changing sub receiver antenna routing

Mike Scott-7
When I installed the sub receiver I had not spent enough time figuring out
how I wanted to operate in diversity mode. I originally installed the Aux
Receiver BNC cable and later changed my mind. If this seems like you, read
on.

I have two 40M antennas that are both transmit capable (Inverted V and
Vertical) and I wanted to operate in diversity mode and to be able to easily
change which antenna is transmit. With my prior set up I would have to
manually change which antenna was plugged into the Antenna 1 and Aux
Receiver ports.

So I opened my K3 this morning to change the antenna setup for the sub
receiver. There isn't a published procedure for this that I know of. This is
what I did in case anyone feels the need to do the same.

1. Remove the top.

2. Find the spare TMP cable and plug it into the KAT3 antenna tuner J43.
This is easily assessable. I routed the TMP cable near the fans along side
the other TMP cable going to the Aux RF BNC connector.

Note: There isn't enough room to remove the sub receiver RF TMP cable
without partially removing the sub receiver.

3. Remove the left side panel and two long screws holding the sub receiver
in. I did not remove the cross brace. Removing the side panel makes it
easier reinstall the sub receiver in a subsequent step.

4. Remove the two knurled nuts and unplug (lift) the sub receiver from the
sub receiver SUBIN and SUBOUT boards.

5. Maneuver the sub receiver just enough to gain finger access to the sub
receiver RF in port.

6. Unplug the Aux Receiver TMP cable. I left this TMP cable in the rig and
later taped it to the sub Rx shield top to keep it from rattling. If my
situation changes I can easily change back.

7.  Plug in the newly install TMP cable that is routed to the KAT3 into the
sub receiver RF in port.

8. Plug the sub receiver back into the SUBIN and SUBOUT boards; make darn
sure the connectors are correctly mated. It is possible to short 12V power
to ground and smoke the Sub Out board if you do this wrong. (Don't ask).

9. Secure the sub receiver with removed screws and knurled nuts. Check tight
all sub receiver TMP cables and that no wires block the fans from rotating.

10. Replace side panel and top.

11. Turn on rig and select Config KRX3 Ant = Atu

12. Read manual and Operate

Mike Scott - AE6WA
Tarzana, CA (DM04 / near LA)
K3-100 #508/ KX1  #1311