contest

Manolo.EA7LL
Hi,

Any advise about operating skills for the next weekend overcrowded band's?
how do you avoid splatters from very close station?

73 de Manolo EA7LL

Re: contest

Dave Hachadorian
Preamp OFF, except on 10 and 15 meters.
Attenuator ON for 40, 80, 160 meters.
NB, NR OFF
High cut = 2.05

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

> Any advise about operating skills for the next weekend
> overcrowded band's?
> how do you avoid splatters from very close station?
>
> 73 de Manolo EA7LL

> Please help support this email list:
> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: contest

Andy Faber
Dave's suggestions are good ones, but having used a K3 for over 6,000 Qs in
ARRL Phone from P49Y, I can say that they only go so far.  You will still
get splatter from close stations.  The K3 is excellent at not creating
digital artifacts due to nearby signals, but unfortunately a lot of the
splatter you hear from nearby stations in a phone contest really is in your
radio passband, and can't be eliminated by any setting of the controls on a
K3 or any other radio.
 Note, it's also possible to run the DSP at a width as narrow a 1.6 kHz or
so in extreme circumstances. Also consider backing off the RF gain at times.
  GL and 73, Andy, AE6Y.
>> Any advise about operating skills for the next weekend
>> overcrowded band's?
>> how do you avoid splatters from very close station?
>>
>> 73 de Manolo EA7LL
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> Please help support this email list:
>> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: K3 contest passband

David Gilbert

Everyone's ears are different, but I used a DSP passband of 1.1 KHz for
most of the 2,200 QSOs I made in the 2009 CQ WPX SSB contest (roofing
filter was 8-pole 1.5 KHz).  I don't remember how far I had to shift the
center frequency, but I think it was down to about 0.85 or 0.90 KHz.  It
definitely helped, but if the splatter is inside your passband (and
unfortunately much of it is) nothing will make a significant difference
other than maybe taking the time to tell the guy above or below you that
he has a dirty signal (which I did twice) and hope that he backs off the
gain or compression (which happened once).

73,
Dave   AB7E

Andrew Faber wrote:

> Dave's suggestions are good ones, but having used a K3 for over 6,000 Qs in
> ARRL Phone from P49Y, I can say that they only go so far.  You will still
> get splatter from close stations.  The K3 is excellent at not creating
> digital artifacts due to nearby signals, but unfortunately a lot of the
> splatter you hear from nearby stations in a phone contest really is in your
> radio passband, and can't be eliminated by any setting of the controls on a
> K3 or any other radio.
>  Note, it's also possible to run the DSP at a width as narrow a 1.6 kHz or
> so in extreme circumstances. Also consider backing off the RF gain at times.
>   GL and 73, Andy, AE6Y.

Re: contest

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED