Why buy a 10w radio?

Jim Low man
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, especially when it comes to
perceived value vs. cost. However I, for one, appreciate Elecraft's
philosophy of allowing one to start with a base model and add options as
desired or needed. This has been true since the K2 and carries forward
to the K1, K3 and now the KX3. In my case, I enjoy QRP operation and
already have an Ten-Tec Eagle, Pegasus, FT-847 and Drake T-4XC that will
put out 100+ watts if needed. This way I'm not paying a premium for
unneeded power. Also, at the time that I bought the basic K2,I didn't
think that there was enough QRP SSB action to warrant adding the SSB
option. Recent activities have changed my mind on that issue. Now I have
a fairly fully-loaded K2, with features added as needed or wanted. The
only disadvantage has been that over a 10-year period, adding
capabilities has necessitated upgrading the firmware, which is
hardware-based. I expect this not to be a problem with the KX3, since
Wayne mentioned that the design is SDR. In short, saving money on
unneeded features is my rationale for liking the way that Elecraft
designs their products. 72/73 de Jim - AD6CW On 20 May 2011, at 17:03,
Merv Schweigert wrote:

> >  Not enough power and way too many bucks.
> >
> >  On another subject,  why do you guys all buy QRP, limited
> >  function radios and then wish to add a 100 watt amp?

Re: Why buy a 10w radio?

Cookie
I tried to figure out how to mount my K3 in my F-150 but could not figure out a
good way to mount it.  It is just a little bit larger than a Kenwood TS-440, so
I tried to use a TS-440 mount, but it was just a bit small.  So, I mounted the
TS-440 in the mobile and it worked fair, but it did not have the optional tuner
and the dial was almost impossible to see in the sunlight.  It was really too
big to mount on the front of the console and made me look down when driving.  I
needed something else.

I looked at the Elecraft offerings and did not see a fit for me.  So, I bought a
TS-480SAT which seemed to be the best fit for what I wanted.  I liked the split
architecture for mobile use.  Now, just as I got the 480 installed the KX3
appears.  I like the idea of a battery powered QRP rig with a separate amplifier
which can be under the seat.  I have not seen the actual dimensions yet, but the
main KX3 seems to be about the same size as the TS-480 control unit and in fact
looks a lot like the TS-480.   I like the idea of an operator being able to
drive to the camping area in his 100 watt mobile, removing the main KX3, putting
it is his pack and hiking up the mountain for some QRP action, then bragging
about it while driving home in the 100 watt mobile.

I trust that the Elecraft gang will be able to equal and probably noticeably
exceed the performance of a TS-480.  I am confident that the mounting hardware
will be developed and offered.  The price in in the same range as the TS-480 if
the prices that I have heard are close.  It seems like a product with the
potential to make a lot of operators happy and fill a big need.
 Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart

Re: Why buy a 10w radio?

Doug Person-3
The KX-3 is smaller and lighter than the TS-480 head.  I do have a great
deal of respect for the TS-480 - its a great rig and excellent as a
mobile.  I don't know how the receivers will compare once the KX3 is
actually released.  Personally, I expect the KX3 to be in the
performance class of the FLEX-1500 - which is pretty good.  I agree with
your point that the KX3 configuration makes it a true multi-purpose
rig.  I can't think of anything else that I could pull out of my truck
and go into the field with as a real Trail-Friendly-Radio.  Pretty
remarkable concept when you think about it.  Now just give me a way to
operate 2 meter FM with it as well so I could leave my hand-held home.
The closest is my FT-817 with the 100 watt PA mounted under the seat.
It works, but the receiver is not too great.  I think you painted a good
picture of how the KX3 will probably be a winner for some people.

Doug -- K0DXV

On 5/25/2011 7:26 PM, WILLIS COOKE wrote:

> I tried to figure out how to mount my K3 in my F-150 but could not figure out a
> good way to mount it.  It is just a little bit larger than a Kenwood TS-440, so
> I tried to use a TS-440 mount, but it was just a bit small.  So, I mounted the
> TS-440 in the mobile and it worked fair, but it did not have the optional tuner
> and the dial was almost impossible to see in the sunlight.  It was really too
> big to mount on the front of the console and made me look down when driving.  I
> needed something else.
>
> I looked at the Elecraft offerings and did not see a fit for me.  So, I bought a
> TS-480SAT which seemed to be the best fit for what I wanted.  I liked the split
> architecture for mobile use.  Now, just as I got the 480 installed the KX3
> appears.  I like the idea of a battery powered QRP rig with a separate amplifier
> which can be under the seat.  I have not seen the actual dimensions yet, but the
> main KX3 seems to be about the same size as the TS-480 control unit and in fact
> looks a lot like the TS-480.   I like the idea of an operator being able to
> drive to the camping area in his 100 watt mobile, removing the main KX3, putting
> it is his pack and hiking up the mountain for some QRP action, then bragging
> about it while driving home in the 100 watt mobile.
>

> I trust that the Elecraft gang will be able to equal and probably noticeably
> exceed the performance of a TS-480.  I am confident that the mounting hardware
> will be developed and offered.  The price in in the same range as the TS-480 if
> the prices that I have heard are close.  It seems like a product with the
> potential to make a lot of operators happy and fill a big need.
>   Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
> K5EWJ&  Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart

KX3 100 Watt Amp?

doberman
Where can I get the details on the 100 watt amp for the KX3 - specs -
price - etc.? How does it compare size wise - price wise to the JUMA
100??

Thanks

Dan - KI4YZE

Re: KX3 100 Watt Amp?

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator
We will post more data as we proceed. There is no additional info at
this time.

The best place to watch, besides here, is:
http://www.elecraft.com/KX3/kx3.htm

73, Eric  WA6HHQ
www.elecraft.com

On 5/27/2011 9:14 AM, Dan Boardman wrote:
> Where can I get the details on the 100 watt amp for the KX3 - specs -
> price - etc.? How does it compare size wise - price wise to the JUMA
> 100??
>
> Thanks
> Dan - KI4YZE

Re: KX3 100 Watt Amp?

KD8NNU
It sure would be nice if elecraft could find the resources to give us a
500w mobile amp.    For 100w max I have no good reason to change from my
IC 7000 in my mobile operation.  However, I already know the answer is
that for now they have to finish what they already have on the design
and testing schedule

For external if SGC were making the power cube this would not be a
question from me.  However, there are just no good mobile options. IMHO

Don
KD8NNU