Wounded Warrior - Ham Operator

KC6CNN
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Wounded Warrior - Ham Operator

Mike Reublin
And thanks to the warrior for his sacrifice!

73, Mike NF4L

On Aug 20, 2013, at 2:48 AM, KC6CNN <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wanted to take a minute to thank a few hams that help me assist a wounded
> warrior that just became a ham operator.

Re: Wounded Warrior - Ham Operator

Here is what I am willing to do to help further ---

If there is anyone who has a KPA100 that is not working and would like
to donate it for this cause, you can send it to me - I will get it
working and see that it is properly forwarded.
He may need a KAT100 too.  If one is available, I will put both in an
EC2 enclosure so that he can have the "K2 Twins"

On 8/20/2013 2:48 AM, KC6CNN wrote:

> I wanted to take a minute to thank a few hams that help me assist a wounded
> warrior that just became a ham operator.
> I would like to thank  John   KF7OM  for being patient while a bunch of ham
> pooled their money to purchase a radio for the wounded warrior.
>
> I would like to thank Don Wilhelm  W3FPR for his help trouble shooting and
> walking me through a trouble shooting of a donated kio2 kit that did not
> work. Don you assistance was right on and you hit the nail on the head and
> solved the problem.
>
> I would also like to thank the fine people at Elecraft. Once Don had
> isolated the problem and it was a transistor. I called Elecraft and spoke
> with Howard. I explained that Don and I had been trouble shooting a KIO2 for
> a Wounded Warrior new ham and needed a transistor. I gave him a part number
> and Howard said I will get it sent out to you tomorrow. It arrived fast and
> resolved the problem.
>
> The radio was given to the Wounded Warrior today and he was beaming with
> pride. A bunch of local hams came out and built a dipole antenna and pitched
> in to get him on the air.
>
> When he found out that John, Don, Howard from Elecraft had all help a person
> they did not know it brought a tear to his eyes. For a Wounded Warrior who
> also suffers from PTSD. Ham radio allows him to met new people and talk
> around the world. Right now he has a Elecraft K2/10, we are all going to
> work on getting him a mic and eventually up to a 100 watts. But he showed
> great interest in qrp. The mic will not be used much I suspect as he has
> also expressed a great interest to do CW.
>
> So, Thanks to all of you that help in this project. It reassured me that
> hams are great people and that Elecraft is the very best in customer
> service. I know that most the hams down here could not believe that Elecraft
> would send the part out and that it was so easy to get ahold of a
> knowledgeable person from the company. I can assure you that the Wounded
> Warrior will not buy any other brand of rig, except Elecraft.
>
> Thank you all. It was very touching.
> 73's Gerald KC6CNN
>

> -----
> KC6CNN - Gerald
> K2 # 5486
> K3 # 6254
> KX3 # 757

Re: Wounded Warrior - Ham Operator

Hi,

Eric and Wayne have offered a 50% discount on a new KPA100 and KAT100-2
for this project -- Thank you Elecraft.  I will be doing the building at
no cost.

We have 2 solid contributions of $100 each for this project with a
possibility of a 3rd (unconfirmed).
I have gone 'out on a limb' and ordered the kits charged to my credit
card.  If there is a 3rd or a 4th individual who would like to help (in
any amount), that would be greatly appreciated (less money out of my
pocket).

Please let me know if you are also willing to help.  I will not accept
anything in excess of my actual expenses.

On 8/20/2013 2:48 AM, KC6CNN wrote:

