asking for operation tips - KRX3

Johnny Siu
Hello Group,

I got my KRX3 when I was in Dayton.  I now have my 20m antenna as ANT1 and 6m antenna as ANT2.  While working in 20m, I would turn on 'SUB' to monitor the DX window of 6m at 50.110Mhz.

Now comes the question.  If I notice a DX call in 6m in the 'SUB', how I can quickly switch the 'SUB' to main band and TX in 6m right the way answering the CQ call.  I tried to push 'REV' but I was not allowed to do the 'switching'.  Do I miss anything?

Apart from listening 20m on one ear and 6m on the other ear, is there a way to monitor the S meter reading of both 20m and 6m simultaneously?  Forgive me in asking these questions because I could be used to the operation convenience in my IC7800.  Anyway, I need this K3 for portable use before KX3 is available.

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

Re: asking for operation tips - KRX3

Richard Ferch
Johnny VR2XMC wrote:

> I got my KRX3 when I was in Dayton.  I now have my 20m antenna as ANT1 and 6m antenna \
> as ANT2.  While working in 20m, I would turn on 'SUB' to monitor the DX window of 6m \
> at 50.110Mhz.
> Now comes the question.  If I notice a DX call in 6m in the 'SUB', how I can quickly \
> switch the 'SUB' to main band and TX in 6m right the way answering the CQ call.

When VFOs A and B are on the same band, you can press SPLIT to transmit
from VFO B, but this does not work when the VFOs are on different bands.
When VFOs A and B are on different bands, you can only transmit from VFO
A. To transmit to the station you hear from VFO B, first press A/B to
exchange the VFOs.

>   Apart from listening 20m on one ear and 6m on the other ear, is there a way to \
> monitor the S meter reading of both 20m and 6m simultaneously?

I believe the answer to this is no.

73,
Rich VE3KI

asking for operation tips - KRX3

Johnny Siu
Thanks for your advice, Richard
從︰ Richard Ferch <[hidden email]>
收件人︰ "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
傳送日期︰ 2011年06月5日 (週日) 11:18 PM
主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] asking for operation tips - KRX3

Johnny VR2XMC wrote:

> I got my KRX3 when I was in Dayton.  I now have my 20m antenna as ANT1 and 6m antenna \
> as ANT2.  While working in 20m, I would turn on 'SUB' to monitor the DX window of 6m \
> at 50.110Mhz.
> Now comes the question.  If I notice a DX call in 6m in the 'SUB', how I can quickly \
> switch the 'SUB' to main band and TX in 6m right the way answering the CQ call.

When VFOs A and B are on the same band, you can press SPLIT to transmit
from VFO B, but this does not work when the VFOs are on different bands.
When VFOs A and B are on different bands, you can only transmit from VFO
A. To transmit to the station you hear from VFO B, first press A/B to
exchange the VFOs.

>   Apart from listening 20m on one ear and 6m on the other ear, is there a way to \
> monitor the S meter reading of both 20m and 6m simultaneously?

I believe the answer to this is no.

73,
Rich VE3KI

Re: asking for operation tips - KRX3

Bruce Beford-2
Hi, Johnny.
I don't believe you can listen to both 20M and 6M at the same time this way.
The sub RX input is either connected the same antenna selected for the main
RX (ANT 1 or 2) or it listens on the Sub RX in connector. If the main RX is
listening on ANT 1, then your 6M antenna is -not- connected to the sub RX.
That is my understanding of the signal path switching.
73,
Bruce, N1RX

> I got my KRX3 when I was in Dayton.  I now have my 20m antenna as ANT1 and
6m antenna as ANT2.  While working in 20m, I would turn on > > 'SUB' to
monitor the DX window of 6m at 50.110Mhz.

Re: asking for operation tips - KRX3

Bruce Beford-2
Johnny-

I'm sorry, it appears I was mistaken about the antenna switching on the K3.
I have reviewed the antenna routing documentation for the sub receiver. I
see that you -can- select ANT2 on the KAT3 ATU to connect to the sub
receiver, while the main RX is connected to ANT1. Sorry for my confusion.
73,
Bruce,

Diversity reception - KRX3

Johnny Siu
Bruce,

Its all right.  I need to read the K3 manual a couple of times to get the answer as well.

I do have another question.  The offset of the K3 main 2.7Khz filter is -0.24.  Since I bought my KRX3 at a later stage so that I do not have a match pair of 2.7Khz filters.  The offset of the 2.7Khz filter in KRX3 is -0.94.

From my reading of the manual, for diversity reception, I should set the off-set of both receivers at an average of -0.24 & -0.94.  I just do not know whether my understanding is correct.  Any idea?

