XV144 & TS-520

Martin-2
Elecrafters,
i intend to use my XV144 Xverter with a Kenwood TS-520.
The 520's frequency readout is analog, so not *that* precise.
Where in the TS-520 can i connect a Counter to read
the 10m frequency? Other solutions?
Connect the counter to the XV to directly read the 2m frequency?
Any input welcome.

--

73, Martin DM4iM

Re: XV144 & TS-520

David Christ
If you can chase one down the DG-5 was a digital readout for the
TS-520S or the TS-520 with a adaptor kit.

<http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/dg5.html>

Unfortunately I just sold two a couple of weeks age.

If you search the net you may be able to find a kit that combines the
vfo and if frequency to gove a readout.  I have seen better ones than
this example but will let you do your own search.

<http://www.hamradioindia.org/circuits/fcountlcd.php>

73,

David K0LUM

At 9:01 PM +0200 8/30/11, Martin wrote:

>Elecrafters,
>i intend to use my XV144 Xverter with a Kenwood TS-520.
>The 520's frequency readout is analog, so not *that* precise.
>Where in the TS-520 can i connect a Counter to read
>the 10m frequency? Other solutions?
>Connect the counter to the XV to directly read the 2m frequency?
>Any input welcome.
>
>--
>
>73, Martin DM4iM
>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: XV144 & TS-520

Bob Nielsen-2
Another possibility would be <http://www.aade.com/C520/C520.htm>.

73, Bob N7XY

On Aug 30, 2011, at 2:26 PM, David Christ wrote:

> If you can chase one down the DG-5 was a digital readout for the
> TS-520S or the TS-520 with a adaptor kit.
>
> <http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/dg5.html>
>
> Unfortunately I just sold two a couple of weeks age.
>
> If you search the net you may be able to find a kit that combines the
> vfo and if frequency to gove a readout.  I have seen better ones than
> this example but will let you do your own search.
>
> <http://www.hamradioindia.org/circuits/fcountlcd.php>
>
> 73,
>
> David K0LUM
>
> At 9:01 PM +0200 8/30/11, Martin wrote:
>> Elecrafters,
>> i intend to use my XV144 Xverter with a Kenwood TS-520.
>> The 520's frequency readout is analog, so not *that* precise.
>> Where in the TS-520 can i connect a Counter to read
>> the 10m frequency? Other solutions?
>> Connect the counter to the XV to directly read the 2m frequency?
>> Any input welcome.
>>
>> --
>>
>> 73, Martin DM4iM
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

_____
N7XY DX Cluster Node - telnet to n7xy.net, port 7300

Re: XV144 & TS-520

Al Gulseth-2
Martin,

They're not very common, but a MFJ-210 "Digi-dial" might be what you're
looking for. It takes the VFO output (5-5.5 MHZ) and mixes it with a crystal
to compensate for the IF, then feeds into a conventional frequency counter.

The following link has what looks like text from an ad for the product, and it
specifically mentions the TS-520:

<snip> Order MFJ-210 for any rig with 5 5.5 MHz VFO (TS 520, S, SE; TR 3, 4;
HW 100, 101: SB 101, 102, Tritons; etc).... <snip>

http://www.marcradio.org/rm-1981-10/a-meq.html

(I actually have one in unopened plastic and original box that I came by in a
package deal sometime in the past, but unfortunately it would cost way more
than it's worth to ship it across the pond....)

73, Al

------

> Elecrafters,
> i intend to use my XV144 Xverter with a Kenwood TS-520.
> The 520's frequency readout is analog, so not *that* precise.
> Where in the TS-520 can i connect a Counter to read
> the 10m frequency? Other solutions?
> Connect the counter to the XV to directly read the 2m frequency?
> Any input welcome.

Re: XV144 & TS-520

Mike Morrow-3
> i intend to use my XV144 Xverter with a Kenwood TS-520.
> The 520's frequency readout is analog, so not *that* precise.
> Where in the TS-520 can i connect a Counter to read
> the 10m frequency? Other solutions?

The Kenwood DG-5 has already been mentioned.  That was the digital
display accessory that Kenwood made specifically for the TS-520.

You can get the manual, with schematic and block diagram, to see how
the DG-5 used **three** outputs from the TS-520 to accurately show the
frequency...those are the DET, VFO, and CARRIER RCA connections on the
back of the TS-520.

If you find a DG-5 for sale, make sure you get some sort of guarantee
that it works and is not intermittent.  The DG-5 was one of the most
unreliable devices made in the ham market in the 1970s and early 1980s.
But it was very nice when it worked.

Mine quite working almost 30 years ago.  Been dead ever since.  Very
common condition.

Mike / KK5F

Re: XV144 & TS-520

Martin-2
Elecrafters,
thanks for all the input. Looks like it is not going to be simple
and not cheap at all.

--

73, Martin DM4iM