> I wanted to take a minute to thank a few hams that help me assist a wounded
> warrior that just became a ham operator.
> I would like to thank  John   KF7OM  for being patient while a bunch of ham
> pooled their money to purchase a radio for the wounded warrior.
>
> I would like to thank Don Wilhelm  W3FPR for his help trouble shooting and
> walking me through a trouble shooting of a donated kio2 kit that did not
> work. Don you assistance was right on and you hit the nail on the head and
> solved the problem.
>
> I would also like to thank the fine people at Elecraft. Once Don had
> isolated the problem and it was a transistor. I called Elecraft and spoke
> with Howard. I explained that Don and I had been trouble shooting a KIO2 for
> a Wounded Warrior new ham and needed a transistor. I gave him a part number
> and Howard said I will get it sent out to you tomorrow. It arrived fast and
> resolved the problem.
>
> The radio was given to the Wounded Warrior today and he was beaming with
> pride. A bunch of local hams came out and built a dipole antenna and pitched
> in to get him on the air.
>
> When he found out that John, Don, Howard from Elecraft had all help a person
> they did not know it brought a tear to his eyes. For a Wounded Warrior who
> also suffers from PTSD. Ham radio allows him to met new people and talk
> around the world. Right now he has a Elecraft K2/10, we are all going to
> work on getting him a mic and eventually up to a 100 watts. But he showed
> great interest in qrp. The mic will not be used much I suspect as he has
> also expressed a great interest to do CW.
>
> So, Thanks to all of you that help in this project. It reassured me that
> hams are great people and that Elecraft is the very best in customer
> service. I know that most the hams down here could not believe that Elecraft
> would send the part out and that it was so easy to get ahold of a
> knowledgeable person from the company. I can assure you that the Wounded
> Warrior will not buy any other brand of rig, except Elecraft.
>
> Thank you all. It was very touching.
> 73's Gerald KC6CNN
>

> -----
> KC6CNN - Gerald
> K2 # 5486
> K3 # 6254
> KX3 # 757

Re: Wounded Warrior - Ham Operator

Buddy Brannan
Unfortunately, I can’t contribute just now (too much month, you know), but definitely want to help as well. I love that he’s interested in learning morse, too. While I can’t go in on the KPA100/KAT100 project (I hope it gets fully funded by the time I could do something towards it), can I, I dunno, send him a good straight key (not to mention welcome him to the Straight Key Century Club)? Does he have a computer he can run something like the G4FON code trainer on?

I know from personal experience that hams, and especially Elecraft hams, are top shelf, A number one people. While I’m not a wounded warrior, nor for that matter anyone particularly special, I, too, had a group of folks gift me Elecraft gear several years ago, in the name of my now deceased, though still much loved, first guide dog, Karl. Alan/1HYV, builder of a ton of kits, was the guy that built mine, and Don, W3FPR, recently helped me with some repairs that it needed last year. And I, too, want to give back, but it’ll be a couple weeks.

Anyway, thanks from me as well for doing this. It’s one thing to know there are still good people in the world. It’s quite another to see this in action.

Vy 73,
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY

On Aug 20, 2013, at 9:36 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> they did not know it brought a tear to his eyes. For a Wounded Warrior who
>> also suffers from PTSD. Ham radio allows him to met new people and talk
>> around the world. Right now he has a Elecraft K2/10, we are all going to
>> work on getting him a mic and eventually up to a 100 watts. But he showed
>> great interest in qrp. The mic will not be used much I suspect as he has
>> also expressed a great interest to do CW.
>>
>> So, Thanks to all of you that help in this project. It reassured me that
>> hams are great people and that Elecraft is the very best in customer
>> service. I know that most the hams down here could not believe that Elecraft
>> would send the part out and that it was so easy to get ahold of a
>> knowledgeable person from the company. I can assure you that the Wounded
>> Warrior will not buy any other brand of rig, except Elecraft.

Dave Van Wallaghen
Don,

This is very close to Fred's (K6DGW) and my heart. I can't speak for
Fred but I'll cover whatever cost's remain. Fred is very active in the
www.anysoldier.com campaign and my fire department union has been active
in supporting his activities in the past.

Please let me know whatever you need and we'll cover it. This support
cannot be amplified enough.

Thanks for all of you who have supported this effort and YES - thank you
Elecraft!

73,
Dave W8FGU

On 08/20/2013 09:36 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> [...]
>> who
>> also suffers from PTSD. Ham radio allows him to met new people and talk
>> around the world. Right now he has a Elecraft K2/10, we are all going to
>> work on getting him a mic and eventually up to a 100 watts. But he showed
>> great interest in qrp. The mic will not be used much I suspect as he has
>> also expressed a great interest to do CW.
>>
>> So, Thanks to all of you that help in this project. It reassured me that
>> hams are great people and that Elecraft is the very best in customer
>> service. I know that most the hams down here could not believe that
>> Elecraft
>> would send the part out and that it was so easy to get ahold of a
>> knowledgeable person from the company. I can assure you that the Wounded
>> Warrior will not buy any other brand of rig, except Elecraft.