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

從︰ Bruce Beford <[hidden email]>
收件人︰ [hidden email]
傳送日期︰ 2011年06月5日 (週日) 11:40 PM
主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] asking for operation tips - KRX3

Johnny-

I'm sorry, it appears I was mistaken about the antenna switching on the K3.
I have reviewed the antenna routing documentation for the sub receiver. I
see that you -can- select ANT2 on the KAT3 ATU to connect to the sub
receiver, while the main RX is connected to ANT1. Sorry for my confusion.
73,
Bruce,

Re: Diversity reception - KRX3

Bruce Beford-2
Yes, Johnny. the idea is to have the same offset for both filters. That is
why many people get the 8-pole filters for main and sub RX. They have (near)
zero offset. You two 5-pole filters are a considerable distance apart in
offset. (700 Hz) I do not know what is "acceptable" for a difference, as you
will be shifting each of these 350Hz from optimum. (-.59 offset). Perhaps
someone else may be able to comment on this. Another possibility is perhaps
to trade one filter with someone else (or Elecraft) for one closer in
offset. I have 8-pole filters in my main and sub RX, so I have no personal
experience with this.

GL,

Bruce, N1RX

  _____

Its all right.  I need to read the K3 manual a couple of times to get the
answer as well.

I do have another question.  The offset of the K3 main 2.7Khz filter is
-0.24.  Since I bought my KRX3 at a later stage so that I do not have a
match pair of 2.7Khz filters.  The offset of the 2.7Khz filter in KRX3 is
-0.94.

>From my reading of the manual, for diversity reception, I should set the
off-set of both receivers at an average of -0.24 & -0.94.  I just do not
know whether my understanding is correct.  Any idea?

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

A KRX3 antenna input option

Ken G Kopp

I have made a short (8") M/F TMP extension cable
that allows me to move the ANT input to the KRX3
to a point on top of the KRX3.  This short cable is
tied off to the brass knurled nut to keep it in place.

The BNC/F - M/TMP cable from the tuner is also
routed to the same area and tied off the the nut. The
ANT3 cable is also routed to the same area.  This
allows me ...  by lifting the top of the K3 ... more
flexibility to choose which antenna antenna feeds
the KRX3.

ANT2 is connected to a 6M Yagi.  I bought the KRX3
mostly to monitor 6M for band openings and not for
diversity reception, but since I have a number of
antennas available I can connect whatever I want to
the ANT3 connector.

73! Ken Kopp - K0PP
[hidden email]

KAT3 in 6m

Johnny Siu

Hello Group,

I found something interesting.  As some of you may be aware the pin 1 wire to ANT1 is shorter than pin 2 wire to the ANT 2.  All the way through, I connect my 6m hamstick to ANT2 and 20m hamstick to ANT 1.

Last evening, I did a swap with 6m hamstick on ANT 1(the one with shorter pin 1 wire).  I got 92w out which is more than the usual 82w.  In other words, the length of the wiring from the pin to ANT socket does matter.  In my case, I got higher RF output when connecting my 6m ant to ANT 1.

There is no adverse effect to 20m hamstick which is connected to ANT 2. I just share my experience with other elecrafters with low RF output in 6m.

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

Re: KAT3 in 6m

Vic Rosenthal
But keep in mind that the antenna tuner parameters are saved per band AND per antenna. So
the tuner may be set slightly differently for the two antenna outputs. I suspect that if
you set the tuner to BYPASS and checked with a dummy load they would be the same.

Also many digital wattmeters have poor resolution. Maybe the difference between 82 and 92
watts is just one bit and the power is close to 87 watts in both cases!

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

KAT3 in 6m

Johnny Siu
Perhaps, I should clarify my measurement.  The power readings were taken by LP100A on a Bird dummy load under 'BYPASS' mode.  To reiterate, in my case, I got higher RF output when connecting my 6m ant to ANT 1.

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

從︰ Vic K2VCO <[hidden email]>
收件人︰ [hidden email]
傳送日期︰ 2011年08月16日 (週二) 11:37 PM
主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] KAT3 in 6m

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Re: KAT3 in 6m

Vic Rosenthal
Well, that takes care of most of my points. There is a possibility that even 'bypass' is
different for ant1/2, because, as you know, 'bypass' compensates for the reactance of the
traces, etc. and does not actually remove the tuner from the circuit.

What makes me quibble is that I don't think that the very small difference in cable
lengths -- 1 or 2 cm -- could possibly make a difference at 6 m.

On 8/16/2011 3:48 PM, Johnny Siu wrote:

> Perhaps, I should clarify my measurement. The power readings were taken by LP100A on a
> Bird dummy load under 'BYPASS' mode. To reiterate, inmy case, I got higher RF output when
> connecting my 6m ant to ANT 1.
>
> TNX & 73,
>

