loops

Merlarts
I love loops.  They're quiet, have lots of capture area, wide  bandwidth, and
when big enough, don't have the big horizontal spikes that  collinears or
other horizontal wire antennas have.

But here's my question:  Does anybody know whether the stup on Radio  Works's
superloop is open or closed?  Methinks it's probably open, but I  bet
somebody out there knows for sure.

Merlin, W3ICT, proud owner of K2100 2631
You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

RE: loops

k8wbl
For the SUPERLOOPS, they are definitely OPEN at the far end, essentially
a Bi-Square Antenna... 2 wavelengths for 40 Meters, 1 wavelength for 75
meters.  The drooping ladder line coming from the open portion acts as
an electrical short on 75 meters, making it look like a full wave loop
on 75.

I constructed a homebrew version of the same antenna 2 years ago, still
up and is my main antenna.  I fed the entire thing with ladder line at
the feed point however as I did not know what balun they used.....I was
told by some that it was a 9:1 balun, but in any case, I use the entire
loop on all bands very effectively.  Mine is horizontal and not that
high up, the feed point, fed in the corner, is at 35 feet and the lower
end, where the insulator is, is around 7 feet above the ground.  I did
not put the 1/4 wave ladder line stub on mine, but instead placed a
"test lead" across the insulator when operating on 75 meters...really
make a difference too on 75 meters.  I do this for convenience only as I
have no where to run 33 feet of ladder line form the stub, would just
lie on the ground and Im unsure if that would work properly anyways.
Good luck..   Tim  K8WBL