XG3 question

radioshoppe
Hi,
I have a need for a 72.9 MHz signal source that can be heard on an FM receiver.  The question is does the XG3 cover that frequency and can it's output cause any kind of an indication on an FM receiver.  I'm not looking for intelligent audio from the receiver.....just a buzz, hiss of anything to indicate that the source is being received.
Thanks in advance.

Take pride in the USA. 73

Jim, W0EM

Re: XG3 question

Mike WA8BXN
Hi Jim,

I don't have an XG3 but from the elecraft page it looks like it works on
frequencies above what you are looking for so it should work for you. With
an FM receiver you will hear quieting when the carrier from the XG3 is on
the frequency your receiver is tuned to. Often FM receivers are somewhat
broad so if your purpose is to tune it to a particular frequency just
listening to a signal on frequency may not do it. If your FM receiver is
fixed frequency (and known to be on frequency) then the signal from the XG3
should let you know it is working.

73 - Mike WA8BXN

Re: XG3 question

Kurt Pawlikowski
Jim,

     To add to what Mike said in the reflector, and, as I understand it,
you can make the XG3 scan between two set frequencies. I suspect that,
if you set those frequencies fairly narrow and within the band pass of
the receiver, you should get some buzz (I suspect some sort of
saw-tooth). Of course, I don't know how fast it would scan, but I would
think that you should be able to detect it. Hope that helps until
someone with hands-on experience can reply...

     Regards,

     kurtt

     Kurt Pawlikowski, AKA WB9FMC
     The Pinrod Corporation