XG2 Frequency Accuracy

David Gilbert

Does anyone know the typical frequency accuracy of the XG2?  If I had
two XG2's, what would be the typical separation in frequency between the
two of them at the 14060 setting?

Thanks,
Dave   AB7E

Re: XG2 Frequency Accuracy

Don Wilhelm-4
  Dave,

The frequency accuracy of the XG2 will vary with the individual
crystals.  It is not specifically for frequency accuracy, but for level
accuracy.

In other words, I would not depend on the XG2 for any sort of frequency
calibration unless you measured the output of a particular one with a
calibrated frequency meter.

On 12/11/2010 9:00 PM, David Gilbert wrote:
> Does anyone know the typical frequency accuracy of the XG2?  If I had
> two XG2's, what would be the typical separation in frequency between the
> two of them at the 14060 setting?

Re: XG2 Frequency Accuracy

David Gilbert

Yeah, I understand that.  I was just wondering how close they might be
since I don't have a clue what the tolerance is of the crystals used by
Elecraft.  Specifically, I was wondering if they would be close enough
(typically) to use for in-band IMD tests as a function of AGC settings.
Or at least close enough that whichever one was higher in frequency
could be easily padded down to within a few tens of Hz or so of the other.

73,
Dave   AB7E

On 12/11/2010 7:22 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

>  Dave,
>
> The frequency accuracy of the XG2 will vary with the individual
> crystals.  It is not specifically for frequency accuracy, but for
> level accuracy.
>
> In other words, I would not depend on the XG2 for any sort of
> frequency calibration unless you measured the output of a particular
> one with a calibrated frequency meter.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 12/11/2010 9:00 PM, David Gilbert wrote:
>> Does anyone know the typical frequency accuracy of the XG2?  If I had
>> two XG2's, what would be the typical separation in frequency between the
>> two of them at the 14060 setting?

Re: XG2 Frequency Accuracy

Don Wilhelm-4
  Dave,

I would expect the frequency to be within a couple hundred Hz of the
frequency on the crystal.
Yes, you should be able to pad the frequency down with a small parallel
capacitor, just like any VXO.  I don't know how much range you would get
without adding a series inductor to the bottom side on the crystal.
Experiment with it and see what you get.

Actually, I think it would be easier to just build a VXO or two -
manhatten construction is quite easy to do, just cut some pads for the
parts of the circuit that need to be isolated from ground and glue them
to a PC Board ground plane - alternately, use high value resistors (4.7
megohms for instance) to serve as "insulators" and build it using Wes
Hayward's "Ugly Construction" techniques.