k3 High Current Message on 10 meters

km5ps
I have been noticing that on 10 meters when I bypass the internal tuner
I get a High Current error message.  On my amp meter on my Astron 35m
pwr supply it shows that when I key up about 22 amps and then keeps
rising up to about 35 amps and then cuts itself back.  When I use the
internal tuner on k3 it does not do this.  It shows about 22 amps on amp
meter.  This is the only band that I have noticed this on.  The swr of
antenna is about 1.3:1 for ten meters.  Any suggestions on what might be
wrong?

John
KM5PS

Re: k3 High Current Message on 10 meters

km5ps
On 3/5/2012 8:09 PM, km5ps wrote:

> I have been noticing that on 10 meters when I bypass the internal tuner
> I get a High Current error message.  On my amp meter on my Astron 35m
> pwr supply it shows that when I key up about 22 amps and then keeps
> rising up to about 35 amps and then cuts itself back.  When I use the
> internal tuner on k3 it does not do this.  It shows about 22 amps on amp
> meter.  This is the only band that I have noticed this on.  The swr of
> antenna is about 1.3:1 for ten meters.  Any suggestions on what might be
> wrong?
>
> John
> KM5PS

I did not mentioned that the test was with 100 watts.  When I drop it
back to 90w or lower it does not do this.

John

Re: k3 High Current Message on 10 meters

Bob Harvey - K2PI
John did you ever get an answer to this?  I have a similar situation.

73
Harv
K2PI

--
Sent from: http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: k3 High Current Message on 10 meters

Don Wilhelm
Harv,

I did not see the initial post (fault of Nabble vs. the real Elecraft
reflector), but High Current messages can be caused by a low impedance
at the antenna connection, or also a fault in the KPA3, like one output
transistor that is no longer functioning properly.
There are other causes, like incorrect bias to the PA transistors.
Without more specific observations, it is difficult to give a specific
answer.

Have you tried a TX Gain Calibration on your K3/K3S?  If not, try it.

On 12/19/2018 9:30 AM, Bob Harvey - K2PI wrote:

> John did you ever get an answer to this?  I have a similar situation.
>
> 73
> Harv
> K2PI
>

> --
> Sent from: http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: k3 High Current Message on 10 meters

Bob Harvey - K2PI
Hi Don:

Actually, my issue is only on 10M.  It appears that as I transmit, current consumption increases, and I get occasional high current messages.  This is more apparent on long duty cycle modes like RTTY, and at higher power levels (80-100W).  If I watch, I can see current consumption start at 16 amps, and slowly rise to 25-27 amps.

I performed a TX gain Cal successfully, and that made it a bit more stable (only rising to 20 or 21 amps now), but it still concerns me.  A friend suggested this may be blown coils in the output bandpass filters.  I can wrap new coils if needed, but don’t want to do this if that’s not the problem.

73
Harv
K2PI

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I did not see the initial post (fault of Nabble vs. the real Elecraft
reflector), but High Current messages can be caused by a low impedance
at the antenna connection, or also a fault in the KPA3, like one output
transistor that is no longer functioning properly.
There are other causes, like incorrect bias to the PA transistors.
Without more specific observations, it is difficult to give a specific
answer.

Have you tried a TX Gain Calibration on your K3/K3S?  If not, try it.

On 12/19/2018 9:30 AM, Bob Harvey - K2PI wrote:

> John did you ever get an answer to this?  I have a similar situation.
>
> 73
> Harv
> K2PI
>

> --
> Sent from: http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: k3 High Current Message on 10 meters

Don Wilhelm
Harv,

I think the key is what you said about "long cycles modes like RTTY".
Things heat up in those instances and the current will increase.  The
only 'cure' is to reduce power.  I would suggest running RTTY at a power
level of 50% of the CW/SSB rating for the transmitter.

On 12/19/2018 9:53 AM, Gadget Lust wrote:

> Hi Don:
>
> Actually, my issue is only on 10M.  It appears that as I transmit,
> current consumption increases, and I get occasional high current
> messages.  This is more apparent on long duty cycle modes like RTTY,
> and at higher power levels (80-100W).  If I watch, I can see current
> consumption start at 16 amps, and slowly rise to 25-27 amps.
>
> I performed a TX gain Cal successfully, and that made it a bit more
> stable (only rising to 20 or 21 amps now), but it still concerns me.
> A friend suggested this may be blown coils in the output bandpass
> filters.  I can wrap new coils if needed, but don’t want to do this if
> that’s not the problem.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: k3 High Current Message on 10 meters

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
Check fans and cooling. Make sure airflow is not obstructed.

