hooking up an ameritron 811h amp to k3

km5ps
Hello All-
     I need help hooking up an Ameritron 811h amp to my k3.  Don't want
to mess things up off the bat.  Where does the ALC out of amp go to the
k3 and Relay on amp goes where on k3.  First time using an amp.  Any
help would be great.

Thanks
John
km5ps

Re: hooking up an ameritron 811h amp to k3

Don Wilhelm-4
  John,

Forget the ALC - that amplifier only generates ALC when it is
overdriven.  There is no provision for protecting that amplifier from
fault conditions such as that which exist with modern solid state
amplifiers.  Adjust the power of the K3 to properly drive the amplifier
and all will be well.  Do NOT use the amplifier ALC to reduce the K3
output, that will only lead to a distorted signal.  If you insist on
using the ALC line, it connects to the K3 ACC connector on pin 15.  If
your K3 is an older one shipped before Dec 10, 2008 (approx s/n 2362 and
below), your K3 cannot use negative going ALC unless you do the mod to
change it ir replace the KIO3 board with the REMIOUPGD.

The amplifier relay line connects to the K3 KEYOUT jack on the back of
the K3.

One caution - if that amplifier has the original relay, you may find it
is too slow for full QSK with the K3.  Others who have more experience
with that particular amplifier than I can give you more information on
that topic.