XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

wayne burdick
Administrator
How far are you from W7RDP?

On Jun 21, 2011, at 6:10 PM, K7WIA wrote:

> I can detect the beacon using WSJT9, but I can not hear it in the
> speaker,
> The freg I have for zero beat in CW-REV is 50.02576.  and I should
> be close,
> calibrated w/ sprectran w/WWV
>
> I see a 20 second line on the waterfall every 60 seconds and have
> been for
> the last 15 minutes.
>
> my K3 does not have the PR6 preamp..  just using the one in the K3..
>
> Ed  K7WIA

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

Al Gulseth-2
Wayne,

After noting the mention of using WSJT to detect the beacon (and since you
obviously would like to "encourage" the use of XG3s in beacon service) it
occurred to me: what about QRSS mode? Assuming the hardware would handle the
long on/TX times associated with QRSS, it seems to me that all that would be
needed would be a firmware update to allow the slower QRSS CW speed. (A
number of QRPers I know are experimenting with QRSS, mostly on 30M, and I
suspect expanding the idea to other bands (e.g. 6M) might be of interest to
some of them.)

TNX/73, Al

On Tue June 21 2011 8:13:31 pm Wayne Burdick wrote:

> How far are you from W7RDP?
>
> On Jun 21, 2011, at 6:10 PM, K7WIA wrote:
> > I can detect the beacon using WSJT9, but I can not hear it in the
> > speaker,
> > The freg I have for zero beat in CW-REV is 50.02576.  and I should
> > be close,
> > calibrated w/ sprectran w/WWV
> >
> > I see a 20 second line on the waterfall every 60 seconds and have
> > been for
> > the last 15 minutes.
> >
> > my K3 does not have the PR6 preamp..  just using the one in the K3..
> >
> > Ed  K7WIA
> >
> > --
> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

KD7PY
per Google Earth,  I am 18.42 miles away..

this is not Kansas.....seattle is a very hilly city.  and from Goggle earth. the beacon is in a hole for me, and a lot of hills between it and me.. although I do have a clear horizon to the cascade Mtns to the east from my QTH and in the direction of the beacon.......
Ed K7WIA

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

wayne burdick
I'll pass this onto the engineer who wrote the XG3 firmware (Paul
Saffren). If we get enough demand we could add this.

Thanks,
Wayne
N6KR

On Jun 21, 2011, at 6:44 PM, Al Gulseth wrote:

> Wayne,
>
> After noting the mention of using WSJT to detect the beacon (and
> since you
> obviously would like to "encourage" the use of XG3s in beacon
> service) it
> occurred to me: what about QRSS mode? Assuming the hardware would
> handle the
> long on/TX times associated with QRSS, it seems to me that all that
> would be
> needed would be a firmware update to allow the slower QRSS CW speed.
> (A
> number of QRPers I know are experimenting with QRSS, mostly on 30M,
> and I
> suspect expanding the idea to other bands (e.g. 6M) might be of
> interest to
> some of them.)
>
> TNX/73, Al
>
> On Tue June 21 2011 8:13:31 pm Wayne Burdick wrote:
>> How far are you from W7RDP?
>>
>> On Jun 21, 2011, at 6:10 PM, K7WIA wrote:
>>> I can detect the beacon using WSJT9, but I can not hear it in the
>>> speaker,
>>> The freg I have for zero beat in CW-REV is 50.02576.  and I should
>>> be close,
>>> calibrated w/ sprectran w/WWV
>>>
>>> I see a 20 second line on the waterfall every 60 seconds and have
>>> been for
>>> the last 15 minutes.
>>>
>>> my K3 does not have the PR6 preamp..  just using the one in the K3..
>>>
>>> Ed  K7WIA
>>>
>>> --
>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

wayne burdick
In that case, you now hold the record for copying an unamplified XG3
beacon :)

The previous record was 1/4 mile or so.