To all,

Thank you, the purse has now been fully funded.  Thanks to the
generosity of several hams and Elecraft, my expenses have now been
covered.  That is all I want.  While I would normally charge a build
fee, this one is different.

This new disabled ham will receive a new KPA100 and KAT100 and his K2
will be aligned and calibrated to perform the best it can be.

Thank you all again for your offers of assistance.  The outpouring of
offers from other hams is overwhelming.  Thank you all for your
assistance on this project.

On 8/20/2013 2:48 AM, KC6CNN wrote:

> I wanted to take a minute to thank a few hams that help me assist a wounded
> warrior that just became a ham operator.
> I would like to thank  John   KF7OM  for being patient while a bunch of ham
> pooled their money to purchase a radio for the wounded warrior.
>
> I would like to thank Don Wilhelm  W3FPR for his help trouble shooting and
> walking me through a trouble shooting of a donated kio2 kit that did not
> work. Don you assistance was right on and you hit the nail on the head and
> solved the problem.
>
> I would also like to thank the fine people at Elecraft. Once Don had
> isolated the problem and it was a transistor. I called Elecraft and spoke
> with Howard. I explained that Don and I had been trouble shooting a KIO2 for
> a Wounded Warrior new ham and needed a transistor. I gave him a part number
> and Howard said I will get it sent out to you tomorrow. It arrived fast and
> resolved the problem.
>
> The radio was given to the Wounded Warrior today and he was beaming with
> pride. A bunch of local hams came out and built a dipole antenna and pitched
> in to get him on the air.
>
> When he found out that John, Don, Howard from Elecraft had all help a person
> they did not know it brought a tear to his eyes. For a Wounded Warrior who
> also suffers from PTSD. Ham radio allows him to met new people and talk
> around the world. Right now he has a Elecraft K2/10, we are all going to
> work on getting him a mic and eventually up to a 100 watts. But he showed
> great interest in qrp. The mic will not be used much I suspect as he has
> also expressed a great interest to do CW.
>
> So, Thanks to all of you that help in this project. It reassured me that
> hams are great people and that Elecraft is the very best in customer
> service. I know that most the hams down here could not believe that Elecraft
> would send the part out and that it was so easy to get ahold of a
> knowledgeable person from the company. I can assure you that the Wounded
> Warrior will not buy any other brand of rig, except Elecraft.
>
> Thank you all. It was very touching.
> 73's Gerald KC6CNN
>

> -----
> KC6CNN - Gerald
> K2 # 5486
> K3 # 6254
> KX3 # 757

Re: Wounded Warrior - Ham Operator

Don Wilhelm-4
To all,

Thank you very much to all who have responded.  As I indicated, my
expenses have now been covered.
If you want to provide further assistance, please contact the "point
man" on this project Gerald KC6CNN.  Several of the 'locals' have
contributed $$$ to purchase the base K2 and mast and antennas for this
disabled veteran.  Perhaps your additional contributions will help to
ease that initial expense.

This person has presented all of us with a gift of his service, and the
response that I have seen has been overwhelming.  Thanks to one and all
who responded.  I have had to refuse some of the offers because it is in
excess of my expenses.  This is *not* a project that I desire to 'make
money' on.

Thank you all for your offers.

BTW, I will be publicly announcing those who contributed when 'the dust
clears'.  If you do not want to be included, please send me a private
email.

On 8/20/2013 10:14 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> [...]
>> Warrior who
>> also suffers from PTSD. Ham radio allows him to met new people and talk
>> around the world. Right now he has a Elecraft K2/10, we are all going to
>> work on getting him a mic and eventually up to a 100 watts. But he
>> showed
>> great interest in qrp. The mic will not be used much I suspect as he has
>> also expressed a great interest to do CW.
>>
>> So, Thanks to all of you that help in this project. It reassured me that
>> hams are great people and that Elecraft is the very best in customer
>> service. I know that most the hams down here could not believe that
>> Elecraft
>> would send the part out and that it was so easy to get ahold of a
>> knowledgeable person from the company. I can assure you that the Wounded
>> Warrior will not buy any other brand of rig, except Elecraft.

Jack Berry
Maybe this reflector has found a mission. Do you still need a mic?

