XV144

John A. Ross [Ecraft]
Hi

Can someone clarify a point for me?

In the XV144 manual Initial setup Part 1 Stage 2 it states removal of L17
for all except XV432.

Stage 3 has L17 preset to 2 turns down from the top of the inductor can for
a XV144

Should it be left as per stage 2 or fitted as per stage 3?

Any info appreciated

All best

John

RE: XV144

Don Wilhelm-3
John,

I have looked through 3 versions of the transverter manuals (2 Field test
revisions and Rev C) that I have here on my computer and none of them have
any instruction that indicates the L17 core should be removed.

Double check your manual and if you have such an instruction, please provide
us the manual revision level and the page.

I vaguely recall something about a typo of this sort a long time ago, so if
you have an older manual than Rev C, you should download the latest version
from the Elecraft website.

In any case, L17 should be preset for 2 turns down from the top of the can,
and that means - do not remove the slug!

RE: XV144

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
Hi John:

You're quite right. The current manual says to take it out, then in a
subsequent step it says to position it two turns from the top.

Sorry about that! L17 has had a hard life, figuring out where to put it.

I double checked with the design engineer. He says to put it in about 2
turns, then when you peak the adjustment, don't be concerned if the "peak"
is with the core almost all the way out of the core. In that case, just take
it out. This is a very broad adjustment and not really at all critical.

I'll update the manual accordingly. We're going to have L17 in the core for
ALL the transverters, then simply remove it if that's where the peak
response occurs.

Ron AC7AC

RE: XV144

John A. Ross [Ecraft]
Don

Thanks for the speedy reply. The manual is Rev C April 2006.

It is on page 25 and is the second step on the right hand column.

###
Skip this step if you are aligning an XV432. On an XV50, XV144 or
XV222, verify that the tuning slugs have been removed from the
following inductors. If not, remove the cores and discard them. These
slugs will not be used:
L1
L10
L17
L11
###

I cannot see a Rev C manual for download from the web site and non of the
errata shows this.

Only things I can see for download are

*XV Transverter (50, 144, 222, 432) Owner's Manual Rev B. (March, 2006)
*XV Transverter Owner's Manual Errata Rev B-3 (April 24, 2006)
*Assembly Manual for XV50, XV144 and XV222 Rev B. (March 2006)
*Assembly Manual Errata for XV50, XV144, XV22 ( Rev B-1 Aug, 7, 2006)
*Assembly Manual for XV432 Rev C  ( April 2006)

Perhaps someone put a Rev C manual cover on a Rev B manual as my page 25
looks exactly like the one from the Rev b March 2006 one which I can see on
the web site?

Any other errata that should be known about?

All best

John