esd?

kc5wa
Having never used a wrist strap or anti-static mat before. I'm at a loss
as to the proper hook up these items. Does the wrist strap attach to the
anti-static mat. Should these items  attach to an 'earth ground' giving
me and earth ground potential. Would running a wire to a ground rod
about 4' away be over kill. Having built a K1 with out these ESD items I
certainly don't want to chance destroying a K2/KX1 buy not using ESD
equipment as the K2/KX1 is to big of an investment. I hesitate in
posting this query as i don't wish to show my ignorance. So going by the
adage of "The only stupid question is one not asked" I'm asking.
TNX
72/71 de "rc"kc5wa

RE: esd?

Don Wilhelm-3
RC and all,

For ESD prevention, it is sufficient that everything in the vicinity of your
work area be at the same potential (no matter what that potential is, but
grounded is best).  Hence, the Elecraft manual instructions 'Touch a large
metal object' is usually sufficient to discharge any static in one's body
and make it the same potential as other surrounding objects - that potential
equalization effort will not be long lasting - for your body can immediately
develop a static charge as soon as you move your feet on the floor or slide
on the seat.  A wrist strap will keep your body at the same potential as the
object that its lead is connected to, and as long as everything at the
workbench is similaly connected all should be at that same potential.  At
least that is the theory.  No direct connections here please.  The grounding
cord on an anti-static mat or wrist strap should have a high value
resistance (about 1 megohm) so one does not conduct current through one's
body when accidentally contacting a live source of current or voltage.

Grounding for a wrist strap or an anti-static mat can be as easy as
connecting  the cord to the utility grounding pin at your power
receptacles - as long as everything at the workstation is also grounded
there (usually connected through the power cords), and is normally
sufficient.  If you do not have properly grounded receptacles in your house,
then another grounding technique may be used - the main thing to remember is
that things should be connected together, and that plastics and many fabrics
will easily develop static charges.  These are is the main reasons I use an
anti-static mat - it discharges static from tools and other ungrounded
objects simply by placing them on the mat, and then I put on the wrist strap
when handling active devices.

Re: esd?

Stuart Rohre
Static buildup depends on the Relative Humidity of the workplace as well.

Down in the South we do not have the problem someone in Phoenix may have
with dry air, for example.

Thus, in addition to discharging yourself, and bringing all work areas to
same voltage potential, you might consider monitoring humidity and being
more careful on dry cold winter days.

-Stuart
K5KVH

Re: esd?

Bill Coleman-2

On Mar 1, 2005, at 2:44 PM, Stuart Rohre wrote:

> Down in the South we do not have the problem someone in Phoenix may
> have
> with dry air, for example.

As a ham from Savannah once wrote, "there are some places in this world
where you couldn't raise a static charge by rubbing two nylon cats
together...."

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [hidden email]
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901