[john@rsdtv.com: RE: FW: [Fwd: Re: Big K2 (or K2B - B for Big)]]

Buddy Brannan
----- Forwarded message from "John A. Ross [RSDTV]" <[hidden email]> -----

To: 'Buddy Brannan' <[hidden email]>

As the design of the K2 is pretty modular I do not see any reason why it
would not be possible to mount a K2 inside a larger box and add a direct
entry keypad and memory/mode buttons as well as a bigger display.

Unfortunately to make a really nice job Eric/Wayne would need to release the
code for the micros, no point to re-invent the wheel, something they may not
want to do.
They might also need to support it while it gets ported and would probably
look to validate any mods like that before it was released so they know the
limitations and make sure any "oops" bugs do not reflect bad on the product
as a whole. After all, the final setup and performance rely on the micros
almost exclusively.

The control section ported to a larger micro with a  bit more beef than that
currently used, nice 1/4 VGA display and would be real sweet. Not a
particularly cheap add on I would say though. Even adding the touch screen
at that point is no big deal, a simple one would just need another A/D....
It would also mean that the option to build it as a portable, and use as a
base station would be a matter of choosing the controller/display board to
plug in. It may be possible to just add a connector to the existing
controller/display for such an add-on, as "slave" connectors to the board so
it can use the same front panel board just leave out the micros but that may
be jumping a bit too far ahead as there is quite a bit of I/O to hook up
although a lot of it does goes go from the controller to display board via
the RF board.

Could be done also using the serial API already available and instead of
using a computer for control, just add an additional stand alone controller
inside the "big box".

John

(GM1BSG)