed setup instructions for audio levels (but
not for setting VOX) in my review of USB sound cards at
k9yc.com/publish.htm

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: What's best Soundcard Interface for KX3

Rick WA6NHC-2
To be clear, the SLUSB VOX is the weak point if it is used for PTT. It
is not reliable... this has little to do with the radio of any brand.

Rick

PS Congrats on the 160M VK0EK QSO, I know what an effort that was, I saw
your call on DXA3 just after.

On Sun,4/10/2016 11:51 PM, Rick WA6NHC wrote:
> To be clear, the SLUSB VOX is the weak point if it is used for PTT. It
> is not reliable... this has little to do with the radio of any brand.

Thanks for the clarification, Rick.  There are many weak things about
the SignalLink USB -- that's only one of them. I don't recommend it.

Yes, that 160M Q to VK0EK was a thrill, as was the one to the team at
Amsterdam Island last year that many of us around the world achieved
thanks to the great work by both of these teams.

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: What's best Soundcard Interface for KX3

Edward R Cole
I assume you are talking about JT-65HF on HF bands.

I decode JT-65 signals down to -28.  -26 is 100% copy level and get
more marginal at weaker signals.  I have decoded as low as -31 but
that is rare.  Of course I am talking about JT-65b on 2m-eme where
sky noise is much lower.

For WSJT10 (which is a suite of sw that includes JT-65) I run
monaural audio from line-out from my K3.  I run JT65c on 1296 with
this sw which only requires simple audio input thru a
soundcard.  Bandwidth on the sw is limited to 2.5 KHz display.

I run MAP-65 on 2m-eme which requires IQ input which comes from a
LP-Pan connected to the K3 1st IF.  I get up to 90-KHz panadaptor
display.  The LP-Pan provides IQ into a M-Audio Delta44 soundcard
which can provide 90-KHz bandwidth.

SDR sw require stereo soundcards with IQ baseband input.

73, Ed - KL7UW

Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 16:51:39 -0700
From: Robert Nobis <[hidden email]>
To: George_yv5wz <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] What's best Soundcard Interface for KX3

George,

That is great. -24 dB is good for a built in sound card. By the way
what version of JT65 are you using?

Note that your transmit signal level is usually critical for JT65 and
JT9. Also, I always use VOX to key the transmitter.

73,

Bob Nobis - N7RJN
[hidden email]

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business:
     [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: What's best Soundcard Interface for KX3

George, check that Data is set to DATA A. (Change it using the VFO B knob). Also widen the filter passband when in DATA mode and it should work. Also make sure that you have DATA A set to USB and not LSB ( Hold ALT to change it from one to the other). There are advantages in DATA rather than USB for digital modes, especially on transmit as mic TX equalisation and compression are automatically disabled on DATA.

73 from David GM4JJJ

> On 11 Apr 2016, at 00:58, George_yv5wz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey Robert
>

> Yes I think I'm ok with my Sony VPCW12AX.....probably is cause better sound
> device than laptop  hahahaha......
>
> I have WSJT-X  v1.6.0 r6263
>
> What are the settings for VOX?
>
> By the way my software decode with KX3 set at USB.... I couldn't get any
> decode set at DATA
>

> 73's

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]