On Aug 20, 2013, at 9:14 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> they did not know it brought a tear to his eyes. For a Wounded Warrior who
>> also suffers from PTSD. Ham radio allows him to met new people and talk
>> around the world. Right now he has a Elecraft K2/10, we are all going to
>> work on getting him a mic and eventually up to a 100 watts. But he showed
>> great interest in qrp. The mic will not be used much I suspect as he has
>> also expressed a great interest to do CW.
>>
>> So, Thanks to all of you that help in this project. It reassured me that
>> hams are great people and that Elecraft is the very best in customer
>> service. I know that most the hams down here could not believe that Elecraft
>> would send the part out and that it was so easy to get ahold of a
>> knowledgeable person from the company. I can assure you that the Wounded
>> Warrior will not buy any other brand of rig, except Elecraft.

Don Wilhelm-5
Jack,

The mic issue has been covered by the offer of either a Shure 444.D or
an Elecraft MH2.
Thank you for your offer.

On 8/20/2013 11:01 PM, Jack Berry wrote:

> [...]
>>> they did not know it brought a tear to his eyes. For a Wounded Warrior who
>>> also suffers from PTSD. Ham radio allows him to met new people and talk
>>> around the world. Right now he has a Elecraft K2/10, we are all going to
>>> work on getting him a mic and eventually up to a 100 watts. But he showed
>>> great interest in qrp. The mic will not be used much I suspect as he has
>>> also expressed a great interest to do CW.
>>>
>>> So, Thanks to all of you that help in this project. It reassured me that
>>> hams are great people and that Elecraft is the very best in customer
>>> service. I know that most the hams down here could not believe that Elecraft
>>> would send the part out and that it was so easy to get ahold of a
>>> knowledgeable person from the company. I can assure you that the Wounded
>>> Warrior will not buy any other brand of rig, except Elecraft.

bdenley
Nice!

Sent from my iPad

> [...]

>> they did not know it brought a tear to his eyes. For a Wounded Warrior who
>> also suffers from PTSD. Ham radio allows him to met new people and talk
>> around the world. Right now he has a Elecraft K2/10, we are all going to
>> work on getting him a mic and eventually up to a 100 watts. But he showed
>> great interest in qrp. The mic will not be used much I suspect as he has
>> also expressed a great interest to do CW.
>>
>> So, Thanks to all of you that help in this project. It reassured me that
>> hams are great people and that Elecraft is the very best in customer
>> service. I know that most the hams down here could not believe that Elecraft
>> would send the part out and that it was so easy to get ahold of a
>> knowledgeable person from the company. I can assure you that the Wounded
>> Warrior will not buy any other brand of rig, except Elecraft.

I have a Bencher paddle he's welcome to.

Brian KB1VBF

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 20, 2013, at 9:57 PM, Buddy Brannan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Unfortunately, I can’t contribute just now (too much month, you know), but definitely want to help as well. I love that he’s interested in learning morse, too. While I can’t go in on the KPA100/KAT100 project (I hope it gets fully funded by the time I could do something towards it), can I, I dunno, send him a good straight key (not to mention welcome him to the Straight Key Century Club)? Does he have a computer he can run something like the G4FON code trainer on?
>
> I know from personal experience that hams, and especially Elecraft hams, are top shelf, A number one people. While I’m not a wounded warrior, nor for that matter anyone particularly special, I, too, had a group of folks gift me Elecraft gear several years ago, in the name of my now deceased, though still much loved, first guide dog, Karl. Alan/1HYV, builder of a ton of kits, was the guy that built mine, and Don, W3FPR, recently helped me with some repairs that it needed last year. And I, too, want to give back, but it’ll be a couple weeks.
>
> Anyway, thanks from me as well for doing this. It’s one thing to know there are still good people in the world. It’s quite another to see this in action.
>
> Vy 73,
> --
> Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
> Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY
>

> On Aug 20, 2013, at 9:36 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Eric and Wayne have offered a 50% discount on a new KPA100 and KAT100-2 for this project -- Thank you Elecraft.  I will be doing the building at no cost.

Re: Wounded Warrior - Ham Operator

Bill Trabold
I have a KDSP2 that I would like to donate to our Elecraft Wounded Warrior.
If his K2 does not have the analog filter, and he would like the DSP, it
would be my pleasure to donate it to this great American.  Just let me know
where to send it.  The sockets for the DSP that mount in the K2 may be
required, but I bet Elecraft will take care of that.

