Yamaha CM500 Headset is a WINNER (and a BARGAIN)

Yamaha CM500 Headset is a WINNER (and a BARGAIN)

Edwin Johnson
> When operating, I plugged the mic and headset into the rear panel
> connectors, turned on the bias (tap 2 on the keypad while in the mic
> select menu) and set mic gain to Low (tap 1 on the keypad in the mic
> select menu). I used max cut of the two lowest bands on the K3 to
~
> Jim K9YC

I'm interested in why you turned _on_ the bias. When I look at the Yamaha it
says this is a 'sensitive dynamic microphone', impedance 600 ohms. You do not
use bias with a dynamic microphone. If an electret (condenser mic), yes, the
bias is a must and generally used to power the internal preamp.

So, is this, indeed, an electret or a dynamic microphone?

73 ...Edwin, KD5ZLB

Re: Yamaha CM500 Headset is a WINNER (and a BARGAIN)

Jim Brown-10
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:42:56 -0600 (CST), Edwin Johnson wrote:

>So, is this, indeed, an electret or a dynamic microphone?

Most Yamaha info on internet about this product is wrong -- the
mc IS an electret, and the physical packaging makes that clear.
Dunno where the error arose -- perhaps a previous version of
this product had a dynamic mic, or maybe the advertising "spec"-
writer did a cut and paste and blew it. Wouldn't be the first
time. :)  Ditto with the 600 ohms part.

What the product description SHOULD say is that it is an
electret mic with its response tailored for communications use
and having a very high output. The product comes with a battery
adapter and adapter plugs to allow it to work with products that
don't provide bias. I suspect that this product is targeted to
computer gamers. Be thankful -- we're benefitting from the
potentially large quantities that Yamaha expects from the
product, hence the low price compared to ham products.

For others who asked about where to buy -- the lowest price I've
seen on the internet is Sam Ash in NYC. Don't know if they will
ship abroad. A member of our club arranged a group purchase, and
we paid just under $40. I think we bought about 25 pieces.

73,

Jim K9YC

Re: Yamaha CM500 Headset is a WINNER (and a BARGAIN)

Gary W. Marklund
Most prices I found on the Internet were in the $59 range. B&H Photovideo in
NYC lists it at $38.95 but they are currently out of stock.

I'll try my local Sam Ash.

73
Gary

--
KJ7RT
Sun City, AZ  U.S.A.

Re: Yamaha CM500 Headset is a WINNER (and a BARGAIN)

w7aqk
I checked on the internet, and was pointed to the Sam Ash link.  The link
said "free shipping, but when I got to the Sam Ash website, it wanted to
charge about 10 bucks shipping, which put their price about the same as what
Amazon sells it for.

I have another suggestion some might want to try.  My biggest concern with
most of these headsets is finding one that has really good earphones--they
vary a lot.  If you find one you really like, and don't think the microphone
is good enough, you might try just replacing the cartridge with one from
Radio Shack.  I've made several electret microphones, all of which got very
good reports as to audio, using the Radio Shack cartridge.  There was
unanimous agreement that they sounded better than the Heil Pro Set I have.

You could even modify a regular set of headphones you have, just attaching a
boom mike to it.  I don't think it would be very hard to do.  I have a
couple of pairs of inexpensive (but comfortable) Labtec headphones I really
like, and I've been contemplating converting them to a combo headset.  The
headphones were only about $10, and a Radio Shack electret cartridge is only
about $3.  At least it would be an interesting project.

Dave W7AQK

> Most prices I found on the Internet were in the $59 range. B&H Photovideo
> in
> NYC lists it at $38.95 but they are currently out of stock.
>
> I'll try my local Sam Ash.
>
> 73
> Gary
>
> --
> KJ7RT
> Sun City, AZ  U.S.A.
> Life Member ARRL - FISTS #14460 - NAQCC # 3709
> Elecraft K1 #2760  Elecraft K2 #6815

K3 Mem Keys Switch From Macro to Memory

Don Ehrlich
I've seen how to toggle from Macro back to Memory but cannot find the
instruction.

After loading macros to the M1-M4 keys how do I regain the ability of using
these keys for CW memories?

Don K7FJ

Re: Yamaha CM500 Headset is a WINNER (and a BARGAIN)

n7ws
Jim is right, it's an electret.  I bought mine at B & H Photo and paid $45.70 to my door.

They are showing it out-of-stock at the moment, but if they had it the price is now $38.95 with free shipping.

--- On Tue, 11/24/09, Jim Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

What the product description SHOULD say is that it is an
electret mic with its response tailored for communications use
and having a very high output.
---

For others who asked about where to buy -- the lowest price I've
seen on the internet is Sam Ash in NYC. Don't know if they will
ship abroad. A member of our club arranged a group purchase, and
we paid just under $40. I think we bought about 25 pieces.

Re: K3 Mem Keys Switch From Macro to Memory

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Don Ehrlich
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've seen how to toggle from Macro back to Memory but cannot find the
> instruction.
>
> After loading macros to the M1-M4 keys how do I regain the ability of using
> these keys for CW memories?

Just store messages in them as before. Each button can be either a
memory or a programmable function .. whichever you enter last sticks.

    ~Iain / N6ML

Re: K3 Mem Keys Switch From Macro to Memory

Dick Dievendorff
You should also be able to press the REC button and then the M1-M4 button,
which preserves the original CW memory's content (unless you touch the
paddle).

Dick, K6KR

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've seen how to toggle from Macro back to Memory but cannot find the
> instruction.
>
> After loading macros to the M1-M4 keys how do I regain the ability of
using
> these keys for CW memories?

Just store messages in them as before. Each button can be either a
memory or a programmable function .. whichever you enter last sticks.

    ~Iain / N6ML

Re: K3 Mem Keys Switch From Macro to Memory

n7ws

After loading macros to the M1-M4 keys how do I regain the ability of using
these keys for CW memories?

>From the release notes:

Note:  M1-M4 cannot be used simultaneously for both message play

and macros. To revert an Mx switch back to
message play, first

switch to CW mode, then tap Mx, tap REC, and
tap  Mx again. This

will also restore message play for DVR purposes (voice
modes).

Re: Yamaha CM500 Headset is a WINNER (and a BARGAIN)

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.