Bob, K4TAX

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 19, 2018, at 8:53 AM, Gadget Lust <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Don:
>
> Actually, my issue is only on 10M.  It appears that as I transmit, current consumption increases, and I get occasional high current messages.  This is more apparent on long duty cycle modes like RTTY, and at higher power levels (80-100W).  If I watch, I can see current consumption start at 16 amps, and slowly rise to 25-27 amps.
>
> I performed a TX gain Cal successfully, and that made it a bit more stable (only rising to 20 or 21 amps now), but it still concerns me.  A friend suggested this may be blown coils in the output bandpass filters.  I can wrap new coils if needed, but don’t want to do this if that’s not the problem.
>
> 73
> Harv
> K2PI
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Understood, but the K3 is rated for full duty cycle on those modes, and this is a new issue.  I can certainly run it way under that and turn on the KPA500, but still worry something is going south.

73
Harv
K2PI

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I think the key is what you said about "long cycles modes like RTTY".
Things heat up in those instances and the current will increase.  The
only 'cure' is to reduce power.  I would suggest running RTTY at a power
level of 50% of the CW/SSB rating for the transmitter.

On 12/19/2018 9:53 AM, Gadget Lust wrote:

> Hi Don:
>
> Actually, my issue is only on 10M.  It appears that as I transmit,
> current consumption increases, and I get occasional high current
> messages.  This is more apparent on long duty cycle modes like RTTY,
> and at higher power levels (80-100W).  If I watch, I can see current
> consumption start at 16 amps, and slowly rise to 25-27 amps.
>
> I performed a TX gain Cal successfully, and that made it a bit more
> stable (only rising to 20 or 21 amps now), but it still concerns me.
> A friend suggested this may be blown coils in the output bandpass
> filters.  I can wrap new coils if needed, but don’t want to do this if
> that’s not the problem.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: k3 High Current Message on 10 meters

Howard Stephenson - K6IA
Harv,

Make sure that you are getting  13.8V at the K3 when it's in TX
Tap DISP and turn VFO B to **.* V to read that voltage.

73
Howard Stephenson K6IA

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: k3 High Current Message on 10 meters

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
I just performed a transmit test on 10M with my radio.   CW mode, key
closed, 100 watts into dummy load, PA current 17.38A as indicated on the
radio, PA voltage 13.6 volts as indicated on the radio.  After a 2
minute key closed period the PA temp was 56 C and stable.  Fans stepped
to max.

Same test on 80M.  PA current 18.3A , PA voltage 13.5V and PA settled at
57 C.  Fans stepped to max.

Also ran 10M RTTY / AFSK at 100 watts out with a 1 minute transmission
and observed about the same as above.

The 15 second transmit / receive cycle sounds like WSJT-X and FT-8 mode
or MSK-144 mode {not normally used on 10M}    Normally I do not run any
analog digital mode at 100 watts due to a bit of compression that
appears to occur in the PA stage.     My suggestion, as I do, run 50 to
75 watts with analog data. Likewise with the KPA500, about 300 to 400
watts max for analog data signals.

In working SSB do you get reports of "fuzzy audio" or with PSK-31 get
reports of poor IMD ?  If so I would suspect an issue with the KPA3A.
Consult Elecraft Tech Support.

73

Bob, K4TAX

On 12/19/2018 10:34 AM, Robert Harvey wrote:

> Hi Bob and Don:
>
> Actually, I am not transmitting data at anywhere near that length of time.  I am talking about a 10-15 second transmission in which I notice this.
>
> Just some observations:
>
> 1.  There is no cooling fan obstruction and they run normally as far as I've been able to observe.
> 2.  This is a new problem.
> 3.  The power supply is delivering 14.0 volts under load, with a line drop of .2 volts on transmit.
> 4.  This occurs into a dummy load, or any one of three matched antennas.  Even bypassing tuners into the DL or antennas shows this same effect.
> 5.  The antenna system SWR is steady, both on the DL and on the antenna's while this is taking place.
>
> If this is more or less normal behavior on 10M, and not indicative of bandpass filter failure or imminent failure, I can live with it.  I can run the KPA500, which only requires about 20W input on 10M to get full output, so I am not concerned about loss of signal all that much.
>
> Thanks and 73!
>
> Harv
> K2PI

Can you please report your current draw, temperature, etc. in a similar
manner to what Bob observed when he tested his K3S.