Wayne

On Jun 21, 2011, at 6:46 PM, K7WIA wrote:

> per Google Earth,  I am 18.42 miles away..
>
> this is not Kansas.....seattle is a very hilly city.  and from
> Goggle earth.
> the beacon is in a hole for me, and a lot of hills between it and me..
> although I do have a clear horizon to the cascade Mtns to the east
> from my
> QTH and in the direction of the beacon.......
> Ed K7WIA

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

Phil Hystad-3
According to QRZ, Beacon Doug, W7RDB, is on the Sammamish Plateau and not in Seattle.  Seattle is due west of Doug unless his repeater is at some other location.  Line of sight distance between my QTH and W7RDP is about 11.5 miles.  Also, I am on a hill top and depending on where Doug is located we could have close to line-of-sight path.  I don't have a gain antenna, just a 300 foot delta loop that I can tune to 6 meters.

Oh, I have not heard his beacon, started listening at about 7:45 PM and it is now 8:10 PM.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Jun 21, 2011, at 3:40 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> Do we have any experts at path-loss calculations (over typical
> Seattlian terrain) on the list?
>
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
> On Jun 21, 2011, at 3:34 PM, Kevin Rock wrote:
>
>> I should be line of sight to Seattle.  I know I am south of it and
>> he is using a gain antenna.  Do you think he will reach beyond the
>> outskirts of Seattle?
>>  Kevin.
>>

>> On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 15:26:00 -0700, Wayne Burdick
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Also, at 0 dBm power output, his XG3 may only be audible to fairly
>>> close stations unless there's a serious band opening.
>>>
>>> Wayne
>>> N6KR

>> --
>> Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

Jessie Oberreuter-2

      Alas, no copy from CN87uo, just north of the U-District :(.  I have
excellent shots S and W, and have a pretty good shot E, but not
line-of-site.

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> In that case, you now hold the record for copying an unamplified XG3
> beacon :)
>
> The previous record was 1/4 mile or so.
>
> Wayne
>
> On Jun 21, 2011, at 6:46 PM, K7WIA wrote:
>
>> per Google Earth,  I am 18.42 miles away..
>>
>> this is not Kansas.....seattle is a very hilly city.  and from
>> Goggle earth.
>> the beacon is in a hole for me, and a lot of hills between it and me..
>> although I do have a clear horizon to the cascade Mtns to the east
>> from my
>> QTH and in the direction of the beacon.......
>> Ed K7WIA
>>
>> --
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

Bill W4ZV
wayne burdick wrote
In that case, you now hold the record for copying an unamplified XG3
beacon :)

The previous record was 1/4 mile or so.

Wayne
I hope you realize that 1000 microwatts (1 mW or 0 dBm) is very QRO in the world of weak signal beacons.  Try 27 microwatts at a distance of 546.8 miles on 80 meters.  ;-)

http://www.eham.net/articles/10078

When lightning season is over (next fall), I'll hook up my XG3 to my 3-stack on 10 meters (22 dBi gain) and see if you can hear me in W6 land.

73,  Bill  W4ZV

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

Bill K9YEQ
I may put one up in here in WI when I get my  alternative other side of the
house coax line installed.  Might as well use the XG3 near 100% of the time.
Line loss could be a detrimental factor, but I do have.75" heliax to help.

73,
Bill
K9YEQ

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

Bill K9YEQ
Wayne,

You have now thrown the gauntlet!

73,
Bill
K9YEQ

In that case, you now hold the record for copying an unamplified XG3 beacon
:)

The previous record was 1/4 mile or so.

Wayne

On Jun 21, 2011, at 6:46 PM, K7WIA wrote:

> per Google Earth,  I am 18.42 miles away..
>
> this is not Kansas.....seattle is a very hilly city.  and from Goggle
> earth.
> the beacon is in a hole for me, and a lot of hills between it and me..
> although I do have a clear horizon to the cascade Mtns to the east
> from my QTH and in the direction of the beacon.......
> Ed K7WIA

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

kevinr@coho.net
I think stacked and phased 20 element Yagi-Udas will get me the title at
150 miles!!  How much aluminum can one put into the sky?
    Kevin.  KD5ONS

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:40:45 -0700, Bill K9YEQ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wayne,
>
> You have now thrown the gauntlet!
>

> 73,
> Bill
> K9YEQ

I know a guy in Minnesota with a ton of hard line on a very tall tower.  I
think his 6m antenna is attached part way up the side at about 1000 feet.
I think you may want to convince him to add an XG3 beacon on that hardline
during his off hours.  Or raise the 6m loop up a bit and put it at 2000
feet.  That should increase the radius the 0 dBm signal can cover.  What
do you think Scott?
    73,
       Kevin.  KD5ONS