XG2 signal generator

K2QI
Hello group,

Just wanted to let you know that I assembled my first real Elecraft kit
today, and that was the XG2 signal generator.  It took me about 2 hours to
assemble the kit.  I took my time, and read the assembly errata before
beginning.  I'm rather pleased with myself as this was the first solder kit
I've tackled; everything else has been plug-together-assembly.  I've also
just completed calibrating my K3's s-meter, which was a rather painless
process.

I'm now ready to tackle my next solder-together kit.  K2 perhaps? :)

--
73 de James K2QI

--... ...-- -.. . .--- .- -- . ...

Re: XG2 signal generator

n7ws
Congrats James.

I've been homebrewing since 1958 but I too just put together an XG2 that Santa delivered. Nice little "starter kit" and useful too.

Wes  N7WS

Re: XG2 signal generator

Phil Hystad
Funny,

I too just finished putting it together.  Works with no problems on the first test.

And, my K3 kit arrived today.  The boxes are sitting here on the floor in my den and I will probably get started on it tomorrow.  Tonight I am reading through the assembly manual.

phil, K7PEH

On Jan 4, 2010, at 5:04 PM, Wes Stewart wrote:

> Congrats James.
>
> I've been homebrewing since 1958 but I too just put together an XG2 that Santa delivered. Nice little "starter kit" and useful too.
>
> Wes  N7WS

Re: XG2 signal generator

Mike B-12
The biggest problem with kit building is that you typically get done far
too quickly.  That leaves you feeling empty and yearning for yet more
kits to build, and on and on...

73,
Mike KW1ND

Re: XG2 signal generator

K2QI
I'd have to agree... I'm thinking a K2 would be a nice summer-time project.
Or perhaps *gasp* one of those fandangled DZKit Sienna's. ;-)

Only thing I worry about is winding toroids.

73 de James K2QI

--... ...-- -.. . .--- .- -- . ...

Re: XG2 signal generator

n7ws

--- On Mon, 1/4/10, James Sarte <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'd have to agree... I'm thinking a K2 would be a nice summer-time project.
Or perhaps *gasp* one of those fandangled DZKit Sienna's. ;-)

Only thing I worry about is winding toroids.

Why?  What could be simpler?

Re: XG2 signal generator

K2QI
Dunno. lots of people seem to complain about winding toroids, so I just
assumed they'd be a PITA.  There's even a toroid winding service?!?!?

On the other hand, I've never been one to shy away from a challenge.

James K2QI

  _____

--... ...-- -.. . .--- .- -- . ...

Re: XG2 signal generator

daleputnam

shoot... some toroids are wound for free... just pay the shipping...

--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

Re: XG2 signal generator

Joe Planisky
Bah!  Winding toroids may be tedious, but it's by no means difficult.
It's sort of like sewing on buttons.  If you've never done it before,
the first 1 or 2 are sort of fun.  By the time you've done 10, it's
not as much fun.  By the time you've done 20, you begin to understand
why some people are willing to pay someone else to do it. :-)

One of the things that makes it a little frustrating especially with
the smaller cores (like the T37) is that it can be hard to hold on to
the thing while winding. I've found that attaching a small cable tie
(ty-rap) tightly to the core provides a convenient handle.  You can
even chuck it into a bench vise to leave both hands free to thread the
wire.

Joe KB8AP

On Jan 4, 2010, at 6:21 PM, James Sarte wrote:

> Dunno. lots of people seem to complain about winding toroids, so I
> just
> assumed they'd be a PITA.  There's even a toroid winding service?!?!?

Torroid winding aid

Ken Kopp-3
A list member recently posted a torrid-holding tool made
from a clothes pin.  Since I can't find the posting,maybe
he'll re-post the idea.

73! Ken Kopp - K0PP
     [hidden email]

Re: Torroid winding aid

Steve Ellington
http://n2.nabble.com/Toroid-Holder-from-a-Clothespin-td4209879.html

Steve
N4LQ
[hidden email]
>A list member recently posted a torrid-holding tool made
> from a clothes pin.  Since I can't find the posting,maybe
> he'll re-post the idea.
>
> 73! Ken Kopp - K0PP
>     [hidden email]

14:35:00