XV432 Alignment Problems - Help!

k2qo
Hi Gang,

Just finished my XV432 expecting to use it next weekend in the ARRL VHF in
my rover setup. Murphy has hit and maybe someone can give me a hand.

My setup is a K2/XV60/IO module running xverter duty with an XV222 using the
split IF, Elecraft control cable, etc. I've used this for a few years and it
works FB.

Now for the XV432. I am on page 29 running Part VI-Filter Alignment. All is
good up to the last checkbox at the bottom right of the page. I key the rig
and get a 2V. On page 30, I continue with adjustment of L15, L16, L17. The
readings are changing as expected. Then I go on to FL1 and FL2 to get a
higher reading at TP5. At the first FL and turn of the screw, the voltage at
TP5 goes to 0. And that is all. I cannot get volts at TP5. I checked to make
sure the K2 is putting out power and I have milliVolts at the TX in
connector.

I did use a small metal Stanley screwdriver to make the fateful adjustment,
but cannot see how this might matter. It would help to have a bunch of RF
voltages to check to determine my problem.

If I do not have this up and running by Thursday, my big rove plans will be
shot as I've revamped the rover setup to include this transverter.

73,
Mark K2QO
FN03ra

Re: XV432 Alignment Problems - Help!

Don Wilhelm-4
  Mark,

I am going to guess that you are plagued with the gremlin of 432 MHz
energy getting back to the K60XV and interfering with its power
measurement mechanism.

Plug the XV432 for high power input and drive it from the BNC on the K2
until you get it aligned.
If all goes well when connected that way, put a 30 or 50 MHz low pass
filter between the K60XV output and the transverter(s).  One of the
little in-line Mini-Circuits filters works well.

On 9/5/2010 4:54 PM, Mark Adams wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>
> Just finished my XV432 expecting to use it next weekend in the ARRL VHF in
> my rover setup. Murphy has hit and maybe someone can give me a hand.
>
> My setup is a K2/XV60/IO module running xverter duty with an XV222 using the
> split IF, Elecraft control cable, etc. I've used this for a few years and it
> works FB.
>
> Now for the XV432. I am on page 29 running Part VI-Filter Alignment. All is
> good up to the last checkbox at the bottom right of the page. I key the rig
> and get a 2V. On page 30, I continue with adjustment of L15, L16, L17. The
> readings are changing as expected. Then I go on to FL1 and FL2 to get a
> higher reading at TP5. At the first FL and turn of the screw, the voltage at
> TP5 goes to 0. And that is all. I cannot get volts at TP5. I checked to make
> sure the K2 is putting out power and I have milliVolts at the TX in
> connector.
>
> I did use a small metal Stanley screwdriver to make the fateful adjustment,
> but cannot see how this might matter. It would help to have a bunch of RF
> voltages to check to determine my problem.
>
> If I do not have this up and running by Thursday, my big rove plans will be
> shot as I've revamped the rover setup to include this transverter.
>

> 73,
> Mark K2QO
> FN03ra

Re: XV432 Alignment Problems - Help!

k2qo
Don,

I rearranged the XV432 to be driven at 5W with my FT817 (my uW IF radio).
Now, all the tests up to the one originally in question, were fine. I still
have 0 Volts at TP5.

What is new: When I rotate R22 CW while feeding 5W from the 817, at about
25% rotation of R22, the overload LEDs on the main board light. I rechecked
the pin headers and shorting blocks and they are correct.

Myron,

You suggested the following:

1.  Check the bias voltage to the PA.  TP5 samples the PA output.  Is the
bias voltage still the same as when you set it previously.

YES.

2.  Check the local LO.  If your adjustment of that stage ended up right on
the edge, sometimes it will stop oscillating and will need re-adjustment.

The LO starts AOK each time I power it up.

3.  Make sure the XVTR is in transmit mode while making these adjustments.

YES. It was. All set there.

I found that some adjustments when peaking TP5 voltage didn't seem to do
much.  Even sometimes a bad coax between the rig IF and the XVTR can cause
systems like you describe.

I tried 2 different coax jumpers with no change.

