Wireless Mouse Wish List

Paul T. Rubin
Hello fellow Elecrafters:

Here’s an idea that I've been thinking about for a while, but don't have the technical expertise to implement.

I would like to build a wireless paddle. I've noticed that Microsoft and Compaq have both recently come out with small wireless mice for laptops. They cost $25. The receivers plug into the laptops via a USB port.

Does anyone have any idea how one could build a circuit with cannibalized parts from one of these assemblies to use the left and right mouse buttons for the paddle, and interface the USB receiver for keying?

I opened up a Logitech desktop wireless mouse, but the parts were all over the place, and it was pretty large. Of course, the smaller the better for both the transmitter and receiver. Sounds like a great SMD project. Any interest Tom?

Also, how about something like a Bluetooth connected headset? You can have two versions, earphones only for the K1, KX1, and microphone for the K2.

Just some ideas that I’m throwing out for minds greater than mine.

Thanks,
Paul Rubin N8NOV
Houston Texas
K1, K2, KX1, and anything else that Elecraft ever decides to make.

RE: Wireless Mouse Wish List

EricJ-2
Here's a commercial version of a wireless keyer.

http://mysite.verizon.net/k7mqvjim/

No idea how it works. In their photo gallery, they show it with a K2.

I like the idea, but I don't like being stuck with their idea of a
paddle/keyer. Maybe there is some IR TX/RX out there that could be used.

Eric
KE6US

Re: Wireless Mouse Wish List

wayne burdick
Administrator
I'm guessing
On Feb 19, 2005, at 6:44 PM, EricJ wrote:

> Here's a commercial version of a wireless keyer.
>
> http://mysite.verizon.net/k7mqvjim/
>
> No idea how it works. In their photo gallery, they show it with a K2.
>
> I like the idea, but I don't like being stuck with their idea of a
> paddle/keyer. Maybe there is some IR TX/RX out there that could be
> used.
>
> Eric
> KE6US

---

http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Wireless Mouse Wish List

wayne burdick
What's the maximum distance from paddle to receiver with this unit? I'd
want something that would work from across the room (my computers are
*not* right next to the ham gear) and with no limitation on the way the
paddle could be oriented. I might even want to use it while walking
from one place to another in the shack, with a wrist-mounted paddle.

A 900-MHz ASK (amplitude-shift-keyed) transceiver chip might be a
better way to do this, or of course blue-tooth. There are also very
inexpensive garage-door opener receiver/transmitter boards available.
Any such solution would require testing in an HF environment, although
QRP HF levels would probably not be an issue.

I don't quite see the need for a unit that simply replaces the
"cumbersome" wire from paddle to rig.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Feb 19, 2005, at 6:44 PM, EricJ wrote:

> Here's a commercial version of a wireless keyer.
>
> http://mysite.verizon.net/k7mqvjim/
>
> No idea how it works. In their photo gallery, they show it with a K2.
>
> I like the idea, but I don't like being stuck with their idea of a
> paddle/keyer. Maybe there is some IR TX/RX out there that could be
> used.
>
> Eric
> KE6US

---

http://www.elecraft.com

RE: Wireless Mouse Wish List

EricJ-2
No idea what the range is. It is IR so probably <100'.

I don't see a big need just to replace the cable either, but it could be
handy to be able to communicate with multiple rigs using the same paddle or
paddle/keyer. And the freedom from being tethered to a rig would be handy as
you said to walk around the shack. Lot's of times I am in the workshop
monitoring 20m and have to run down the hall to call. An rf TX/RX might let
me work that station from the workshop!

I would opt for keeping it simple, though. In fact, tonight I ordered a
cheap IR TX/RX combo to give it a try.

Eric
KE6US

What's the maximum distance from paddle to receiver with this unit? I'd want
something that would work from across the room (my computers are
*not* right next to the ham gear) and with no limitation on the way the
paddle could be oriented. I might even want to use it while walking from one
place to another in the shack, with a wrist-mounted paddle.

A 900-MHz ASK (amplitude-shift-keyed) transceiver chip might be a better way
to do this, or of course blue-tooth. There are also very inexpensive
garage-door opener receiver/transmitter boards available.
Any such solution would require testing in an HF environment, although QRP
HF levels would probably not be an issue.

I don't quite see the need for a unit that simply replaces the "cumbersome"
wire from paddle to rig.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Feb 19, 2005, at 6:44 PM, EricJ wrote:

> Here's a commercial version of a wireless keyer.
>
> http://mysite.verizon.net/k7mqvjim/
>
> No idea how it works. In their photo gallery, they show it with a K2.
>
> I like the idea, but I don't like being stuck with their idea of a
> paddle/keyer. Maybe there is some IR TX/RX out there that could be
> used.
>
> Eric
> KE6US

---

http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Re: Wireless Mouse Wish List

Jack Brindle
Guys;

Perhaps a look at the January 2004 issue of QST might prove
interesting. Specifically, the article starting on page 36 titled
"Remote Your Morse Key Using an RF Link."

On Feb 19, 2005, at 8:32 PM, wayne burdick wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2005, at 6:44 PM, EricJ wrote:
>
>> Here's a commercial version of a wireless keyer.
>>
>> http://mysite.verizon.net/k7mqvjim/
>>
>> No idea how it works. In their photo gallery, they show it with a K2.
>>
>> I like the idea, but I don't like being stuck with their idea of a
>> paddle/keyer. Maybe there is some IR TX/RX out there that could be
>> used.

- Jack Brindle, W6FB

Re: Re: Wireless Mouse Wish List

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
It might be a fun science project to build this into a KX1 case and
remote a few of the knobs and buttons to the K2 over a digital link
using the KIO2.   Microchip even makes a PIC with a transmitter in it
(the rfPIC).  Audio back channel could be through a cheap FM BCB Part 15
transmitter plugged into the K2 headphone jack, or just a loud speaker
in the shack.