XV144 Question

Glenn McNeil
Hi Group,

I've just finished an XV144 Transverter for another Ham who lives just
down the street for me while I'm waiting for my K2 to clear VK Customs (
Bummer ).

We fired it up today and all went well...very well in fact, but one
thing I did notice with the counter plugged into the 144 Mhz Output
through a 30db pad, I could see a reading on the counter up above 6Ghz
with the XV144 in Rx Mode. Removing the IF Driver made no difference,
and removing the RF lead from the Transverter output did...i.e the
signal is coming from the XV144. My counter is good to 18Ghz and needs
around -30dbm to get a lock. I cannot have a look at the output as my
Spectrum analyser gives up the fight at 1.8 Ghz.

Any ideas on what I'm seeing here...and does it need attention. All
other tests appear fine and the Transverter works FB on 144 MHz.

73
Glenn
VK4TZL

Re: XV144 Question

Robert Friess
Hi Glenn,

I designed the XV144 for Elecraft and I am very interested in your
observation.  I just had a look at a XV144 here and can not duplicate your
finding here.  I also looked with a spectrum analyzer and I don't see
anything unusual.  What you are describing sounds like the preamp could be
oscillating.  It would be interesting to touch your finger in the region of
the preamp and see if the frequency moves.  If it does, it would confirm an
oscillation in the preamp.  If that is the case, check the soldering of the
smd capacitor C72 at the drain of Q1.  It is a small 4.7 pF capacitor
intended to roll off the gain of the preamp to prevent the possibility of
oscillation in the microwave region. While you are looking around, look for
cracks in C72 and the other SMD caps around the preamp.  These are sometimes
hard to see without a microscope and are usually found at the junction of
the metalized terminals of the capacitors and the ceramic body.   Please let
me know what you find.

73,
Bob, N6CM