(no subject)

John Ragle
  Har, har, Tom...

Transitive Verb:

Infinitive
*to discretize*

Third person singular
*discretizes <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/discretizes>*

Simple past
*discretized <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/discretized>*

Past participle
*discretized <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/discretized>*

Present participle
*discretizing <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/discretizing>*

*to discretize* (/third-person singular simple present/ *discretizes
<http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/discretizes>*, /present participle/
*discretizing <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/discretizing>*, /simple
past and past participle/ *discretized
<http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/discretized>*)

This is not a "New Age" word at all. It refers to a process which has
been taken from one with */continuous/* variables (variable capacitors,
roller inductors) to one in which the L,C components are fixed, but
relays switch from one discrete value to another, as in most automatic
antenna tuners. ATUs are not "discrete" (can any of them keep a secret?)
but rather "discretized" --  big difference. I think you need a new
dictionary.

My vocabulary training took place in a very conservative (not-quite)
one-room school house many many years ago. Although we didn't use "Horn
Books," we did practice Palmer Penmanship (which I hated). I graduated
from high school in 1950.

I might add that the "Fast Fourier Transform," which is so important in
communications and with which you are doubtless familiar, is a species
of DFT, "discretized Fourier Transform," where the integral sign of a
normal FT is replaced by a summation sign, and the signal is chopped up
into small but finite bits. To call it a "discrete" FT again risks
wondering about its ability to keep secrets.  ;-)

There doesn't seem to be a word that refers to the reverse process, but
it would be something like "continuous-ized" if it did exist (which it
doesn't, thankfully).

73,

JLR

==================================

Radio Amateur N5GE wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 21:25:45 -0400, John Ragle <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Dr. Ragle,
>
> What does the word discretized mean?  I looked in the dictionary and
> can't find it.  Is it one of those new "ized/tized" words that buzz
> word users are so fond of now days?
>
> Wouldn't it be easier and more concise to type discrete?
>
> TOM, N5GE BT
>
> 73 ES GUD LUK
> AR DE N5GE SK

Re: (no subject)

Bill W4ZV

Radio Amateur N5GE wrote:

> What does the word discretized mean?

I always consult The World's Foremost Authority for such questions:

http://www.videosurf.com/video/professor-irwin-corey-at-the-cutting-room-nyc-53354277

:-)

73,  Bill

Re: (no subject)

N5GE
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 15:21:07 -0800 (PST), Bill W4ZV
<[hidden email]> wrote:

Interesting.  It's not found in the Oxford English Dictionary,
http://www.oup.com/, which I believe is the standard.  It appears in
Wikipedia which anyone can add content to...

Thanks for the link to the Professor Irwin stuff, Bill.

Sorry about the off topic thread.  My email to Dr. Ragle was intended
to be private, but he did not see it that way.

My apologies to all.

>Radio Amateur N5GE wrote:
>
>> What does the word discretized mean?
>
>I always consult The World's Foremost Authority for such questions:
>
>http://www.videosurf.com/video/professor-irwin-corey-at-the-cutting-room-nyc-53354277
>
>:-)
>
>73,  Bill

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: (no subject)

Don Wilhelm-4
OK, this has caused me to consult the American Heritage Dictionary, and
it defines 'discrete' as 1) Constituting a separate thing; individual;
distinct. 2) Consisting of unconnected distinct parts.

I believe the "secret" implication is caused by confusion with the
adjetive 'discreet' - Having or showing a judicious reserve in one's
speech or behavior. (but not necessarily 'secret').

So my study tells me that "discrete" is a perfectly good term for
describing digital samples of a signal, they are each a separate thing -
we do not have to remember 'discretized' or whatever that strange word was.

Radio Amateur N5GE wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 15:21:07 -0800 (PST), Bill W4ZV
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Interesting.  It's not found in the Oxford English Dictionary,
> http://www.oup.com/, which I believe is the standard.  It appears in
> Wikipedia which anyone can add content to...
>
> Thanks for the link to the Professor Irwin stuff, Bill.
>
> Sorry about the off topic thread.  My email to Dr. Ragle was intended
> to be private, but he did not see it that way.
>
> My apologies to all.
>

>> Radio Amateur N5GE wrote:
>>

>>> What does the word discretized mean?
>>>
>> I always consult The World's Foremost Authority for such questions:
>>
>> http://www.videosurf.com/video/professor-irwin-corey-at-the-cutting-room-nyc-53354277
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> 73,  Bill

Re: (no subject)

Alan D. Wilcox, W3DVX
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discretized  - a wonderful source of
information.

Alan D. Wilcox, W3DVX   (K2-5373, K3-40)
570-321-1516
http://WilcoxEngineering.com
Williamsport, PA 17701

Bill W4ZV wrote:

> Radio Amateur N5GE wrote:
>

>> What does the word discretized mean?
>>

> I always consult The World's Foremost Authority for such questions:
>
> http://www.videosurf.com/video/professor-irwin-corey-at-the-cutting-room-nyc-53354277
>
> :-)
>
> 73,  Bill

Verbification

k6dgw
Don Wilhelm wrote:
> OK, this has caused me to consult the American Heritage Dictionary, and
> it defines 'discrete' as 1) Constituting a separate thing; individual;
> distinct. 2) Consisting of unconnected distinct parts.

Don't know what the problem is here, we hams have verbified, nounified,
and adjectified Q-Signals since people on 75 at night would key on their
1 KW AM transmitters with a relay "clang" you could still hear
resonating in their shack as their signal first arrived at your receiver.

"What's his QSX?"
"Man, the QRM is fierce tonight"
"You are being QRM'd by that stupid net a Kc below us"
"Are you sure P51DX's QRG is right?"
"Tom, you're way over Q5 tonight."

OK the last one is a combination of several, especially considering that
the QSA scale goes from 1-5.  I presume 'way over Q5' is akin to 'bigger
than infinity.'  But you probably get the idea.

Every time I set out to make my world-famous signature baked chicken, I
start by 'discretizing' the dead bird.  It makes perfect sense to me,
and if Webster doesn't agree, he can go pound sand, and I don't know
Oxford.  I also fully understood the explanation of the turbo
encabulator and don't know what the fuss is all about for that either.

My wife's birthday [1 Apr] approacheth rapidly, might want to brace
yourselves in the well-known "Skeptic's Position" and check your back
for a paper fish.

73,  Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA

Alright, it isn't world-famous but it is well-known in a small community
a little north of Auburn, and I'll admit, "signature" is a stretch.

Re: (no subject)

Bill Coleman-2

On Mar 27, 2010, at 5:30 PM, John Ragle wrote:

> This is not a "New Age" word at all. It refers to a process which has
> been taken from one with */continuous/* variables (variable capacitors,
> roller inductors) to one in which the L,C components are fixed, but
> relays switch from one discrete value to another, as in most automatic
> antenna tuners. ATUs are not "discrete" (can any of them keep a secret?)
> but rather "discretized" --  big difference. I think you need a new
> dictionary.

In the compression field, we generally used the word "quantize" for this process.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [hidden email]
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901