> Johnny VR2XMC
> *從︰* Vic K2VCO <[hidden email]>
> *收件人︰* [hidden email]
> *傳送日期︰* 2011年08月16日 (週二) 11:37 PM
> *主題︰* Re: [Elecraft] KAT3 in 6m
>
> But keep in mind that the antenna tuner parameters are saved per band AND per antenna. So
> the tuner may be set slightly differently for the two antenna outputs. I suspect that if
> you set the tuner to BYPASS and checked with a dummy load they would be the same.
>
> Also many digital wattmeters have poor resolution. Maybe the difference between 82 and 92
> watts is just one bit and the power is close to 87 watts in both cases!
>
> On 8/15/2011 11:00 PM, Johnny Siu wrote:
>  >
>  > Hello Group,
>  >
>  > I found something interesting. As some of you may be aware the pin 1 wire to ANT1 is
>  > shorter than pin 2 wire to the ANT 2. All the way through, I connect my 6m hamstick to
>  > ANT2 and 20m hamstick to ANT 1.
>  >
>  > Last evening, I did a swap with 6m hamstick on ANT 1(the one with shorter pin 1 wire).
>  > I got 92w out which is more than the usual 82w. In other words, the length of the
>  > wiring from the pin to ANT socket does matter. In my case, I got higher RF output when
>  > connecting my 6m ant to ANT 1.
>  >
>  > There is no adverse effect to 20m hamstick which is connected to ANT 2. I just share my
>  > experience with other elecrafters with low RF output in 6m.
>  >
>  > TNX& 73,
>  >
>  >
>  > Johnny VR2XMC ______________________________________________________________ Elecraft
>  > http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>
>  >
>  > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net <http://www.qsl.net/> Please help support this
> email list:
>  > http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>
> --
> Vic, K2VCO
> Fresno CA
> http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/
> Post: mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net <http://www.qsl.net/>

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/

KAT3 in 6m

Johnny Siu
Hello Vic,

There is slightly different Z between the two RF paths through the ANT 1/2 relay switching.

I think it is really no harm to have a swap between ANT 1 and ANT2 socket for 6 metre antenna if any elecrafter would like to have a try.  In fact, at the very first beginning, I have exactly the same feeling that the difference in cable length of 1-2 cm won't matter.

Anyway, it is an observation in my case and I am not sure whether it would be applicable in others.

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

從︰ Vic K2VCO <[hidden email]>
收件人︰ Johnny Siu <[hidden email]>
副本(CC)︰ "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
傳送日期︰ 2011年08月17日 (週三) 8:51 AM
主題︰ Re: KAT3 in 6m

Well, that takes care of most of my points. There is a possibility that even 'bypass' is
different for ant1/2, because, as you know, 'bypass' compensates for the reactance of the
traces, etc. and does not actually remove the tuner from the circuit.

What makes me quibble is that I don't think that the very small difference in cable
lengths -- 1 or 2 cm -- could possibly make a difference at 6 m.

On 8/16/2011 3:48 PM, Johnny Siu wrote:

> Perhaps, I should clarify my measurement. The power readings were taken by LP100A on a
> Bird dummy load under 'BYPASS' mode. To reiterate, in my case, I got higher RF output when
> connecting my 6m ant to ANT 1.
>
> TNX & 73,
>

> Johnny VR2XMC
> *從︰* Vic K2VCO <[hidden email]>
> *收件人︰* [hidden email]
> *傳送日期︰* 2011年08月16日 (週二) 11:37 PM
> *主題︰* Re: [Elecraft] KAT3 in 6m
>
> But keep in mind that the antenna tuner parameters are saved per band AND per antenna. So
> the tuner may be set slightly differently for the two antenna outputs. I suspect that if
> you set the tuner to BYPASS and checked with a dummy load they would be the same.
>
> Also many digital wattmeters have poor resolution. Maybe the difference between 82 and 92
> watts is just one bit and the power is close to 87 watts in both cases!
>
> On 8/15/2011 11:00 PM, Johnny Siu wrote:
>  >
>  > Hello Group,
>  >
>  > I found something interesting. As some of you may be aware the pin 1 wire to ANT1 is
>  > shorter than pin 2 wire to the ANT 2. All the way through, I connect my 6m hamstick to
>  > ANT2 and 20m hamstick to ANT 1.
>  >
>  > Last evening, I did a swap with 6m hamstick on ANT 1(the one with shorter pin 1 wire).
>  > I got 92w out which is more than the usual 82w. In other words, the length of the
>  > wiring from the pin to ANT socket does matter. In my case, I got higher RF output when
>  > connecting my 6m ant to ANT 1.
>  >
>  > There is no adverse effect to 20m hamstick which is connected to ANT 2. I just share my
>  > experience with other elecrafters with low RF output in 6m.
>  >
>  > TNX& 73,
>  >
>  >
>  > Johnny VR2XMC ______________________________________________________________ Elecraft

Re: KAT3 in 6m

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

> What makes me quibble is that I don't think that the very small
 > difference in cable lengths -- 1 or 2 cm -- could possibly make a
 > difference at 6 m.

Just thinking out loud ... lead dress might make a difference.  Since
ANT 1 is closer to the place the wires pug into the KAT3, a builder
might coil the excess wire while ANT 2 might be straight.  The extra
inductance ANT 1 vs. ANT 2 might make a difference.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 8/16/2011 8:51 PM, Vic K2VCO wrote:

> [...]
>>   >  experience with other elecrafters with low RF output in 6m.
>>   >
>>   >  TNX&  73,
>>   >
>>   >
>>   >  Johnny VR2XMC ______________________________________________________________ Elecraft
>>   >  http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>   >
>>   >  This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net<http://www.qsl.net/>  Please help support this
>> email list:
>>   >  http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>>
>> --
>> Vic, K2VCO
>> Fresno CA
>> http://www.qsl.net/k2vco/
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

WA1ABI sent me a photo of the lead coiled up. That might do it.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA