grounding K3/KPA500

Radio Station
I'm looking at getting the KPA500, but need to find a way to ground my K3 as
well as the KPA500. I'm about 12 floors up in a high-rise and people have
suggested to me that I should look into an artificial ground. Are there
other suggestions, and artificial ground recommendations as well?

Any help much appreciated.

Re: grounding K3/KPA500

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
Administrator
Here's some back-ground (hi hi): http://www.w8ji.com/ground_systems.htm

Leigh/WA5ZNU

Re: grounding K3/KPA500

Radio Station
Thanks Leigh, this is very helpful.

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 9:03 PM, Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Here's some back-ground (hi hi): http://www.w8ji.com/ground_systems.htm
>
> Leigh/WA5ZNU

Re: grounding K3/KPA500

Grounding to the AC receptacle "round" connector will normally suffice
for AC mains and safety ground.
As for RF ground, you may get away without it depending on your antenna
situation.  If you have "RF in the shack" problems, "counterpoise" wires
may be the best solution.  A quarter wave wire for each band you intend
to operate will provide a low impedance (RF Ground) for that band.  The
wires can run around corners with gentle bends, but be aware that they
should be insulated, especially at the ends because they can have high
RF voltages even at QRP levels.  Treat those wires the same as an
antenna element with insulators at the ends and keep the wires away from
possible contact by humans and pets.  Insulated wire is OK.

An artificial ground will do the same as the "counterpoise" wires, but
must be tuned for each band.  Your physical situation will dictate which
alternative you should choose.

On 7/30/2011 9:43 PM, Radio Station wrote:
> I'm looking at getting the KPA500, but need to find a way to ground my K3 as
> well as the KPA500. I'm about 12 floors up in a high-rise and people have
> suggested to me that I should look into an artificial ground. Are there
> other suggestions, and artificial ground recommendations as well?
>
> Any help much appreciated.

Re: grounding K3/KPA500

Jim Brown-10
On 7/30/2011 6:43 PM, Radio Station wrote:
> I'm looking at getting the KPA500, but need to find a way to ground my K3 as
> well as the KPA500. I'm about 12 floors up in a high-rise and people have
> suggested to me that I should look into an artificial ground. Are there
> other suggestions, and artificial ground recommendations as well?

An earth connection is required ONLY for lightning safety, and in a high
rise, the best and safest connection is to the steel frame of the
building, AND to the green wire in the AC outlet.  Your ham gear should
be bonded together, and to these two points.

A connection to the earth does NOT make your antenna work better, nor
does it reduce noise, nor does it reduce RFI.  Proper BONDING (as
described above) CAN help minimize both noise and RFI.

A long wire antenna needs some sort of counterpoise to serve as the
return for antenna current, and the return for the fields produced by
the antenna.  In most installations, that function is best filled by
radials. In yours, the bond to the building steel is likely to be VERY
effective.

Don't even consider wasting your money on so-called "artificial grounds"
and stuff like that.

73, Jim K9YC