design challenge: KXPD1 paddle dock for the K2 tilt stand

design challenge: KXPD1 paddle dock for the K2 tilt stand

wayne burdick
Administrator
Our KXPD1 paddle for the KX1 would work very well with the K2 if it
could be directly attached to one of the vertical arms of the K2's tilt
stand. This would eliminate the need for a paddle with a heavy base
during lightweight portable operation.

What we'd need is a very stable bracket that grips the K2's tilt stand
and acts as a physical and electrical "dock" for the KXPD1. It should
meet the following criteria (this sounds harder than it really is):

1. The KXPD1's paddle arms must be parallel to the operating surface
when the paddle's front mounting surface is aligned with the K2's front
panel; this means the dock will have to grip the tilt stand at some odd
vertical angle with respect to the face-plate of the KXPD1

2. Should be as small and light as possible consistent with good
mechanical rigidity

3. Must be usable on either arm of the tilt stand

4. Has to allow the KXPD1 to be attached in either of its two
orientations (for left/right-handed use)

5. Can't scratch the tilt-stand's finish; this implies plastic or
rubber "jaws" in the clamp (if rubber, it should be no thicker than
necessary and have a durometer of at least 90 to prevent movement
during keying)

6. One or more thumb screws (or some other means) should be used to
allow the dock to be secured tightly to the stand

7. Must have a reliable cable for connection to the K2's key jack, with
a strain relief at the paddle end (I recommend Belden model 1508A
shielded 2-conductor + ground cable, or equivalent); an alternative
would be to fit the dock with a second female 3.5 mm jack rather than a
pigtail, and supply a male-to-male cable with it

8. Should be black anodized or have plain aluminum finish (like the
paddle itself)

9. Can't look too klunky! (for lack of a better term)

I'd love to take a crack at such a design myself, but probably won't
get a chance this year. Anyone else interested in giving it a try?

Ideally, we'd like to see the drawing(s) in .DXF file format,
compatible with CNC fabrication.

Whoever submits the best *working* prototype (with a complete drawing,
and satisfying the criteria above) will most definitely be rewarded for
their efforts.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---

http://www.elecraft.com

RE: design challenge: KXPD1 paddle dock for the K2 tilt stand

Gary Hvizdak
Wayne wrote ...

Our KXPD1 paddle for the KX1 would work very well with the K2 if it could be
directly attached to one of the vertical arms of the K2's tilt stand. This
would eliminate the need for a paddle with a heavy base during lightweight
portable operation.

What we'd need is a very stable bracket that grips the K2's tilt stand and
acts as a physical and electrical "dock" for the KXPD1. It should meet the
following criteria (this sounds harder than it really is):

:
:

I'd love to take a crack at such a design myself, but probably won't get a
chance this year. Anyone else interested in giving it a try?

Ideally, we'd like to see the drawing(s) in .DXF file format, compatible
with CNC fabrication.

Whoever submits the best *working* prototype (with a complete drawing, and
satisfying the criteria above) will most definitely be rewarded for their
efforts.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Wayne,

    What a neat idea!  By when must designs be submitted in order for them
to be considered?

Gary, KI4GGX
K2 #4067

On Mar 8, 2005, at 4:16 PM, Gary Hvizdak wrote:

> > What we'd need is a very stable bracket that grips the K2's tilt
> stand and
> > acts as a physical and electrical "dock" for the KXPD1.

> What a neat idea!  By when must designs be submitted in order for them
> to be considered?
>
> Gary, KI4GGX
> K2 #4067

As long as you can put together a working model sometime this year,
you'll beat me to it  :)  No other deadline besides that.

73,
Wayne