power switch problem

M0XDF
My K3 appears to have developed a power switch problem - it won't turn
off.
While away on Scout camp last week, I allowed another 2 hams to work
the K3 while I was not present (one is quite young and the other an
adult) - later on, one of them noticed that the K3 had turned itself
on (after they had turned it off and walked away). The K3 was working
correctly for the first few days and as far as I know, was not
'bounced' around while sitting on the table during the week. All
functions appear correct except for this.

After investigation, I found I can not turn it off. Pressing the power
button results in one of the following behaviours:

Most common: LCD just shows background colour (light is on), LEDs are
off, effectively the rig is off (no AF etc), but the LCD is not and I
can't turn it back on with a press of the power button.

Occasionally: K3 turns off correctly, but then turns back within a
matter of seconds.

Less occasionally: as above, but turns back on after a few minutes.

Rarely: Appears to turn off as per first scenario, but LCD flickers.

To resolve this, I have to pull out the power cord and plug it back
in, in which case the K3 turns on - so it's like the power switch is
permanently on.

This is not the ALARM function. In fact, I tried the alarm to see if
it would turn on correctly - it won't, but it did bleep at me when I
pulled the power out the back and plugged it back in.

I have tried a 'master reset' holding the power switch in, it make no
different, doesn't reset and doesn't turn off etc.

In preparation for the reset, I went through and noted all the config
settings, changing a couple on the way. After that, the K3 turned off
ok, but came back on after a few minutes.

Holding the power switch while applying power results in the LEDs
coming on, but nothing else.

I thought this might have been a problem with dampness, but the rig
has been in my indoor shake for 3 days now. I also considered supply
voltage, since at camp I was using a L/A battery, but its back on the
13.615v supply now (I have a Medusa Research Power Analyzer).

I'm about to install the KRX3, so will be taking it apart, but would
prefer to resolve this first.
Any suggestions?

This has been working perfectly since December.
73 de M0XDF, K3 #174

--
Study without desire spoils the memory, and it retains nothing that it
takes in.  -- Leonardo da Vinci

Re: power switch problem - fixed

M0XDF
For those that replied and for anyone else for that matter :)
The problem with my K3 not turning off was a faulty KIO3 board (Pt#
E850235), the one with the Acc. and RS232 connectors. Elecraft sent a
replacement board and this resolved it.
I will post a description of the problem, steps taken to isolate it to
the KIO3 board and possible solution (wash it!) to the Wiki asap.
--
Cats know exactly how we feel.  They don't give a damn…
but they know.