one-microphone question

Steve Jackson-5
Someone posted about getting a new mic as a gift, and
the desire to make the one mic operate across several
rigs.

This is actually quite "do-able" if you're handy and
wish to make an adapter as mentioned.  I've done this
and was very happy with the results.

I used an inexpensive small enclosure for the adapter,
into which I installed a female Foster 8-pin jack, and
then a short pigtail with the rig's matching plug on
the end.  The mic was set up to work 'directly' with
an Icom rig, and pluged into the Foster jack.  Because
the Icom mics often have higher output levels than
other radios need, it was easier to drop the levels
resistively than to boost them!  Besides, I'm a
long-time Icom fan.

The audio levels, pinout, connector differences, and
etc., are made to be compatible with the other radios
simply by changing the adapter box.  In most cases I
also added external PTT capability (phono jack for
contact closure) and even an map-illumination LED
(a-la KX1) in one situation where I could source the
extra 12 mA.

I happen to be a local area networking 'guru' of sorts
so I have the needed pro-grade tools to work with
RJ-45 type connectors.  If you don't have such, fear
not:  a few dollars will get you a stranded-conductor,
all-8-wire available RJ-45 patch cord.  Cut into two,
it's good for a set of adapters to newer rigs that use
the modular connector instead of the Foster jack (as
used on the K2).

One more thing:  Heil sells (via places like Universal
Radio) a new Foster male connector that is *very*
nice.  You can buy a pair for $8 or so, which is a
good price.    The cable clamp has two 'jaws' one for
the "Heilwire" or other conventional cable, and a
second, smaller jaw for an auxiliary wire such as a
footswitch or PSK31 interface.  I recommend checking
this out, along with the 'Heilwire' itself which is a
little pricey if examined only on a per-foot basis,
but I have found none better, ever.

The K2 is very easy to interface with, and so is the
IC-703.  You'll need to work on figuring out the
'pinning' for any other radios.