Maybe with that data, we can make some recommendations.

On 12/19/2018 4:26 PM, Robert Harvey wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Thanks for the information Bob.  No, I don't receive poor audio reports, and yes, I was testing with FT8 on 10M this morning, but I have also notice similar symptoms on CW.
>
> I will keep an eye on it, but it sounds like yours is "normal", and mine less so.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: k3 High Current Message on 10 meters

Nr4c
If you’re using a BALUN is it saturating or ha anything changed in your antenna system?  Connectors checked for tightness?

Sent from my iPhone
...nr4c. bill

> On Dec 19, 2018, at 2:13 PM, Bob McGraw K4TAX <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just performed a transmit test on 10M with my radio.   CW mode, key closed, 100 watts into dummy load, PA current 17.38A as indicated on the radio, PA voltage 13.6 volts as indicated on the radio.  After a 2 minute key closed period the PA temp was 56 C and stable.  Fans stepped to max.
>
> Same test on 80M.  PA current 18.3A , PA voltage 13.5V and PA settled at 57 C.  Fans stepped to max.
>
> Also ran 10M RTTY / AFSK at 100 watts out with a 1 minute transmission and observed about the same as above.
>
> The 15 second transmit / receive cycle sounds like WSJT-X and FT-8 mode or MSK-144 mode {not normally used on 10M}    Normally I do not run any analog digital mode at 100 watts due to a bit of compression that appears to occur in the PA stage.     My suggestion, as I do, run 50 to 75 watts with analog data. Likewise with the KPA500, about 300 to 400 watts max for analog data signals.
>
> In working SSB do you get reports of "fuzzy audio" or with PSK-31 get reports of poor IMD ?  If so I would suspect an issue with the KPA3A.    Consult Elecraft Tech Support.
>
> 73
>
> Bob, K4TAX
>

>> On 12/19/2018 10:34 AM, Robert Harvey wrote:
>> Hi Bob and Don:
>>
>> Actually, I am not transmitting data at anywhere near that length of time.  I am talking about a 10-15 second transmission in which I notice this.
>>
>> Just some observations:
>>
>> 1.  There is no cooling fan obstruction and they run normally as far as I've been able to observe.
>> 2.  This is a new problem.
>> 3.  The power supply is delivering 14.0 volts under load, with a line drop of .2 volts on transmit.
>> 4.  This occurs into a dummy load, or any one of three matched antennas.  Even bypassing tuners into the DL or antennas shows this same effect.
>> 5.  The antenna system SWR is steady, both on the DL and on the antenna's while this is taking place.
>>
>> If this is more or less normal behavior on 10M, and not indicative of bandpass filter failure or imminent failure, I can live with it.  I can run the KPA500, which only requires about 20W input on 10M to get full output, so I am not concerned about loss of signal all that much.
>>
>> Thanks and 73!
>>
>> Harv
>> K2PI

KPA500 Dead

Tom Berry
I was operating on FT8  20 meters for quite a long time with my KPA500
running about 400 watts and heard a few pops (like something arching).
Heard it a few more times then the amp went off.

Now it will not power on.  No lights, nothing.  I checked the fuse and
it is OK.

Can you tell me where to start looking?

Thanks

Tom AAA4VV

Message delivered to [hidden email]

KPA500 Dead

ANDY DURBIN
"Can you tell me where to start looking?"

A report of a similar event was posted just a few weeks ago.  Some of us were assuming it was a KPA500 failure but it turned out to be a failure of the input AC voltage.

Is AC power present?  Does the KPA500 power up if connected to a known good power outlet?

Andy, k3wyc

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KPA500 Dead

Alan - G4GNX
With all due respect, if you don't know where to start looking, then
please don't.

Unless you really know what you're doing, then you should not remove the
lid. Fault finding could easily result in the need to power up and
expose yourself to many hidden dangers.

It's been suggested that lack of AC power may be the cause. That should
be a safe thing to check, without opening the KPA500.

