Which way to steer a new ham K2-KX3

KC6CNN
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Which way to steer a new ham K2-KX3

Rick M0LEP
On Mon 16 Jun KC6CNN wrote:
> What would you guys suggest?

I know at least one person who's got a K2 kit still in its box even
though he bought it years ago. I'd guess you don't want that happening.

How about getting them hooked on (or at least figuring out whether they
get anything from) building their own rigs by having them to build
something that's almost disposable (say a RockMite or something equally
small and inexpensive) first? When that works you can raise the bar a
bit...

--
... 73, Rick, M0LEP   (KX3 #3281)

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Which way to steer a new ham K2-KX3

Gerald,

I believe the KX3 is the better general choice for new hams.  They can
get it in kit form so they can have the pride of making it themselves,
even though there is no soldering.

For those who are experienced with soldering as well as properly
following written instructions, and really want to solder their kit
together from thru-hole components, the K2 is an excellent choice.

Yes, the price difference is minimal and the extra features offered by
the KX3 (data modes, FM, AM, dual receive, etc.) make it more flexible
than the K2.

If the new ham wants only a basic CW QRP transceiver, then the K2 price
is much lower.

The other point to be made is that the cost of expanding the K2 to a 100
watt transceiver is less than a KX3 with the KXPA3 and KXAT3.
For a 100 watt transceiver, the basic K3/100 and KX3 with KXPA100 are
priced within the same ballpark, so you may want to add the K3 to your
list of suggestions.

New hams may not have resonant antennas, so an antenna tuner may be an
asset.

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Which way to steer a new ham K2-KX3

JHRichards
Excellent and well phrased question.
It succinctly expresses my own observations.

----------------- K8JHR --------------------

On 6/16/2014 5:53 PM, KC6CNN wrote:

> I have been training new hams to pass their test and get licensed.
> During one of the classes we looked at my rigs K3, KX3, K2, Drake TR-4.
> I was telling them how proud they would feel having built their own rigs and
> that the K2 was a good radio. It is hard to push the K2 to them when the
> price difference is so minimal between the K2 and the KX3. The KX3 also has
> so many more features that it is hard to get them to put that a side for the
> pride in making it themselves.
> What would you guys suggest?
> Features verses the pride in making it yourself. Price difference is
> minimal.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Which way to steer a new ham K2-KX3

Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT
Don't get me wrong, I love my KX3 for the portability.  That's why I
chose it over the K3.

It sounds like they have the budget for a full K-line -- that will get
them on the air.

Get them excited about building antennas.

.... or show them the cool kit options.  Simple stuff to start, maybe
station accessories to whet their appetites.

Talk about some of the really cool tiny stuff that can talk half-way
around the world.

Find out where their skills lie, and talk about homebrewing that way.  I
don't do much with hardware, but I've done more than my share of
homebrewing in software.

73 -- Lynn

On 6/16/2014 3:44 PM, Gerald Manthey wrote:
> Then we all walked out to the parking lot and my Toyota truck was
> surrounded by $50,000 trucks.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Which way to steer a new ham K2-KX3

Phil Wheeler-2
KX3.  Building a K2 is not for everyone.

If they have built kits before, or have interest,
then maybe the K2.  But the K1 might be a good
starter. NOT the KX1 as a starter, though: It's
very dense.

73, Phil W7OX

On 6/16/14, 2:53 PM, KC6CNN wrote:

> I have been training new hams to pass their test and get licensed.
> During one of the classes we looked at my rigs K3, KX3, K2, Drake TR-4.
> I was telling them how proud they would feel having built their own rigs and
> that the K2 was a good radio. It is hard to push the K2 to them when the
> price difference is so minimal between the K2 and the KX3. The KX3 also has
> so many more features that it is hard to get them to put that a side for the
> pride in making it themselves.
> What would you guys suggest?
> Features verses the pride in making it yourself. Price difference is
> minimal.
> Thanks
> Gerald - KC6CNN
>

> -----
> KC6CNN - Gerald
> K2 # 5486
> K3 # 6254
> KX3 # 757

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Which way to steer a new ham K2-KX3

I started with (and still am using) a K3/10 (gets to 12 watts out) and have found it a lot of fun doing DX.  Once I get to my new QTH in a condo in Chicago and figure out what I can do as far as an antenna, I will put my K3/10 back on the air.  So that is a possible rig for a new ham.

73 de Dave KJ6CBS

On Monday, June 16, 2014 3:57 PM, K8JHR <[hidden email]> wrote:

Excellent and well phrased question.
It succinctly expresses my own observations.

----------------- K8JHR --------------------

On 6/16/2014 5:53 PM, KC6CNN wrote:

> I have been training new hams to pass their test and get licensed.
> During one of the classes we looked at my rigs K3, KX3, K2, Drake TR-4.
> I was telling them how proud they would feel having built their own rigs and
> that the K2 was a good radio. It is hard to push the K2 to them when the
> price difference is so minimal between the K2 and the KX3. The KX3 also has
> so many more features that it is hard to get them to put that a side for the
> pride in making it themselves.
> What would you guys suggest?
> Features verses the pride in making it yourself. Price difference is
> minimal.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Which way to steer a new ham K2-KX3

Gary W. Hvizdak
Monday June 16 @ 17:53:27 EDT Gerald (KC6CNN) wrote ...

