re: Poor performance on 6M

Tom-5
     My experience was just the opposite. I had the K3 and TS-2000 side by
side and the K3, without any external preamp, heard signals that the
TS-2000 could not pull out. That was a strange opening. I have an ARR
6 meter preamp that I can plug into the back of the K3, but that is
in the basement. There is one advantage with the TS-2000, in that I
knew if I was within 30 KHz of K8EB, who is 11 miles away with a
monster signal! I purposely would get within 5 kHz of him on the K3,
and never heard him.

    I was jumping between my home rig, and my remote base, which is also a
TS-2000, which is a very easy rig to remote control. But I found my
local K3 better than either 2000. I ordered my 2nd K3 a while ago, to
replace the TS-2000 at the six meter remote base.

tom, K8TB

>Roger K8RS said,

K3 Group,
              I was looking forward to the ARRL June QSO Party this
weekend to see how the K3 did on 6M.
              Result: Not very well!
              When a fellow ham called to correct a Grid Square report
that I had missed, I knew I'd have to switch over to my
Kenwood 2000 where I could hear much better, The change was
so dramatic that I was floored.  Obviously, we need a lift
on 6M receive!  Transmit seemed fine with solid reports, but
the weak audio on receive was a severe handicap.
              More later!

Re: re: Poor performance on 6M

Rajiv Dewan, N2RD
My experience agrees with Roger:  poor 6m receive performance on hearing
weak signals.  I am going to measure the MDS to see if it is all OK.

Raj, N2RD  K3 #170

[hidden email] wrote:

>      My experience was just the opposite. I had the K3 and TS-2000 side by
> side and the K3, without any external preamp, heard signals that the
> TS-2000 could not pull out. That was a strange opening. I have an ARR
> 6 meter preamp that I can plug into the back of the K3, but that is
> in the basement. There is one advantage with the TS-2000, in that I
> knew if I was within 30 KHz of K8EB, who is 11 miles away with a
> monster signal! I purposely would get within 5 kHz of him on the K3,
> and never heard him.
>
>     I was jumping between my home rig, and my remote base, which is also a
> TS-2000, which is a very easy rig to remote control. But I found my
> local K3 better than either 2000. I ordered my 2nd K3 a while ago, to
> replace the TS-2000 at the six meter remote base.
>
> tom, K8TB
>

>> Roger K8RS said,
>>

> K3 Group,
>               I was looking forward to the ARRL June QSO Party this
> weekend to see how the K3 did on 6M.
>               Result: Not very well!
>               When a fellow ham called to correct a Grid Square report
> that I had missed, I knew I'd have to switch over to my
> Kenwood 2000 where I could hear much better, The change was
> so dramatic that I was floored.  Obviously, we need a lift
> on 6M receive!  Transmit seemed fine with solid reports, but
> the weak audio on receive was a severe handicap.
>               More later!

re: Poor performance on 6M

Joseph Trombino, Jr
I made several QSO's in the VHF contest this past weekend on 6M using a 40M
EDZ at a whopping 15 feet (thanks to a recent tornado) and sigs were
excellent...I turned the pre-amp off and could still easily copy signals.

The amateur who had receive problems on 6M must have a problem in his
K3...the basic K3 is excellent on 6M....at leat at my QTH here in FM14 (NC).

                            73, Joe W2KJ
                            I QRP, therefore I am