Stay safe - send it back to Elecraft. :-)

73,

Alan. G4GNX

>I was operating on FT8  20 meters for quite a long time with my KPA500 running about 400 watts and heard a few pops (like something arching).  Heard it a few more times then the amp went off.
>
>Now it will not power on.  No lights, nothing.  I checked the fuse and it is OK.
>
>Can you tell me where to start looking?
>

>Thanks
>
>Tom AAA4VV

>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KPA500 Dead

Nr4c
Fuses!

400 Watts “for quite a long time”?  Bet the fans were happy.

Sent from my iPhone
...nr4c. bill

> On Jun 5, 2020, at 12:07 PM, Tom Berry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I was operating on FT8  20 meters for quite a long time with my KPA500 running about 400 watts and heard a few pops (like something arching).  Heard it a few more times then the amp went off.
>
> Now it will not power on.  No lights, nothing.  I checked the fuse and it is OK.
>
> Can you tell me where to start looking?
>

> Thanks
>
> Tom AAA4VV

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KPA500 Dead

ke9uw
There’re a couple things in series with the transformer primaries that look like thermistors. Wonder about them. They’re labeled T and SL 1, and SL 2.

Chuck Jack Hawley
KE9UW

Sent from my iPhone, cjack

> On Jun 5, 2020, at 12:08 PM, Nr4c <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Fuses!
>
> 400 Watts “for quite a long time”?  Bet the fans were happy.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> ...nr4c. bill
>

>> On Jun 5, 2020, at 12:07 PM, Tom Berry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I was operating on FT8  20 meters for quite a long time with my KPA500 running about 400 watts and heard a few pops (like something arching).  Heard it a few more times then the amp went off.
>>
>> Now it will not power on.  No lights, nothing.  I checked the fuse and it is OK.
>>
>> Can you tell me where to start looking?
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Tom AAA4VV

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]
Chuck, KE9UW

Re: KPA500 Dead

Don Wilhelm
Tom,

The best place to start is with your AC Power.  If that is OK, the next
step is to email [hidden email].

On 6/5/2020 12:04 PM, Tom Berry wrote:
> I was operating on FT8  20 meters for quite a long time with my KPA500
> running about 400 watts and heard a few pops (like something arching).
> Heard it a few more times then the amp went off.
>
> Now it will not power on.  No lights, nothing.  I checked the fuse and
> it is OK.
>
> Can you tell me where to start looking?

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KPA500 Dead

Jim Brown-10
On 6/5/2020 9:33 AM, Alan - G4GNX wrote:
> Unless you really know what you're doing, then you should not remove the
> lid. Fault finding could easily result in the need to power up and
> expose yourself to many hidden dangers.

Ummm -- we're hams, and are supposed to have at least some technical
background. If we can't open up a product like one of the Elecraft rigs
and at least look around we ought to send our boxtop license back to the
government agency that issued it. That doesn't mean that we should
attempt circuit board level troubleshooting.

Elecraft sells most of their products as kits that require minimal
assembly of pre-tested circuit boards and other components. I built two
K3s, a KX3, two P3s with SVGA boards, and a KPA500. The KPA1500 is not
available as a kit.

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KPA500 Dead

Alan - G4GNX
Yes, we're supposed to have some technical background, but by asking
"where do I start" tends to indicate that there might just be an
insufficiency of necessary knowledge. I would hate to see someone die,
because I had failed to speak out. :-)

I also built several Elecraft products, including a couple of KPA500s,
and the manual clearly indicates screwing the lid down, before powering
up. There's a good reason for that.

My apologies to the OP. I have no wish to offend you.

73,

Alan. G4GNX

>On 6/5/2020 9:33 AM, Alan - G4GNX wrote:
>>Unless you really know what you're doing, then you should not remove the lid. Fault finding could easily result in the need to power up and expose yourself to many hidden dangers.
>
>Ummm -- we're hams, and are supposed to have at least some technical background. If we can't open up a product like one of the Elecraft rigs and at least look around we ought to send our boxtop license back to the government agency that issued it. That doesn't mean that we should attempt circuit board level troubleshooting.
>
>Elecraft sells most of their products as kits that require minimal assembly of pre-tested circuit boards and other components. I built two K3s, a KX3, two P3s with SVGA boards, and a KPA500. The KPA1500 is not available as a kit.
>
>73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]
12