XV-50 No Output

NZ1I
Hi Folks,

I have a XV 50 that has no output. Nothing is showing on my Bird meter but the LEDS do light up across the front of the transverter when I whistle into the mic. It appears to receive ok.

Measurements taken:
U7 Pin 2- 13.6v receive, Pin 3- 13.6v ( should be 3.5 - 4.5) transmit

U 3  Input - 0v receive( ok), 13.5v transmit( within limits?)
       Output- 0v receive (ok), 9v transmit ( should be 5v)

U 6 Output- 0v receive(ok), 1.7v transmit ( to K2 relay) and (5v to Z3)

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks and 73,
Kevin NZ1I

Re: XV-50 No Output

Don Wilhelm-4
Kevin,

Please re-check.
The pin numbers are not marked on the board or on the module.
According to the voltage chart, pin 1 is the output pin and pin 4 is
closest to U6.
If you have 13.6 volts on pin 3, you have a error somewhere - that pin
is fed from the output of the 5 volt regulator U3.

On 10/10/2013 12:44 PM, NZ1I wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a XV 50 that has no output. Nothing is showing on my Bird meter but
> the LEDS do light up across the front of the transverter when I whistle into
> the mic. It appears to receive ok.
>
> Measurements taken:
> U7 Pin 2- 13.6v receive, Pin 3- 13.6v ( should be 3.5 - 4.5) transmit
>
> U 3  Input - 0v receive( ok), 13.5v transmit( within limits?)
>         Output- 0v receive (ok), 9v transmit ( should be 5v)
>
> U 6 Output- 0v receive(ok), 1.7v transmit ( to K2 relay) and (5v to Z3)

Re: XV-50 No Output

NZ1I
Hi Don,

I figured out my problem. First I re-did my measurements as you suggested. I checked them against the 2005 Manual and they are within limits. I noticed that when ever I removed my dummyload from the SO-239 connector the static would go intermittent and finally it was very low. I checked the connection from the pcb to the ant connector and the wire Moved! Damn, a real bad solder joint by the Previous owner! The ground lead was just as bad.

So, I replaced both leads, applied some new solder, and touched up some other suspicious joints. And now its 20watts out!

Thanks again for your insight.

73, Kevin NZ1I
K2 # 7329 and XV50, soon XV144 and 222!