Which mic

Michael Bower N4NMR
I'm thinking about asking for a new mic for Christmas.  Is there a nice (but
not big $$$) mic that will work on the K2, the 703 and the 817?  I'm
assuming that I would need several adapters but that is ok.

I'm leaning towards a Heil type mic.  Probably a hand-held or headset.  (But
the Heil desk mic deal on Elecraft page is tempting if it will work on all
three rigs.)

XYL says Christmas list is due this weekend or nor presents for me so quick
response is appreciated.

Michael N4NMR

Re: Which mic

Brian Mury-3
On Sat, 2004-27-11 at 05:24 -0500, Michael Bower N4NMR wrote:
> Is there a nice (but not big $$$) mic that will work on the K2, the 703
> and the 817?

> I'm leaning towards a Heil type mic.

Icom radios (with the exception of the new PRO radios) usually have
fairly low mic gain. The use of non-Icom mics often causes problems
similar to what is often experienced with the K2 when using mics like
the Heil HC-5, and Heil has responded by developing a mic element
specifically for Icom radios.

Since both radios have low mic gain, I suspect either the Heil Icom
element or the Heil K2 element would work well with both the 703 and the
K2, though that is just a guess. I don't know about the 817.

--
73, Brian
VE7NGR