(no subject)

John Ragle
Differences between discrete and discretize: Latter is a transitive verb
belonging to the engineering/mathematics/physics world (and perhaps
beyond). It would be difficult to "discrete" something. "To Discrete"
does not exist as a transitive verb.

Your intent may have been to comment privately, but it didn't come out
that way...all your persiflage went out on the reflector, and its intent
was clearly to embarrass. Using the reflector to make fun of something
you may not understand is pretty bad form, but more important than that,
your sport-making interfered with a point with which I was trying to
help a list participant.

The point is that when one designs an automatic ATU without servos (like
the old Collins AN/ART-13), one is pretty much stuck with discretized
components. The ATUs for the K2/K3 are carefully designed, whereas the
discrete components in some other commercial automatic ATUs are not as
carefully chosen. The K3 ATU is not an option I would forgo,
particularly if I were considering mobile operation.

JLR

Re: (no subject)

lstavenhagen
>Differences between discrete and discretize: Latter is a transitive verb
belonging to the engineering/mathematics/physics world (and perhaps
beyond). It would be difficult to "discrete" something. "To Discrete"
does not exist as a transitive verb. <

For what it's worth, the pattern used for adopting loan words (or synthesizing new ones) in English depends partly on the semantic makeup of the original word. "Discretize" is a verbal form that will probably become a perfectly acceptable term in the language in general for giving some item the property of being discrete. In fact, this "-ize" suffixation is a general pattern for creating this type of verb where the idea is to transmit a property to something.

Non-working examples would be synthesized verbs like "to hoover up", a term common in many British English dialects, "to email" which has a transitive form, etc. One can't "hooverize" or "emailize" without really sitting down and thinking about it pretty hard....

Oh well, just the morning coffee talking hi hi....
73,
LS
W5QD