73,
Mark K2QO
FN03ra

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Mark,
>
> I am going to guess that you are plagued with the gremlin of 432 MHz energy
> getting back to the K60XV and interfering with its power measurement
> mechanism.
>
> Plug the XV432 for high power input and drive it from the BNC on the K2
> until you get it aligned.
> If all goes well when connected that way, put a 30 or 50 MHz low pass
> filter between the K60XV output and the transverter(s).  One of the little
> in-line Mini-Circuits filters works well.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>

> On 9/5/2010 4:54 PM, Mark Adams wrote:
>
>> Hi Gang,
>>
>> Just finished my XV432 expecting to use it next weekend in the ARRL VHF in
>> my rover setup. Murphy has hit and maybe someone can give me a hand.
>>
>> My setup is a K2/XV60/IO module running xverter duty with an XV222 using
>> the
>> split IF, Elecraft control cable, etc. I've used this for a few years and
>> it
>> works FB.
>>
>> Now for the XV432. I am on page 29 running Part VI-Filter Alignment. All
>> is
>> good up to the last checkbox at the bottom right of the page. I key the
>> rig
>> and get a 2V. On page 30, I continue with adjustment of L15, L16, L17. The
>> readings are changing as expected. Then I go on to FL1 and FL2 to get a
>> higher reading at TP5. At the first FL and turn of the screw, the voltage
>> at
>> TP5 goes to 0. And that is all. I cannot get volts at TP5. I checked to
>> make
>> sure the K2 is putting out power and I have milliVolts at the TX in
>> connector.
>>
>> I did use a small metal Stanley screwdriver to make the fateful
>> adjustment,
>> but cannot see how this might matter. It would help to have a bunch of RF
>> voltages to check to determine my problem.
>>
>> If I do not have this up and running by Thursday, my big rove plans will
>> be
>> shot as I've revamped the rover setup to include this transverter.
>>

>> 73,
>> Mark K2QO
>> FN03ra

Re: XV432 Alignment Problems - Help!

Don Wilhelm-4
  Mark,

I am out of "help" on that one.  If you have not already, it is time to
email support at elecraft dot com.

On 9/5/2010 6:46 PM, Mark Adams wrote:

> [...]
>>> and get a 2V. On page 30, I continue with adjustment of L15, L16, L17. The
>>> readings are changing as expected. Then I go on to FL1 and FL2 to get a
>>> higher reading at TP5. At the first FL and turn of the screw, the voltage
>>> at
>>> TP5 goes to 0. And that is all. I cannot get volts at TP5. I checked to
>>> make
>>> sure the K2 is putting out power and I have milliVolts at the TX in
>>> connector.
>>>
>>> I did use a small metal Stanley screwdriver to make the fateful
>>> adjustment,
>>> but cannot see how this might matter. It would help to have a bunch of RF
>>> voltages to check to determine my problem.
>>>
>>> If I do not have this up and running by Thursday, my big rove plans will
>>> be
>>> shot as I've revamped the rover setup to include this transverter.

Robert Friess
Mark,

Even though TP5 is zero, do you measure power output power with an external
meter?  What do you see at TP6 (marked TP5 on the schematic.  TP6 is at the
input of the gain block)

Bob

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Mark,
>
> I am out of "help" on that one.  If you have not already, it is time to
> email support at elecraft dot com.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 9/5/2010 6:46 PM, Mark Adams wrote:
> > Don,
> >
> > I rearranged the XV432 to be driven at 5W with my FT817 (my uW IF radio).
> > Now, all the tests up to the one originally in question, were fine. I
> still
> > have 0 Volts at TP5.
> >
> > What is new: When I rotate R22 CW while feeding 5W from the 817, at about
> > 25% rotation of R22, the overload LEDs on the main board light. I
> rechecked
> > the pin headers and shorting blocks and they are correct.
> >
> > Myron,
> >
> > You suggested the following:
> >
> > 1.  Check the bias voltage to the PA.  TP5 samples the PA output.  Is the
> > bias voltage still the same as when you set it previously.
> >
> > YES.
> >
> > 2.  Check the local LO.  If your adjustment of that stage ended up right
> on
> > the edge, sometimes it will stop oscillating and will need re-adjustment.
> >
> > The LO starts AOK each time I power it up.
> >
> > 3.  Make sure the XVTR is in transmit mode while making these
> adjustments.
> >
> > YES. It was. All set there.
> >
> > I found that some adjustments when peaking TP5 voltage didn't seem to do
> > much.  Even sometimes a bad coax between the rig IF and the XVTR can
> cause
> > systems like you describe.
> >
> > I tried 2 different coax jumpers with no change.
> >
> > 73,
> > Mark K2QO
> > FN03ra
> >

