re: Headset selection

Mike Scott-7
>Bill wrote: My K3 will be shipped out any day now! (woo-hoo)
>I've decided to pickup a Heil headset, but I'm not sure if I should
>go with the Elecraft proset-k2, or just run out to HRO and grab
>a proset-4, etc.
I have the "On Air" headset from US Interface http://usinterface.com/
It comes with the Kenwood mic connector and requires bias (electret). You
can plug it in the front or back panel. I use the back panel without the
Kenwood adapter. I get good audio reports and it is comfortable to wear.
Price is $40 and requires separate PTT switch.

I made one modification. If you note the picture of the young girl wearing
the headset the cable comes out of the same ear as the boom microphone. To
keep cord movements from getting into my transmitted voice, I used wire ties
to reroute the cord over the top to the other ear. Now when I move my head
the microphone doesn't "hear" the cord move.

Glen, by the way gave me good service.

Mike Scott - AE6WA
Tarzana, CA (DM04 / near LA)
K3-100 #508/ KX1  #1311