XG3 question

Edward R Cole
Jim,

Kurt is correct (I will expand on his suggestion).

First you should find the center frequency of your radio (72.9
MHz).  ON the main window of the XG3 Utility Press window 2 and then
Press "edit".  Enter the center freq. in the window labeled
2.    Press "Apply" and then "OK".   The freq that you found that
quieted the radio will be shown as current freq. at the window at the
top. The XG3 outputs a carrier which will quiet an FM radio when the
signal is strong enough.  Set output level to -73 dBm should work or
use -33 dBm.  I found I could radiate enough -33 dBm signal with a
rubber duckie antenna connected to the XG3 place near my 2m FM radio
for it to pick up the signal.

Once you know that enter a frequency offset from that until the radio
is no longer quiet.  Use these two frequencies in the scan window
(PRESS the edit sweeps button).  Enter the first freq in the "Start
Freq" window and the second freq in the  "Stop Freq" window.  Enter
.005 for Step Freq then Enter 100 (ms) in the Step Time
window.  Check "Repeat" and "OK".

ON the main window of the XG3 Utility Press PF1 or PF2 depending on
which you set up and the XG3 will begin to rapidly step in freq and
you should hear it go from a fully quiet to a noisy signal to full
noise and you will hear a "pop-pop-pop" as the XG3 scans.

------------------------------

Message: 32
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 23:12:29 -0500
From: Kurt Pawlikowski <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] XG3 question
To: Jim Harris <[hidden email]>
Cc: Elecraft Email <[hidden email]>

Jim,

      To add to what Mike said in the reflector, and, as I understand it,
you can make the XG3 scan between two set frequencies. I suspect that,
if you set those frequencies fairly narrow and within the band pass of
the receiver, you should get some buzz (I suspect some sort of
saw-tooth). Of course, I don't know how fast it would scan, but I would
think that you should be able to detect it. Hope that helps until
someone with hands-on experience can reply...

      Regards,

      kurtt

      Kurt Pawlikowski, AKA WB9FMC
      The Pinrod Corporation
      [hidden email]
      (773) 284-9500
      http://pinrod.com

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45

Re: XG3 question

radioshoppe
Edward and other who responded,

I appreciate your response.  As it turns out the problem with the FM receiver(s) turned out to be something simple.   I was looking forward to some serious old fashioned troubleshooting.  The receivers are from a language translation system.  Other than one set of dead batteries the problem was that the end of battery holder in the other five receivers would become compressed after changing the batteries several times and the batteries were no longer making contact.  Bending the holder back in shape corrected the problem.  Now to go work on an 80 meter coil for another project.

Again, my thanks to every one who responded.  73

Jim, W0EM