XV144 alive

johnny-52
Hi Group,

During the construction of this kit, I encountered problems.  I only got a very low RF output on TX.  Obviously, I have communicated with Garry quite a number of times.  Here were the steps in the troubleshooting:

1.  check the Test point voltages as per alignment and test procedures;
2.   check the voltages of the RF module and RF driver U6 as per appendix B in the owner's manual;
3.  since I got correct voltages in step 2, I have to trace the signal path of the 28Mhz I.F. input;
4.  I used a 80dB RF step-by-step attenuator in front of my IC7800 (you can use any receiver in fact) as a signal tracer.  The signal source was my K2 (without K60XV).  I set the maximum RF output in the SEC TRN of K2 at 0.1 watt
5.  I eventually found that the 28Mhz I.F. signal lost at the output pin of U5, a mmic amplifier in the 28 Mhz  IF chain.  Using a DMM to measure the DC voltage of U5 also did not give a correct voltage as per appendix B;
5.    I concluded U5 was dead and asked Scott to send me a replacement.  The replacement arrived today.  After installation, the XV144 is alive and working properly.

Through the trouble shooting process, I learnt a lot about the circuitry of the XV144.  Also, same as in my past experience with Elecraft, customer support from Garry and Scott is excellent.

I am now having my XV144 working with IC7800.  I trust it is a strong 2 meter working station.

73

Johnny Siu VR2XMC