XV144

David Pratt-3
I have a few queries on the XV144 transverter and would appreciate any
comments from others who have built this fine addition to the Elecraft
range.

1. The XV information sheet states that the maximum power of the XV50 is
20W and that of the XV144 and XV222 is 25W. The manual does not mention
25W. Has the XV144 and XV222 rating been increased since the manual was
printed?

2. I notice that the top cover that came with my kit is made of steel
rather than aluminum like the rest of the case. Is there any reason why
aluminum is not used for the trop cover? I should have thought it to be
undesirable to use dissimilar metals for the cabinet construction.

3. What is the recommended frequency coverage of the XV144 when it is
used with the K2?  The frequency range of the K2 on 10m is given as 28.0
to 28.8MHz in the specification. Does this mean that the XV144 should
only be used on 144.0 to 144.8MHz? The XV144 manual suggests alignment
be done at 145MHz, yet perhaps this is outside the recommended range
when it is used with the K2.

4. What is the recommended warm-up time of the XVOVN crystal oven? I
presume there will significant of the XV144 while the oven attains the
75C operating temperature?

5. With the 28MHz band pass filter aligned as in the manual, I notice
that the cores of L15 and L16 are protruding out of the tops of the
cans. Do others find this? Perhaps it is a tolerance thing.

Many thanks; all comments will be gratefully received.

73 de David G4DMP