> > On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Don Wilhelm<[hidden email]>
>  wrote:
> >
> >>   Mark,
> >>
> >> I am going to guess that you are plagued with the gremlin of 432 MHz
> energy
> >> getting back to the K60XV and interfering with its power measurement
> >> mechanism.
> >>
> >> Plug the XV432 for high power input and drive it from the BNC on the K2
> >> until you get it aligned.
> >> If all goes well when connected that way, put a 30 or 50 MHz low pass
> >> filter between the K60XV output and the transverter(s).  One of the
> little
> >> in-line Mini-Circuits filters works well.
> >>
> >> 73,
> >> Don W3FPR

> in

> using
> and

> All
> The
> voltage

> RF

> will

> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: XV432 Alignment Problems - Help!

k2qo
Gang,

Per Don's suggestion, I have forwarded all info to E-Support. One more thing
for here. I have summarized my Troubleshooting voltages.

The following numbers that are not consistent with the charts.

RF PWR Module, U7, Pin 3, 2.5V in TX vs the stated 3.5-4.5

TP1, 3.6V in Rx and 3.5 in Tx vs 2.2 Nominal in both modes.
TP5, 0V in TX
TP6, 0V in TX

U1 Output pin, 1.9V in Rx and 0V in Tx vs stated 3.0-6.0.

73,
Mark K2QO
FN03ra

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 10:08 PM, Robert Friess <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Even though TP5 is zero, do you measure power output power with an external
> meter?  What do you see at TP6 (marked TP5 on the schematic.  TP6 is at the
> input of the gain block)
>
> Bob
>
> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  Mark,
>>
>> I am out of "help" on that one.  If you have not already, it is time to
>> email support at elecraft dot com.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>
>> On 9/5/2010 6:46 PM, Mark Adams wrote:
>> > Don,
>> >
>> > I rearranged the XV432 to be driven at 5W with my FT817 (my uW IF
>> radio).
>> > Now, all the tests up to the one originally in question, were fine. I
>> still
>> > have 0 Volts at TP5.
>> >
>> > What is new: When I rotate R22 CW while feeding 5W from the 817, at
>> about
>> > 25% rotation of R22, the overload LEDs on the main board light. I
>> rechecked
>> > the pin headers and shorting blocks and they are correct.
>> >
>> > Myron,
>> >
>> > You suggested the following:
>> >
>> > 1.  Check the bias voltage to the PA.  TP5 samples the PA output.  Is
>> the
>> > bias voltage still the same as when you set it previously.
>> >
>> > YES.
>> >
>> > 2.  Check the local LO.  If your adjustment of that stage ended up right
>> on
>> > the edge, sometimes it will stop oscillating and will need
>> re-adjustment.
>> >
>> > The LO starts AOK each time I power it up.
>> >
>> > 3.  Make sure the XVTR is in transmit mode while making these
>> adjustments.
>> >
>> > YES. It was. All set there.
>> >
>> > I found that some adjustments when peaking TP5 voltage didn't seem to do
>> > much.  Even sometimes a bad coax between the rig IF and the XVTR can
>> cause
>> > systems like you describe.
>> >
>> > I tried 2 different coax jumpers with no change.
>> >
>> > 73,
>> > Mark K2QO
>> > FN03ra

>> energy

>> little

>> VHF in

>> using
>> and

>> All
>> the
>> The
>> voltage

>> RF

>> will

>> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>> >
>> > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> > Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: XV432 Alignment Problems - Help!

k2qo
Robert,

> What DC voltage do you measure at the output pin of U6.

5.0V in TX

> Are you able to set the bias current of U7 with R39 as stated in the
> manual?

Yes, no problem

> Does the receive side work?

Yes, I think. When I turn on the Elecraft N-Gen the noise goes a lot.

> Bob
>
> On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Mark Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Gang,
>>
>> Per Don's suggestion, I have forwarded all info to E-Support. One more
>> thing for here. I have summarized my Troubleshooting voltages.
>>
>> The following numbers that are not consistent with the charts.
>>
>> RF PWR Module, U7, Pin 3, 2.5V in TX vs the stated 3.5-4.5
>>
>> TP1, 3.6V in Rx and 3.5 in Tx vs 2.2 Nominal in both modes.
>> TP5, 0V in TX
>> TP6, 0V in TX
>>
>> U1 Output pin, 1.9V in Rx and 0V in Tx vs stated 3.0-6.0.
>>

>> 73,
>> Mark K2QO
>> FN03ra

Re: XV432 Alignment Problems - Help!

k2qo
Robert,

One more thing on the last tests. I WAS able to peak up FL1 and C1 on RX
with the N-Gen.

73,
Mark K2QO
FN03ra