"It is hard to push the K2 ... when the price difference is so minimal ...
What would you guys suggest?"

--- - - - ---

    IMHO the only thing that matters is what the buyer wants.  If building
appeals to them more than operating, then they'll be drawn to the K2 without
your prodding.  If they do choose the K2, please be sure to invite them to
visit http://www.unpcbs.com/ to learn about Rework Eliminator(TM)
aftermarket K2 accessories, and the Option-Ready alternate K2 assembly
method they make possible.

--- - - - ---

    While I'm writing, (and kind of on the subject of the KX3) I'd like to
invite everyone to check out a website I've been creating for Fred Meier,
VE7FMN.  It describes his Cooler KX(TM) line of "painstakingly designed and
meticulously crafted" aftermarket KX3 heatsinks.

    I've only been working on the site for a little more than a week, so it
is still very much a work in progress.  In particular, I expect to have a
new ordering webpage up within about 36 hours.  If you want to order one of
Fred's heatsinks, you might wish to wait until the new ordering webpage goes
live, as it will dramatically simplify the ordering process and offer
several new optional accessories.  Best of all the short wait for the new
page won't delay delivery of your heatsink, since the next batch just "went
to paint" today (a two week process), and won't ship until early July.

    If you email me off Reflector, I will let you know the moment the new
ordering page goes live.

73,
Gary  KI4GGX
webmaster http://www.unpcbs.com/
webmaster http://www.ve7fmn.ca/

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Which way to steer a new ham K2-KX3

JHRichards
Big money business types usually like to be told what to buy, and will
spend a lot on a single recommendation (as they often do in business)
and totally miss the fun learning about radios, antennas, towers, and
accessory OPTIONS and CHOICES.  Some guys rush through the process of
building a station, which I feel is a big part of the hobby.  Some guys
figure they are better hams because they wrote a big check.

My personal ham hero is the regular guy working man with 300 confirmed
entities, running barefoot with a $1000 radio, and a couple of well made
and thoughtfully designed home made antennas.  He has researched and
agonized over every aspect of his station, and never makes an
unjustified purchase.,  He develops good operating skills, and can whip
the pants off a lot of other guys running big power into big beams on
tall towers.

Having an expensive station does not, itself, make a good operator, any
more than owning a super sports car makes one a good driver.  I wonder
how many of these big dollar suits will be on the air a year from now...

Just MY take.
-------------------------- JHR -------------------

On 6/16/2014 6:44 PM, Gerald Manthey wrote:

> [...]
>> asset.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>
>> On 6/16/2014 5:53 PM, KC6CNN wrote:
>>
>>> I have been training new hams to pass their test and get licensed.
>>> During one of the classes we looked at my rigs K3, KX3, K2, Drake TR-4.
>>> I was telling them how proud they would feel having built their own rigs
>>> and
>>> that the K2 was a good radio. It is hard to push the K2 to them when the
>>> price difference is so minimal between the K2 and the KX3. The KX3 also
>>> has
>>> so many more features that it is hard to get them to put that a side for
>>> the
>>> pride in making it themselves.
>>> What would you guys suggest?
>>> Features verses the pride in making it yourself. Price difference is

If you steer them to a kit that they won't build, or won't successfully
build, then none of them will be on the air a year from now....

On 6/16/2014 5:36 PM, K8JHR wrote:
> Having an expensive station does not, itself, make a good operator,
> any more than owning a super sports car makes one a good driver.  I
> wonder how many of these big dollar suits will be on the air a year
> from now...

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Which way to steer a new ham K2-KX3

wayne burdick
Gerald Manthey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ....middle aged business owners fed with a silver spoon....$50,000 trucks....50 foot tower....

I'm thinking KX3 :)

<Possibly biased alert!>

Seriously, if they really want to build, and that's the most important thing, then K2-them. But the KX3 has a number of bands and operating modes the K3 doesn't, and that breadth may be important to someone who wants to dabble in both the legacy and newer aspects of the hobby.

If they're really anxious to make a big splash, go for the gold ring, and {insert your metaphor here}, you might tell them about the K3 as well. They can start with a K3/10 without frills, and add widgets to match their evolving interests. The K-Line is unmatched as a contesting and DX station, should that be where their fancy trucks take them.

<end bias possiblity>

Wayne
N6KR

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Which way to steer a new ham K2-KX3 [TYPO]

wayne burdick
Administrator
>> But the KX3 has a number of bands and operating modes the K3 doesn't…

Sorry, that's "K2".

Wayne
N6KR

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Which way to steer a new ham K2-KX3

Jim Brown-10
On 6/16/2014 3:44 PM, Gerald Manthey wrote:
> This group is a bunch of middle aged business owners who were feed with a
> silver spoon. I brought up used equipment and was told they buy only the
> best.
> Then we all walked out to the parking lot and my Toyota truck was
> surrounded by $50,000 trucks. Hihi.
> Okay they got the money but was wanting to teach a more hands on ham.

I would recommend the K-line to this group. If they want some of the
building experience, they will enjoy building them as kits.

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]