73,

Bill WA3UCR

Re: Wounded Warrior - Ham Operator

Tom McCulloch
You guys are great--in less than24 hours since the original post
appeared, the need was met!

I shouldn't be surprised, hams have always come through, but a tear is
in my eye nonetheless.

And more importantly, thanks to the newest member of our Elecraft family
and all the other service men and women and their families for all of
there sacrifices.

Tom
WB2QDG
K2 1103

> [...]

>> Warrior who
>> also suffers from PTSD. Ham radio allows him to met new people and talk
>> around the world. Right now he has a Elecraft K2/10, we are all going to
>> work on getting him a mic and eventually up to a 100 watts. But he
>> showed
>> great interest in qrp. The mic will not be used much I suspect as he has
>> also expressed a great interest to do CW.
>>
>> So, Thanks to all of you that help in this project. It reassured me that
>> hams are great people and that Elecraft is the very best in customer
>> service. I know that most the hams down here could not believe that
>> Elecraft
>> would send the part out and that it was so easy to get ahold of a
>> knowledgeable person from the company. I can assure you that the Wounded
>> Warrior will not buy any other brand of rig, except Elecraft.

Bill Blomgren (kk4qdz)
I wonder if this would be a good 'fund raiser' for Hamfests.  There are a bunch of wounded warriors here in NC fighting their battles with the VA.

One of the local veteranarians has setup a pets for vets to help some of the folk with PTSD.  (Having a dog that loves you unconditionally, and helps give a reason to get out of bed is a GREAT thing for some of them...) -- I suspect a bunch would find ham radio a great way to pass the time while healing.....

KK4QDZ - Now with Extra Class Priv's, and a tiny KX3 to enjoy them!

________________________________
> [...]

>> Warrior who
>> also suffers from PTSD. Ham radio allows him to met new people and talk
>> around the world. Right now he has a Elecraft K2/10, we are all going to
>> work on getting him a mic and eventually up to a 100 watts. But he
>> showed
>> great interest in qrp. The mic will not be used much I suspect as he has
>> also expressed a great interest to do CW.
>>
>> So, Thanks to all of you that help in this project. It reassured me that
>> hams are great people and that Elecraft is the very best in customer
>> service. I know that most the hams down here could not believe that
>> Elecraft
>> would send the part out and that it was so easy to get ahold of a
>> knowledgeable person from the company. I can assure you that the Wounded
>> Warrior will not buy any other brand of rig, except Elecraft.

Bill,

I believe that would be a worthy cause, but it also would require some
organization and mechanism to evaluate the needs of worthwhile recipients.

In this particular case, I have had previous relations with the
originating ham and have no doubts about his intentions.  The
possibility for scams is present and should be checked out before
contributions are sought in individual cases.

Of course, being a ham oriented request, I believe there should be no
"administrative costs" and all donated funds should benefit the
recipient(s).

What works on an individual basis may not work well for general
requests.  It would be interesting if some club or group would want to
take on such a project to help those veterans suffering from PTSD and
other battlefield injuries and problems to become hams and widen their
outlook on life.

On 8/21/2013 9:25 PM, Bill Blomgren (kk4qdz) wrote:
> I wonder if this would be a good 'fund raiser' for Hamfests.  There are a bunch of wounded warriors here in NC fighting their battles with the VA.
>
> One of the local veteranarians has setup a pets for vets to help some of the folk with PTSD.  (Having a dog that loves you unconditionally, and helps give a reason to get out of bed is a GREAT thing for some of them...) -- I suspect a bunch would find ham radio a great way to pass the time while healing.....
>
> KK4QDZ - Now with Extra Class Priv's, and a tiny KX3 to enjoy them!

Re: Wounded Warrior - Ham Operator

Rick WA6NHC
I would humbly submit that there are already some well intentioned and
effective organizations in place to support the wounded warriors.  God knows
our veterans deserve our support and the VA is crippled from overload on a
reduced budget.  That discussion is not pertinent here.

If one felt strongly enough, they can volunteer their services then present
any special need that is beyond the ability of that individual, to the list.

Local ham group support should be approached first for the same reason; they
already have the support system in place and local knowledge.  The key, as
always, is to get the average tight fisted ham to give a little.  ;o)

The mechanisms are already in place; why reinvent the wheel, again?

Rick wa6nhc