antenna

M C

antenna

M  C
I have very limited space and weight is carefully watched, all of this must fit in my pocket when climbing.

 How small a wire is it possible, example: a bare copper #24 (old telephone wire)  8 feet long can be used with 4 watts with KXAT1-ATU ,

RE: antenna

Don Wilhelm-3
M C,

At 4 watts, the antenna wire size will not make a big difference, the
recommendation of #14 wire from the NEC code considers the mechanical
characteristics (breaking strength) than the electrical characteristics.
There may be some difference in the antenna length wih smaller wire due to
the changed l/d ratio - although that difference becomes increasingly
smaller as the frequency is decreased.