do I miss something...?

Jacques Gaudron
Hello
I assembled a W2 wattmeter last december, but I had to spend a couple of
weeks in a clinic, and when back home, I tested it, but it did work as it
ought to !

When "power" on, no problem ; when tapping"range", the 2 watt led never
lights up. The others do normally.

If I apply RF via the K3, the whole line of the "power" green leds lights
up, whatever  power applied, and the SWR line flickers all over the range.

Has anyone an idea?

Thanks for any suggestion.

Best 73

Jacques de F9OJ
K2 #O937  K3 # 2450

Re: do I miss something...?

ON4WIX
Hello Jacques,

I had exactly the same thing happen to me last year when I had built my W1.
First I checked all my solder joints, all were OK. Then I started checking
the continuity of the PCB traces using the schematic. Simple job: if, say,
acording to the schematic one side of R4 is connected to one side of C5,
just put an ohmmeter across this trace to see if it reads 0 Ohms. That way I
discovered my PCB had one hairline crack that was virtually invisible. I
just soldered a small wire to bypass this trace and all was well.

Hope you find the cause of your problems soon.

Bonne année et bonne chance!

73 de Glenn ON4WIX
> I assembled a W2 wattmeter last december, but I had to spend a couple of
> weeks in a clinic, and when back home, I tested it, but it did work as it
> ought to !
>
> When "power" on, no problem ; when tapping"range", the 2 watt led never
> lights up. The others do normally.
>
> If I apply RF via the K3, the whole line of the "power" green leds lights
> up, whatever  power applied, and the SWR line flickers all over the range.
>
> Has anyone an idea?
>
> Thanks for any suggestion.
>
> Best 73
>
> Jacques de F9OJ
> K2 #O937  K3 # 2450

Re: do I miss something...?

Johnny Siu
Hello,

Did you update the W2 with latest firmware 0.94?

cheers,

Johnny Siu VR2XMC

----- 郵件原件 ----
寄件人﹕ f9oj.7 <[hidden email]>
收件人﹕ Elecraft <[hidden email]>
傳送日期﹕ 2010/1/13 (三) 9:44:03 PM
主題: [Elecraft] do I miss something...?

Hello
I assembled a W2 wattmeter last december, but I had to spend a couple of
weeks in a clinic, and when back home, I tested it, but it did work as it
ought to !

When "power" on, no problem ; when tapping"range", the 2 watt led never
lights up. The others do normally.

If I apply RF via the K3, the whole line of the "power" green leds lights
up, whatever  power applied, and the SWR line flickers all over the range..

Has anyone an idea?

Thanks for any suggestion.

Best 73

Jacques de F9OJ
K2 #O937  K3 # 2450

      Yahoo!香港提供網上安全攻略,教你如何防範黑客! 請前往 http://hk.promo.yahoo.com/security/ 了解更多!

Re: do I miss something...?

David Fleming-2
Hi Jacques,

Which sensor do you have? The 2W range is not available with the 2KW sensor.

The flashing SWR LED's indicates a SWR Alarm state. This happens when the W2's SWR Alarm is turned on and the SWR is excessively high. You can use the W2 Utility or the W2 Interface software to turn the SWR alarm off. Sending an 'A' command will toggle the alarm on and off. It takes a power cycle to restore the W2 to normal operation once a SWR alarm occurs.

Be sure to use the W2 Utility to load the most current firmware, v 0.94.

Hope this helps.

73,

David, W4SMT

--- On Wed, 1/13/10, f9oj.7 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
> I assembled a W2 wattmeter last december, but I had to
> spend a couple of
> weeks in a clinic, and when back home, I tested it, but it
> did work as it
> ought to !
>
> When "power" on, no problem ; when tapping"range", the 2
> watt led never
> lights up. The others do normally.
>
> If I apply RF via the K3, the whole line of the "power"
> green leds lights
> up, whatever  power applied, and the SWR line flickers
> all over the range.
>
> Has anyone an idea?
>
> Thanks for any suggestion.
>
> Best 73
>
> Jacques de F9OJ
> K2 #O937  K3 # 2450

Re: do I miss something...?

N5GE
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:44:03 +0100, "f9oj.7" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>Hello
>I assembled a W2 wattmeter last december, but I had to spend a couple of
>weeks in a clinic, and when back home, I tested it, but it did work as it
>ought to !
>
>When "power" on, no problem ; when tapping"range", the 2 watt led never
>lights up. The others do normally.
>
>If I apply RF via the K3, the whole line of the "power" green leds lights
>up, whatever  power applied, and the SWR line flickers all over the range.
>
>Has anyone an idea?
>
>Thanks for any suggestion.
>
>Best 73
>
>Jacques de F9OJ
>K2 #O937  K3 # 2450
[snip]

There have been two firmware changes since the original W2's were
shipped.  You should upgrade the firmware if you have not.  Many
changes were made in both new versions.

73,

Tom, N5GE

[hidden email]